Restaurant takeout server
Shuttle driver at your hotel
Hotel maid
Porters
Bartenders
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Jitney Driver
Barber/Hairdresser
Your local hooker
Solid article with a lot of good information.

Cash tips are my usual though sometimes on a bigger check when I am going over the usual percentage I will tip on a card and write something on the receipt that lets them know they did a great job. I think verbal affirmations and when possible a quick mention to the manager or to the host station help people feel appreciated.

I am more old school if someone is just ringing me up or bagging some premade items for me I may drop a dollar in the tip jar or not. Anytime someone is driving and using their own vehicle I tip more. The more extras I ask for the better tip.

My 2 cents to add is that if you are not tipping or can only leave a small amount don't give an excuse or try and soften the blow. If you say yes to dessert then tell them times are tough or you will 'get them next time' it is a slap in the face. If I am going to short tip or stiff on purpose I make sure and let their manager know. Not something I have done often but it helps them weed out the riff raff.
Kinda a Karen move, telling the boss.
I start at 20% and unless the service sucks, usually tip 20-25%. More if the service is excellent. And cash, whenever possible.
Karen? How so?

On the other side of this topic is the fact that the legal wage for tipped employees in America is still $2.13 per hour and has been at that same level since Silence of the Lambs was a new release movie.

Some companies work to make sure their service staff gets paid well but we need to update the system asap. I have not worked for that wage but have been in jobs where tips are what makes the job worth it so the more someone busts their ass the easier I find it to tip accordingly
Kinda a Karen move, telling the boss. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
There's a difference between providing constructive feedback about your experience and being a Karen.

For managers who value employee experience, it's critical feesback because most folks just walk and never come back. How that feedback is given and recieved gives management a chance to learn as well as influence whether the customer comes back.

That said, what are your tipping practices? Stories? I'm sure a worldly man of some age such as yourself has more to share.
I over tip everyone, it’s a genetic thing. Grocery store cashiers, Dunkin’ Donuts coffee girls, flight attendants, you name it. Once a month I even leave the G-men a case of beer. I could throw away a Volkswagen if I wanted to, no questions asked, and always get great service in the places we frequent because they know it’s coming.

Who I don’t tip at all is someone with an already high rate, like a lawyer or provider. Contractors, like an AC guy depends. If the own the business then I don’t, if they’re just an employee then I’ll throw them a $20 or so.

As far as in an unfamiliar restaurant, I’ll do 15% if it’s REAL bad service. I’m not going to stiff anyone, everyone has bad days. Maybe their dog died, kid is sick, who knows, but I’m not gonna be that guy. Definitely I wouldn’t go to management, they could be the reason the server is in a pissy mood to begin with. Plenty of asshole bosses out there.
Nothing wrong with tipping a professional service tech. Mechanics, HVAC, etc may charge $100+/hr but the person sweating their nuts off in the middle of summer when your A/C farts itself to sleep isn't getting nearly that much and ultimately that is who you are depending on.

People tip for different reasons. Some feel it is a duty and I cringe a bit inside seeing them tally the calculator so their 15/18/20 percent is given to the exact penny. But it is personal choice if someone wants to feel like a big baller and make it rain all good. Tipping for shitty service is something else altogether and I think often just results in bad service for others down the road.

Three examples for me personally.

Needed a plumber after some harsh storms my go-to was swamped so went with the recommend of a friend and ended up with the owner, an apprentice, and new hire at my main house for an entire morning they addressed all the issues, did some upgrades, and billed fairly. I made sure to ask if my tip would go to all 3 and got a very warm response.

Joined some friends for dinner out was a busy Friday when the food arrived our wait person got stuck at another table and didn't get to return for the 'how is everything' visit but the manager making rounds got there about 10 minutes later. Many of the entree items were overcooked nearly to the point of being inedible while some sides were luke-warm etc. Mgr arranged for remakes, discounted the check, and sent some simple dessert cups of fruit with housemade whip cream after the meal as a gesture. I made sure to express how great our service was and that we understood it was a kitchen issue. The tip included the amount our check was discounted as a thank you and we let the server know on our way out how much we appreciated her effort.

Met a friend for lunch just a pub style spot good burger, fries, and a beer joint. Weekday late lunch not busy and we have been there enough to know the general service and food so this was well below the norm there. Server seats us takes drink order does not return for 15+ minutes. We can see her going to wipe another table down and collect the check payment nearby and hanging around the hostess area. Another server passes by asks if we have been helped and promises to get our server to bring the drinks. A few minutes later she comes with drinks asks if we are ready and we order an appetizer. No hurry we are talking football and politics now we have a beer life is good. Ten minutes later no food but she promises its coming asks if we are ready to order. Yes yes yes. Soon after she brings two orders but only one is a burger. It happens so we send one plate back and ask about the appetizer. Oh sorry she says be right back. It was loaded cheese fries which show up with my burger and they are hammered shit by that point. Been sitting under a heat lamp are more like stale hash browns the shade of shoe leather brown that potatoes should not be. Does not return. We finish the burgers and are ready to get going no check though again our server is out and about just not doing much work. We get her attention and let her know the cheese fries are still on the table not fit to eat. She says sorry and heads to the kitchen then brings the check with all our items listed. Says they are making fresh cheese fries to go. We ask her to take them off the ticket and she heads back into the kitchen. After a few minutes ask a different server for the manager who upon hearing our experience offers to comp the entire check. Thank you but no just take the appetizer off. No problem we pay the check and I express we are not leaving a tip because the service was shit.

I believe whether its a quick lunch or engine overhaul we should want service companies and providers to be accountable. When I see reviews on here where guys talk about 'but I gave her a good tip anyway' I sometimes PM that person and ask them to rethink their efforts. Others may choose to speak on it publicly we each have our own way. I'm just trying to be useful in a room and move with some purpose.
I tip waiters at restaurants 20-30% depending on service and bill amount.
I’ve never tipped a cashier or contractor.
I usually tip Uber 15%. Not at all if the service sucked. Last no tip the guy insisted on tailgating and braking the entire trip.
Take out I’ll usually tip just a few bucks.
Maid I’ll usually do $10
Haircut my bill is $23, I leave $30
Some very interesting takes