Garland’s Special Counsel Gambit Confirms Hunter Investigation Was Always Shady

In a Friday news dump, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced he’s appointed U.S. attorney for the District of Delaware, David Weiss, as special counsel in the probe of Hunter Biden. “I have concluded,” Garland claimed, “that it is in the public interest to appoint him as special counsel.”

Which makes zero sense.

Wasn’t Weiss already responsible for the “ongoing investigation” of President Joe Biden’s son “as well as for any other matters that arose or may arise from that investigation?” For years now, Garland claimed that Weiss had ultimate authority to investigate charges against Hunter or any other criminality related to the Biden family business. Yet he didn’t do anything.

Politico, for example, explains that a special counsel appointment is bad news for Hunter because a “request for a change of venue would not have been possible without Garland’s special counsel designation, which now gives Weiss the latitude to file charges outside of Delaware.” But in a June press conference, Garland reiterated that Weiss could prosecute Hunter in “any way he wanted to” and anywhere he wanted to. Weiss himself claimed that he had “never been denied the authority to bring charges in any jurisdiction.”

Again, why would Weiss be bestowed with special powers he already possesses?

Was the naming of special counsel hastened by the revelation that when Biden Inc. received big payouts from foreigners, Vice President Joe was — by complete happenstance, no doubt — also having dinners with the beneficiaries? Or was it the revelation that Joe allegedly got on the phone at least 20 times to chit-chat about the weather and whatnot with foreign entities that are putting millions of dollars in the bank accounts of his extended family?

No, it was allegedly due to the Hunter plea deal falling apart. And yet, the DOJ hasn’t even bothered indicting the younger Biden on those charges. What Weiss’s new designation might allow him to do, however, is avoid fully testifying in front of the House Judiciary Committee next month about an open investigation and his own role in it.

We’ll see. Whatever the case, if the new inquiry into the Bidens were either impartial or serious, Weiss would not be the special counsel.

First off, as Andrew McCarthy and others have pointed out, legally, a special counsel should not only be a person with a “reputation for integrity and impartial decisionmaking” but a person who isn’t working for the administration. As the relevant part of the special counsel law explicitly says: “The Special Counsel shall be selected from outside the United States Government.”

Then again, whether Weiss’s appointment is legal or not, the entire idea of a special counsel – and I’m no fan, in general — is to conduct an independent investigation when cases are hampered by conflicts of interest. Garland’s move only engenders more distrust.

Weiss has already slow-walked the investigation to ensure the statute of limitations had lapsed on Hunter’s most egregious tax and FARA charges.

Weiss signed off on an unprecedented plea deal that would have granted Hunter immunity for charges related to guns, taxes, and who knows what else, ensuring that the president also avoided scrutiny. The wide-ranging arrangement was so ridiculous that Judge Maryellen Noreika nixed it.

Weiss’s public contentions regarding his role, in that case, have been contradicted by credible IRS whistleblowers. They testified under oath that the prosecutor told them he asked to be appointed special counsel at least twice and that he sought to bring federal charges against Hunter in California and DC but was turned consistently turned down by Biden’s DOJ.

Each of these incidents should disqualify Weiss from being named special counsel. And yet here we are. Not exactly surprising, I guess, considering the DOJ’s mission seems to be protecting the Bidens.
Weiss has had 5 years on the case... and all he has is some tax evasion and gun charges? Lol. He either received his law degree from a McDonald's Happy Meal or this is just another giant Nothing Burger 🍔

Hunter has since paid all his back taxes, by the way. And I thought Republicans loved gun-toting types?? Hmm...
Jonathon Turley - .The Weiss appointment definitively established Garland as a failure as attorney general

Garland has been repeatedly given opportunities to address the record low trust of public. He has repeatedly failed to take obvious steps to do so like appointing a Special Counsel from outside the DOJ without the controversies surrounding Weiss
Weiss was appointed by trump himself specifically to investigate Hunter Biden. 5 years ago. Lol. Any "failure" you want to assign to Weiss can start there.
Weiss has had 5 years on the case... and all he has is some tax evasion and gun charges? Lol. He either received his law degree from a McDonald's Happy Meal or this is just another giant Nothing Burger ��

Hunter has since paid all his back taxes, by the way. And I thought Republicans loved gun-toting types?? Hmm... Originally Posted by tommy156
Weiss was appointed by trump himself specifically to investigate Hunter Biden. 5 years ago. Originally Posted by tommy156
Your posts - most of which are utterly false, shows you clearly don't understand the story or issue
Please explain to me what I have wrong. Because it's 100% true that Weiss was appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to start an investigation into Hunter Biden. It's also true Hunter has paid his back taxes and that there is still a misdemeanor gun charge. Which part am I missing?
Please explain to me what I have wrong. Because it's 100% true that Weiss was appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to start an investigation into Hunter Biden. It's also true Hunter has paid his back taxes and that there is still a misdemeanor gun charge. Which part am I missing? Originally Posted by tommy156
Sounds like you understand the situation completely. It just doesn't fit the extremism of the radical far-right.
Please explain to me what I have wrong. Because it's 100% true that Weiss was appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to start an investigation into Hunter Biden. It's also true Hunter has paid his back taxes and that there is still a misdemeanor gun charge. Which part am I missing? Originally Posted by tommy156

the part where Hunter Biden was "given" 1.2 million by a wealthy hollywood lawyer and long time Democratic player to pay off the tax debt.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/hunter...whistleblower/

WASHINGTON — IRS whistleblower Gary Shapley scoffed Wednesday at the notion that President Biden’s son Hunter paid off his overdue tax bills totalling $580,000 in 2017 and $620,000 in 2018 — saying Hollywood attorney Kevin Morris actually did it for him.

“To say he paid is a misnomer, right? Because it was an individual [Kevin] Morris that he met at a campaign finance event. And then he immediately starts giving Hunter Biden money to pay off tax debts, to pay living expenses,” Shapley said in an interview with Fox News anchor Bret Baier.

“The money that was given to Hunter Biden by Morris was — showed up on his tax returns as a loan to him. So when you have a person that you meet at a campaign finance event, then he’s all of a sudden given you millions of dollars, and now it’s a loan to you — I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily say that the the subject paid those taxes.”

of course there's nothing illegal about this .. upfront that is ..

can't really fault Hunter here even with all that China and Ukraine loot totaling 50 million and counting why pay your taxes when someone else will?
Pretty much everything

1. Weiss was NOT "appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to start an investigation into Hunter Biden".

Specifically, Weiss was the acting US Attorney for Delaware. Trump nominated him to be the permanent US Attorney for Delaware on the recommendation of the two Democrat Delaware Senators who had to give their approval by the Senate Blue Slip process

Additionally Weiss was NOT appointed to start an investigation into Hunter Biden. He was appointed to the office overall

2. Hunter never paid his back taxes. His sugar daddy did to illegally buy influence with Senile Biden

3. Hunter Biden's Gun charge is a FELONY - not a misdemeanor

So you were wrong on everything you posted - as usual

So you were wrong on everything you posted - as usual Originally Posted by berryberry
You have been posting constantly about Hunter and Joe Biden. I don't see anything you post coming true. It's all filled with lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories. How many smoking guns have turned out to be absolutely nothing but a small puff of smoke and then always blaming it on the corrupt fbi or department of justice when the bullshit and lies comes to nothing. So as usual, you are wrong on everything you post.
Ok, so the gun charge is a felony. Big whoop. Republicans love felony gun charges as much as they love Chik Fil-A and Jason Aldean.

That's literally all they have. The tax charges were all misdemeanors and his taxes have been paid back.

Weiss was appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to investigate Hunter Biden, and this is all he has. Lol! Talk about a waste of time and taxpayer money. Truly, truly pathetic. And just one more in a long line of Nothing Burgers 🍔 🍔 🍔

By the way, Hunter isn't running for public office, so this means about as much as if Democrats were to go after don Jr. One honestly has to wonder what the endgame is here.
You have been posting constantly about Hunter and Joe Biden. I don't see anything you post coming true. It's all filled with lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories. How many smoking guns have turned out to be absolutely nothing but a small puff of smoke and then always blaming it on the corrupt fbi or department of justice when the bullshit and lies comes to nothing. So as usual, you are wrong on everything you post. Originally Posted by rmg_35
You clearly have not been paying attention
Ok, so the gun charge is a felony. Big whoop. Republicans love felony gun charges as much as they love Chik Fil-A and Jason Aldean.

That's literally all they have. The tax charges were all misdemeanors and his taxes have been paid back.

Weiss was appointed by trump himself 5 years ago to investigate Hunter Biden, and this is all he has. Lol! Talk about a waste of time and taxpayer money. Truly, truly pathetic. And just one more in a long line of Nothing Burgers 🍔 🍔 🍔

By the way, Hunter isn't running for public office, so this means about as much as if Democrats were to go after don Jr. One honestly has to wonder what the endgame is here. Originally Posted by tommy156
You were 100% WRONG on everything you posted. 100% CONFIRMED WRONG
LOL!!! No indictments = Nothing 🍔

You haven't been right about any of this yet. Oh well. Keep up the good work 🤣 Like Weiss, for the last 5 years, ever since he was appointed by trump specifically to investigate Hunter Biden - CONFIRMED
You clearly have not been paying attention Originally Posted by berryberry
No at all. You only post radical far-right extremist propaganda that holds very little to zero proof. Nothing ever comes to fruition. Keep trying, odds are that your will eventually get something right.