Hobbying Cancelled on Account of Allergies

I have NEVER had problems with allergies until this Spring; especially the last few days. I'm in the mood (again!) to make an appointment with one of Big D's many beauties but can't quit sneezing and/or pulling out another Kleenex! Once again it's over 3000 and I'm afraid that if I make an appointment I'd be blowing more than my load on whomever I met.

Misery does love company so hopefully others are having the same symptoms!
My problem is with my eyes. I'll be driving along and one or both eyes will start burning like a sumbitch. If it's only one I just cover it up and keep trucking. If both start burning at the same time I have to pull over. Someone told me to take a daily dose of Benadryl but I'm not sure about that.
Man, I'm with both of you guys. I'm in allergy hell right now!

FWOG, Benadryl absolutely knocks me out, so I'd be careful with when you take it. I find Zyrtec (or however the hell you spell it) helps me during the day.

Neco
I am miserable without Allegra. It doesn't make you sleepy, doesn't raise your BP, doesn't kill your appetite or disconnect you. You just feel better. Without it, I can't see or stop sneezing. I love my doctor
I thought you were going to say you were allergic to pussy. Whew!
  • hd
  • 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Benadryl is good, but I've had good luck with the Advil cold and sinus liquid gels
The prescription stuff may work better than the OTC stuff. It's worth a try. Particularly the prescription eye drops like patinol or the nose spray like astelin.

For the best relief and the best long-term relief, consider getting the shots. It takes a while to start working, but once it starts working, you have real relief 24 hours a day with almost no side effects. Then after 5 years or so, you may not need the shots at all any more.

Be sure the doctor you get will allow you to give yourself the shots once your dosage has settled. They'll probably require you to come into the office for the first few shots whenever they up the does, but after that, he should let you give yourself the shots. Some of them require you to come in for all the shots, but that's just the doctor ripping you off. While we're all squeamish about the shots, it's more time convenient to do it yourself, and after a while, it's no big deal.
The prescription stuff may work better than the OTC stuff. It's worth a try. Particularly the prescription eye drops like patinol or the nose spray like astelin.

For the best relief and the best long-term relief, consider getting the shots. It takes a while to start working, but once it starts working, you have real relief 24 hours a day with almost no side effects. Then after 5 years or so, you may not need the shots at all any more.

Be sure the doctor you get will allow you to give yourself the shots once your dosage has settled. They'll probably require you to come into the office for the first few shots whenever they up the does, but after that, he should let you give yourself the shots. Some of them require you to come in for all the shots, but that's just the doctor ripping you off. While we're all squeamish about the shots, it's more time convenient to do it yourself, and after a while, it's no big deal. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
I agree in regards to the ease of doing the shots at home. That said, it's not just a matter of 'ripping you off' in regards to the allergists that require patients to get shots at the office. It's a huge, huge ass liability if the patient has a reaction (which can happen at any time/any dose) and is not at the office at the time. As the allergist is the one that is still prescribing the shots, its his or her ass on the line if something happens.

Be sure the doctor you get will allow you to give yourself the shots once your dosage has settled. They'll probably require you to come into the office for the first few shots whenever they up the does, but after that, he should let you give yourself the shots. Some of them require you to come in for all the shots, but that's just the doctor ripping you off. While we're all squeamish about the shots, it's more time convenient to do it yourself, and after a while, it's no big deal. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
I was responsible for an allergy clinic while in the Army. There is no way in hell I would have ever let someone take the shots on there own. One time the dosage works, and then the next time they can have a reaction. Trust me, I wasn't making more money.

I had several patients have issues and had to perform CPR on one patient.
We have to put a stop to this now!!! No seeing us providers will never fly. on top of that taking all those drugs!!! it might never stand up again.A little spray never hurt anyone and besides that ive got a shower. we need to try natural cures first such as BBBJ or DATY,what the , we got a whole list we can try, and if that wont work Ive got a cold rag to hold on your forehead XOXO chelsea
Zyrtec is awesome!
I have been plagued with allergies for years....took the shots for a while and yes...it helped, but had to stop taking them. Anywho...some natural things that do help are to get honey from somewhere local. It contains the pollens in your area and taking one tbsp daily is supposed to build your immunity to them. Cinnamon and garlic are supposed to help with the sinus issues that arise. I wouldn't recommend mixing the two though....ewwww. LOL

Shower immediately when you come home in the evening to wash off any pollen that has gotten on your skin and in your hair, and be sure to keep the surfaces in your house dusted and your floors clean. Change the air filters in your house more often during this time. Wash your bedding often. All this is a lot of work, but well worth relieving some of the symptoms or at least easing them some along with taking allergy meds. Benedryl does make a non-drowsy, but it doesn't work as well the regular Benadryl. Also....use the re-circulated air option in your vehicle and keep the windows rolled up...and yes....keep your car as clean as possible. Hang in there! I know it can be a miserable time!
I moved here 30 years ago and after about 5 years I started to get my ass kicked by allergies. I think my body has evolved and adapted but whatever it is that gets to me can still sometimes kick my ass.

However, I've been on Nasonex spray for about the last 2-3 months and it has worked great. I have not had anything close to what I would consider allergies/sinus issues.

But if I did have that issue, hobbying would not be pleasant. Sniffling during DATY = turn off for the lady.
Ahhhhh yes thank god for the Nasonex spray and also for Allegra D. If not for these my allergies would be kicking my azz.
Claritan is the charm. In a pinch, Benadryl Nondrowsy is a winner.