exempt emissions 24 year old car

I have had this discussion several times, and answers are always different.

To be exempt from Texas emissions tests, a car must be through 24 years old, according to the state wording.

In 2017, a car made in 1993 will be 24 years old, and going on the 25th year. So 1993 cars are through 24 years old, and should be exempt starting next year.

Yet many people at the state say this car must be another year older to be through 24 years old. But that is not correct.
If it is about age not model year, try using the production date.

edit: there is a state service center here in houston. I've talked to the lead there and he seemed like a fair guy. Fair meaning he'd allow anything with in the law. Call the center and talk to him.
maybe Trump will grant you an old ass car exemption

in all seriousness I do hear it's part of his day 1 agenda. lol
To quote Ronald Regan "Here we go again."
maybe Trump will grant you an old ass car exemption

in all seriousness I do hear it's part of his day 1 agenda. lol Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
Texas already has waivers for poor people.

Sad they allow the poor to pollute but not us that pay for the government. Bad economics should apply to everyone.

Oh....back to the "seriousness"....your negro president tried that already....and it was a failure.

And....it was reported that he regretted the program.

A study published after the program by researchers at the*University of Delaware concluded that for each vehicle trade, the program had a net cost of approximately $2,000, with total costs outweighing all benefits by $1.4 billion.
I'm glad to see I live rent free in your head. but when I decide to push the nuclear red button I will delight in seeing you squirm ;-)

welcome to pre hell GS and Happy Thanksgiving....."brother" ;-)
Your other handles are much less contentious ^^^
More threats.....
The vehicle has to be at least 25 years old in order to be exempt from an emissions test.

DFW and Houston/Galveston Area Motorists
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will be subject to one of the following emissions tests.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx
absolutely
Some people at the state say it is like this - starting 2017, a 1993 car is exempt if
it has a JAN 1993 production date. Other 1993 cars are not exempt until the month of their production arrives.
The quote I posted above is straight from the state's website. Vehicle registration only has model year an nothing about the actual production date. For example you can buy a 2017 model right now in November 2016 (obviously it was made prior to 2017). The vehicle registration will say 2017 year model.
There is a production date on each car made, usually on a metal plate in the door. It gives the month of production. I guess that is what the state goes by to determine if a car is more than 24 years old.
I guess that is what the state goes by to determine if a car is more than 24 years old. Originally Posted by VitaMan
The state goes by the vehicle registration of which the information comes from the vehicle title. It does not include the production date only the model year.
That is not what the TX dmv mentioned to me.