How do I clean my Computer

My computer caught a virus and now it is going slow is there something I can download for free so I can clean it up. Thanks in advance
This site has a free package that is pretty effective. Some viruses can keep any virus software from being loaded. Try the free download and hope it helps. http://www.superantispyware.com/
My computer caught a virus and now it is going slow is there something I can download for free so I can clean it up. Thanks in advance Originally Posted by Jennatexas23
FreeAVG works good, once installed you can set its schedule to download updates daily and then scan, which it will do anyway.. you just pick the times.

Its free for life and I use it on the one windows machine I have..
With many viruses these days you must reboot your computer into "safe made" and then run the new software. The little buggers will move around and hide to avoid detection in normal mode
My computer caught a virus and now it is going slow is there something I can download for free so I can clean it up. Thanks in advance Originally Posted by Jennatexas23
Hi,
Why do you think your computer has a virus? If you have a virus, installing anti-virus software may be effective, but it also may be a little late until you remove the virus.

There are other reasons for a slow computer that are not caused by a virus.
Some off the top of my head actions that you might try. And these are in no particular order.

- make sure all the programs are up-to-date
- de-frag the hard drive regularly
- remove programs that you do not use
- make sure your web-browser is up to date.
- your machine might have reached the point where it is older and can not handle the tasks it is being asked to do.

Having said that here are some free virus software that are pretty good-
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Avast
- AVG Free
- Malwarebytes

Also, Spybot Search and Destroy has a feature that will lock down the Registry, this prevents changes that are usually what a virus does. It is a little technical but someone with some skills and confidence can make it work.

Hope this is helpful.
Good luck.... stuck in this damn "Snow-nami"!!
jframe2
  • Mokoa
  • 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
The following are all good free tools for keeping the computer clean and free of malicious code as well as other nasty stuff.

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Revo Uninstaller

Avast! Antivirus

Zone Alarm Firewall
I tried one of the virus scans and it worked so good on my computer thanks
I can come fix it for you pm if interested or i can call and set appt. Im an IT pro. We can workout the fee
  • Mokoa
  • 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I tried one of the virus scans and it worked so good on my computer thanks Originally Posted by Jennatexas23
I am glad to read that you were able to resolve your issues.

All the best to you, baby!
I just use the wipe drive already on my PC. It wipes everything though so make sure you keep copies of photos, music, docs. etc.
I had a problem recently and found the website www.majorgeeks.com to be very helpful in resolving the problem. They have well written procedures to help you with malware and virus removal, and they are a good source for other information. They have a group of experienced mods that can help you and I found they were very timely in their response. Overall I think they are a good resource for computer questions and problems.
I use Linux which does not suffer from Virus's. Yes Virus's for Linux are out there but they are aimed at the servers, not workstations. And you never run programs at Root access level.. so anytime something is being installed I have to provide a ROOT password.