Steam Gift Cards

Oddly enough I have encountered several women on Words With Friends that pretty much spontaneously start a conversation, then move to Whatsapp where they send me nudes and talk dirty. Then they ask me to buy them a steam gift card. I am an old dude that lives in my own world and I have no idea what a steam gift card is, not that I am going to buy them anyway. Can someone enlighten me?

There's another group of women that chat and chat and then after several days want me to invest in bitcoin. Strange world
1. They’re dudes trying to dupe you.
2. As far as what Steam is, are you familiar with Google?
I think Steam is a platform for video games... I don't know if they can use Steam cards to buy other things... Probably it is hard to track the transfer...

In telegram, there are also women asking for cryptocurrency. So... In conclusion... all are scams.
Had my credit cards hacked twice over the last 5 yrs. Both times the purchases were low dollar amount Steam cards. Trying to stay under the radar I guess. I do know they are used for gaming purchases but, I suspect other things may be purchased with them as well.
Steam cards are for use on the steam store. It’s basically PC gaming only although they do have their own controllers and a “console” that streams your PC game to your TV you can buy with your Steam account.