Microshaft/Windows??

Over the weekend i made a trip up to Iowa, to visit my brother in a medical rehab facility. My laptop's got win 8.1 on it, and the settings for windows update, have for years, been set to "check updates but ask before installing".. Yet after powering it off, driving back, and powering it on, i had to wait for almost 30 min to do anything, as it was installing a batch of updates (3), and after finally getting it up, i noticed the windows update setting had some how shifted to "auto-update"??

I've heard some others saying micro-soft can force updates out.. BUT not anything about 'your update settings changing like that.
Has anyone else experienced something of that nature???

PS Mods if this is in the wrong forum, move it to the correct spot.
Yeah, this is the wrong forum
When they updated their TOS, it switched over the settings. Pretty fucked up they can do that.
Over the weekend i made a trip up to Iowa, to visit my brother in a medical rehab facility. My laptop's got win 8.1 on it, and the settings for windows update, have for years, been set to "check updates but ask before installing".. Yet after powering it off, driving back, and powering it on, i had to wait for almost 30 min to do anything, as it was installing a batch of updates (3), and after finally getting it up, i noticed the windows update setting had some how shifted to "auto-update"??

I've heard some others saying micro-soft can force updates out.. BUT not anything about 'your update settings changing like that.
Has anyone else experienced something of that nature???

PS Mods if this is in the wrong forum, move it to the correct spot. Originally Posted by garhkal

yes they *tried* to do that with a forced update of windows 10 when I was on win7. they changed the update settings. so, win update sees you're still on win 8.1,

it'll change the update settings on you until you update to win10.

theres a software the prevented win updates from being forced to a different setting.

forget the name, but do a search. I posted the name of the software that does the job.
No big deal. Got both W7 & W10 on the same PC and feel they are basically the same, just W10 has a different look. They both run fine but are not my main OS.