Idea-How to Quickly Grow Your Hobby "Slush" Fund...Seriously!

Hi ALL! This post is open for discussion to both hobbyist and providers. It's something that "hit me" on the way back from a trade show last night.

For better or worse-I recently had a "career change." To make a long story short-and not entirely accurate--I now sell "high end vacuum cleaners." They are seriously and without a doubt the best in the world. In fact-they are so "upper end" that they are only sold in home demonstrations and at trade shows-you have to see them work to appreciate and understand them. They come with a FOREVER warranty-the company has been in business over 100 years and they have thousands upon thousands of rabidly happy owners. Pass the "vacuum" on to your kids-company honors the warranty to replace ANYTHING for whatever reason. Plus-the product (not really a vacuum cleaner) is manufactured entirely 100% in the USA.

The suggested and quoted price at home shows is anywhere from $2795 to $6000. It's NOT the "cheap stuff." It would make a great gift for a spouse, a girlfriend, a mother, a sister--you'd become an instant hero. This product can't be bought online, it's not advertised. Existing customers can purchase direct from their distributor. Enough "sales stuff." Here's my thought.

If a hobbyist wanted to almost instantly build their hobby slush fund-buy this product. It comes in a number of sets--with the "distributor to you" price being substantially less than the $2695/$6000.

Here's the way I imagine it working. You decide you want to increase your hobby slush fund-and perhaps assuage some of the usually accompanying guilt. You buy the $2795 product--for $1795 (plus taxes and shipping). You pay via check or credit/debit through PAYPAL--thus protecting yourself and creating a record of the amount of the transaction. After your payment has cleared-I return $1000 of it to you. You know have a high end gift on it's way to your spouse/household--and $1000 in your "hobby slush fund." This product makes an excellent gift-whether anniversary, holiday, or birthday. It's something 90% of all women would buy for themselves if they could afford it-or get their spouse to agree to buy it.

This is NOT pie in the sky or a scam. In fact-will be at a local Dallas trade show-open to the public--this weekend and again in September. If you were to buy it there-my partner would take your card info for $1795 (plus shipping and handling)--you wouldn't involve PAYPAL--and there wouldn't be the "hobby kick back."

Do I benefit? Absolutely! The company pays me commission on each product sold.

Will you (the hobbyest) get paperwork indicating the sale and all the warranty info? Absolutely! I've just kind of figured a way to run the payment through PAYPAL to accommodate the sale. Anyway-paid through PAYPAL, you'd be protected. And-whether paying by PAYPAL or check-the "paperwork" generated would be your proof that you paid $X for the product-only you (and I) know the cost was actually $Y.

I'm sure there will be skeptics and questions. Feel free to post or PM me for details as to the real nature of the product. It has an incredible reputation and very few distributors with a very real policy on selling online--thus my reluctance to publicize details.

I know this seems and feels like "hobby laundering"--but I'm thinking outside the box.
Wow. Sorry, but I don't see too many people willing to rush out and pay $2000 for an appliance when they can get perfectly decent ones at 10% of that price. But then, I'm frugal. Good luck with your new venture, sir.
  • JnR82
  • 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Edit: Apparently I lack discretion and patience.
This product, your talking about, wouldn't happen to have the word
" Rainbow" in it, would it?

Imagine That
I'm retired, living on a pension, already own a vacuum cleaner and just paid off my mortgage.
Think I'll just use some of the extra money that was going to my mortgage company as my, "slush fund".
Lets see...$3025.58 / 20 = $151.28 hmmmm....If my dirt devil only last one year!!!! Besides SO would shoot me if I spent $3k on a vacumn instead of jewlery for her. Nice try tho, hope somebody bites.
This is just a thought, not an offer. First let’s be clear, it is not so far. I would purchase the stuff valued at $2,795 for $1,795 and then get $1,000 of it back, right?
You buy the $2795 product--for $1795 (plus taxes and shipping). You pay via check or credit/debit through PAYPAL--thus protecting yourself and creating a record of the amount of the transaction. After your payment has cleared-I return $1000 of it to you.”

Would you pay me the $1,000 up front with no receipt or written agreement, and then wait for my order? Here in lies the problem. If it went south I guess I could show LE and my SO my ECCIE account messages. I am not suggesting you would not do as you say, I just don’t know you.

BTW, Damn Traci you are hot.
Traci-thanks for the response-and I understand your line of thinking. There's a certain segment of the "hobby" that draws the line at paying $100 for a session. Many who read about a "high roller hottie" or someone that offers $300 sessions would shake their head and wonder what's so special about THAT p****? In fact-it's often joke about gold plated pussy! So I understand the context of your comment.

That being said-two thoughts.

First-let's assume for a second it's a vacuum cleaner. You can buy one at Walmart and replace it about every year--for about $65. Or you could buy the last one you'll EVER buy for $650. The actually product is not a vacuum cleaner. Company HAS been in business over a century-very reputable. Their are any number of benefits to using the product. This isn't a disposable product-it's a FOREVER product.

The second thought is--part of the reason for the idea and suggestion is to essentially "launder" funds so guys can accumulate funds to see wonderful providers like yourself. There are actually threads on here and other sites where guys talk about tough times and growing the "hobby fund" $20 at a time--whether it's an expense check, bonus check, or "inflated greens fees" that would allow money to accumulate a bit at a time. My idea was merely for the hobbyest that might want to speed the process-and at the same time, do something kind for his spouse to clear the conscience.

And--Imagine That--NO--no RAINBOW in the name. Not really a vacuum cleaner. But is a home type product that primarily women use in the house.

OK--Marv and Ratchet--it's NOT a vacuum cleaner. It is a high dollar home product that's seen at every Home & Garden Show and every State Fair. It is in a very real sense "Craftsman quality"--buy it once and enjoy a forever warranty.

Roundpound-good questions. The PAYPAL transaction would actually be both your/my record of the $2795 transaction-which no doubt would suffice for all reasons (say spouse wonders what it cost.). The written receipt to you (same as if you had bought it at a home show or state fair) would be your warranty and record of the real cost--and you would have that for your records.

I'm just thinking out of the box--and like I said--I get a commission off product sold so this is just another way to market it.
OK--Marv and Ratchet--it's NOT a vacuum cleaner. Originally Posted by txirishman
Your words not mine, I now sell "high end vacuum cleaners."
Marv-notice the quotation marks " " surrounding the words high end vacuum cleaner. Then later in the same paragraph I write Plus-the product (not really a vacuum cleaner) is manufactured entirely 100% in the USA.
For not being a vacuum cleaner, your original post sure uses the word a lot. Forgive us for being confused.
I understand Traci-no worries. Believe me-it would be ALOT easier if I used the name brand and actual product but for reasons that are pretty obvious, I can't.
Roundpound-good questions. The PAYPAL transaction would actually be both your/my record of the $2795 transaction-which no doubt would suffice for all reasons (say spouse wonders what it cost.). The written receipt to you (same as if you had bought it at a home show or state fair) would be your warranty and record of the real cost--and you would have that for your records.

TY Tx irsh man, but that is not an answer to any of my questions or any impotant points. I do see that Iwould pay $2,795 now and not $1,795 as you stated.
You buy the $2795 product--for $1795 (plus taxes and shipping). You pay via check or credit/debit through PAYPAL--thus protecting yourself and creating a record of the amount of the transaction. After your payment has cleared-I return $1000 of it to you.”

I now suggest that everyone run away (not walk), from this offer.

Good luck,
For some reason I see my slush fund getting smaller.