How is this board pronounced anyway?

I was with a provider yesterday and the topic of this board came up. She pronounced it "ek-ee". I have always pronounced it "ess-ee". Tbone....St Chris..what is the verdict? Help us to standardize.
  • Paven
  • 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
The lady is correct.
Beccie like Becky minus the B.
I like to call it Ecchi because it is a Japanese word for perverted/lewd.
  • GNG
  • 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
From The Original Becky's post in this thread.

ECCIE, pronounced 'ECK-ee', wishes to give you, the hobbyist and provider community, a freely accessible, easy-to-use platform to exchange information and share your thoughts and ideas.
The lady is correct. Originally Posted by Paven
In Texas, its pronounced icky.

The taint tease was almost correct.
Any time a vowel is followed by double consonants, it's short sound is pronounced.
Yep, ECK-ee.
  • BLM69
  • 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I was with a provider yesterday and the topic of this board came up. She pronounced it "ek-ee". I have always pronounced it "ess-ee". Tbone....St Chris..what is the verdict? Help us to standardize. Originally Posted by Cheburashka
good question, I also called it ess-ee, I like ek-ee better since i usually go home ek-ee after a visit. lol
eeeeeee see see eye eeeeee
Any time a vowel is followed by double consonants, it's short sound is pronounced. Originally Posted by Tiffani Jameson
Any time, as in an absolute?

Well, I find it rather telling that with very little effort I managed to create this sentence that blows the hell out of that statement. There are many cases where it may not be effective* to say that said pairing of consonants and vowels ALWAYS affects the pronunciation as you say.

*effective is optional depending upon your choice of pronunciation.

It is ecke
Originally Posted by Tiffani Jameson
Any time a vowel is followed by double consonants, it's short sound is pronounced.

Well, I find it rather telling that with very little effort I managed to create this sentence that blows the hell out of that statement. There are many cases where it may not be effective* to say that said pairing of consonants and vowels ALWAYS affects the pronunciation as you say.
Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist

well, they arent pronounced...
weeell
teeell
eeeeffort
heeell

tho, those aren't sufficient to prove or disprove tiffani's statement.

btw, tiffani, where did you find that pronounciation guide??

i google searched for the sentence and found this...
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2358525
.....a link in post #4
........http://www.multimedia-english.com/ph...ing_vowels.php
....and a pretty good explanation in post#9

even the norwegians use the "rule". and the japanese [in another search result]
http://www.101languages.net/norwegian/vowels.html

btw ...
wordreference.com is "Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 "
and eccie.com is "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7"

wtf???
mr tbone, we must not allow a vBulletin gap!!!
[with apologies to General "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!"
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0003295/quotes]

*effective is optional depending upon your choice of pronunciation.

Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist
You just proved my point. I think you may have it backwards.

But no, it's not an absolute. Roll, poll, toll are a few exceptions I can think of at this hour. But for the most part, you can't go wrong.
Based on some of the *&^% in coed it's sometimes ICKY.

Like sticky, and we all know what causes that, minus the ess and tee.