I am here to bury Ruth Bader Ginsberg and not to praise her

Not just another RBG thread. This thread is about the world's reaction to her death.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg was a woman, a Jew, a widow, and a jurist. What she was not was a Christ figure, a martyr, a world icon, or someone who was above reproach in her job. She made mistakes and she abused her position on the court. In other words, she was a human being and partisan democrat.
I am amused by the reaction of people towards her expected death at 87 after four bouts of cancer and how people responded to the unexpected death of Antonin Scalia in 2016.
People magazine said that Scalia died at a "secret gathering of hunters" and the names of those present at unknown.
Ginsberg died surrounded by family and friends.
Scalia was murdered according to several web sites both mainstream and fringe.
The left and right are praising Ginsberg but in 2016 the left was less than charitable with their faint praise. Several celebrities and journalists celebrated the idea that Obama would get another Supreme Court pick.
Ginsberg was a partisan. She held on to deny Trump a pick. If Hillary had been elected in 2016, RBG would have retired 15 minutes later.
I can imagine the scene when her body is carried through the streets of New York like some Muslim cleric.
I read that the world is saddened by her death...why? She had nothing to do with the rest of the world. Oh, yes, she said her opinions were based on how the world felt about things instead of our laws but that doesn't mean the world is affected by her passing.

This isn't on Ginsberg, this is on the people that have announced that they will cause trouble should Trump dare to carry out his Constitutional responsibilities and nominate a replacement.
Ginsburg abused the court to press her personal political agenda.

I don't feel sad when an 87 year old dies, when they have had the ultimate white privilege like RBG.

I feel sad when an 18 year old soldier dies in war, or an innocent kid dies of cancer.
For Whom the Bell Tolls
by
John Donne

Next

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
  • oeb11
  • 09-19-2020, 02:16 PM
Ginsburg abused the court to press her personal political agenda.

I don't feel sad when an 87 year old dies, when they have had the ultimate white privilege like RBG.

I feel sad when an 18 year old soldier dies in war, or an innocent kid dies of cancer. Originally Posted by friendly fred

Amen - FF!
I find it a little disturbing that so many people are taking one of her last requests to not be replaced until after the election as some sort of binding order that has to be executed. She caused this dangerous and chaotic situation by hanging on until the very end, when many other justices had the foresight to resign before their faculties left them.

I do think the whole "lifetime appointment" idea needs to be re-examined by Congress. 20 year appointments should fulfill the original goal to buffer SCOTUS from the changes in political composition of the legislature and the executive.
Its very similar to the left using the words of a poem by Emma Lazarus to alter our immigration policy.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
one of her last requests to not be replaced until after the election. Originally Posted by SecretE
From what understand that is the after the fact claim by one person
  • oeb11
  • 09-19-2020, 04:12 PM
SE - amen and well written

thank you!
So this is about yous Yanks fighting for the right to take away peoples freedoms?

Sounds typically hypocritical, eh?

WSNDism is killing your country.
cdc hates that ruthies cancer was so well known. They couldve added to their covid count!
I find it a little disturbing that so many people are taking one of her last requests to not be replaced until after the election as some sort of binding order that has to be executed. She caused this dangerous and chaotic situation by hanging on until the very end, when many other justices had the foresight to resign before their faculties left them.

I do think the whole "lifetime appointment" idea needs to be re-examined by Congress. 20 year appointments should fulfill the original goal to buffer SCOTUS from the changes in political composition of the legislature and the executive. Originally Posted by SecretE

I would agree with 20 but even 16 would work too. Two Presidents, possibly 2 terms, plenty enough time to get past who did the nominating.

I keep hearing John Roberts in my ear saying "we don't have Democrat Justices or Republican Justices". Of course we do John and if you don't understand that, maybe you shouldn't be on the court. RBG proved supposedly with her last words that she was a Democrat Justice through and through.

To the winner go the spoils.
From what understand that is the after the fact claim by one person Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

But we can all believe it because it rings true and everybody knows it.
cdc hates that ruthies cancer was so well known. They couldve added to their covid count! Originally Posted by winn dixie
They could try to slip it in later...
So this is about yous Yanks fighting for the right to take away peoples freedoms?

Sounds typically hypocritical, eh?

WSNDism is killing your country. Originally Posted by HoeHummer

so you make a token appearance as Yssup Rider but you plan to stick with your Shoresy identity. Got it

BAHAHHAAAAAA
so you make a token appearance as Yssup Rider but you plan to stick with your Shoresy identity. Got it

BAHAHHAAAAAA Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
I liked it earlier in another thread when he/they were talking to himself/one another