Beware of Valet Parking

I had a wonderful two hour session at an upscale hotel recently. Arriving a bit early I left the car (key on a keyless entry fob) with the valet and paid for three hours, getting a valet ticket with which to claim the car.

When I came out, they handed me the fob minus the key.
They could not find the key.

WHO and WHY would they take the key off the split ring attached to the fob anyhow?
I asked, "Where is the key?"
First they denied there ever was a key on the fob.
Then they said it was in the car (not!). Would you really leave a key in a car in Houston?
They pulled out every set of keys for every car they said they had, and mine was not there.
They roamed around looking for it on the ground. . . WHERE IS MY KEY?

It is not like I could just have a replacement key made either. My new 2011's key has a milled slot on BOTH sides, which prevents someone merely cutting a bogus key and taking off with the car. Replacing this key would cost more than $100. Fortunately I had the extra set in my CH fanny pack. I could drive the car, and could show them what the lost key looks like. As they ran around like keystone Kops, I walked into the lobby and stepping up the concierge desk, asked to see the manager on duty.

A man stood identifying himself as the manager on duty. In fact he was the director of security, not a manager. I told him they had lost my key. He asked in what room I was registered. I told him I was a visitor. He said, "Oh, a visitor", in a voice that sounded dismissive.

I asked him what bearing my being a visitor had to do with his response to this screwup. He got defensive tried to deflect the real issue (they had lost my key), and in fact refused to help even after the valets admitted to him that they could not find the key. I got no help from him. In fact he hindered the process of searching, discovery and recovery.

No one could tell me why the key had been removed from the fob in the first place.

One valet told us it must have fallen off somewhere accidentally.
Does anyone really believe a lone key on a split ring will accidentally come off? It takes work to get a key on or off one of those things. I said as much.

It was almost 9 PM and we were getting no where so I asked for them to give me a receipt acknowledging that they had lost my key, to be signed by a supervisor or manager on duty. I intended to have key made and present a bill and be reimbursed. This director of security told me no, and directed the valets to not sign any such note, and walked off. I told him I would call the police. He said defiantly, "Go ahead. It will not do you any good."

So I called the police. Ten minutes later a unit arrived. HPD told me if they did not find the key, it would be reported as theft. And he told them that.

They found the key about ten minutes later. Somehow it had made its way from MY fob to the fob of a HONDA which has a similar key.
No one has answered the questions,
"Who took the key off my fob? Why was the key taken off the fob?"

WTF!!!

HPD would not let me confront the director of security who had stonewalled me.

I never got an apology.

But I did get my key.

BEWARE of VALET PARKING!
BEWARE of ABSOLUT!

Dude, if I were a provider this story of you being a drama queen would get you on my DNS list.

WoW
BEWARE of ABSOLUT!

Dude, if I were a provider this story of you being a drama queen would get you on my DNS list.

WoW Originally Posted by KoolHandLuke
How is that being a drama queen? Assholes lost his key. I don't carry a spare. I would have been pissed.
That's why I always park at the Pharmacy across the street or behind the diner down the road.

Now, I do have to admit the lengthy story is vaguely familiar in a roguish sort of way.
could you even imagine calling the cops at a providers incall?
could you even imagine calling the cops at a providers incall? Originally Posted by notanewbie
No,
That took some balls!
hope she had some too, I bet she was freaked.

"fanny pack"=balls?

maybe banging off your ass...
yep
Did you ever complain to the hotel general manager? Seems like something fishy is going on there.
could you even imagine calling the cops at a providers incall? Originally Posted by notanewbie
Hobbying + cops = bad
hope she had some too, I bet she was freaked.

"fanny pack"=balls?

maybe banging off your ass... Originally Posted by notanewbie

Did I miss something? Did she even know about it? If she did, Yeah, she was probably freaked out!
Absolut + keyboard =
BTW, shouldn't this be in Co-ed?
In Alerts. What's the hobby coming to if valet's mislay keys...

I mean, could we hobby if provider drivers lost their keys? If providers mislayed room keys?

Also, absolut should have published the hotel's name and phone number and also alerted Gina at p411, to insure no one else has to go through such a grueling experience..
man + fanny pack = tranny
  • RG42
  • 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
That took some balls! Originally Posted by boardman
+1

absolut, way to stand your ground!