Unique NOLA

I'm soon to make my fourth venture to NOLA and I know it's a wonderful, diverse town with good food, music, and party options. Anybody have any special activity suggestions? I'm looking for something off the beaten path, not necessarily hobby related. Something I might not find by googling 'things to do new orleans'. I'm not afraid of slumming either. I'm going during jazz fest.
sincitysoiree.com
Sin City Soriee sinners and saints party!
If not hobby related... I say hunting, fishing. I have a good bit of land out towards Vacherie with a camp right on lake Des Allemands that I use as my private rifle range too. The fishing is very nice
sincitysoiree.com
Sin City Soriee sinners and saints party! Originally Posted by April Cox
A most delightful suggestion! Unfortunately the dates don't line up, but thank you.

If not hobby related... I say hunting, fishing. I have a good bit of land out towards Vacherie with a camp right on lake Des Allemands that I use as my private rifle range too. The fishing is very nice Originally Posted by rdtraveler
Another good idea. I would like to experience the back country bayou. Thanks.

During the jazz fest, while they do a great job of exposing smaller-name talent, big, highly commercial acts take a lot of attention as well. I'd rather go see some local, some old lady singing the blues with a few musicians behind her, an act the locals wouldn't know what to do without.

And who could make an authentic voodoo doll for me?
Well just go to one of the numerous hole-in-the-wall places on Frenchman St. in the Marigny for music. You also find a few decent street musicians in the Fr. Qtr. behind Jackson Sq.--sort of behind the Alley where the artists display their work.

Stroll up Esplanade, which I think is the prettiest street in NOLA--you're close to it too (relatively) if you're going to Jazz Fest.
Well just go to one of the numerous hole-in-the-wall places on Frenchman St. in the Marigny for music. You also find a few decent street musicians in the Fr. Qtr. behind Jackson Sq.--sort of behind the Alley where the artists display their work.

Stroll up Esplanade, which I think is the prettiest street in NOLA--you're close to it too (relatively) if you're going to Jazz Fest. Originally Posted by Old Horn Dog
Great stuff. Last time I went to jazz fest I was on the way home outside the gates and I saw the best performance of the day, just some guys getting down on the street. Thank you.
A most delightful suggestion! Unfortunately the dates don't line up, but thank you.

Another good idea. I would like to experience the back country bayou. Thanks.

During the jazz fest, while they do a great job of exposing smaller-name talent, big, highly commercial acts take a lot of attention as well. I'd rather go see some local, some old lady singing the blues with a few musicians behind her, an act the locals wouldn't know what to do without.

And who could make an authentic voodoo doll for me? Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
Plenty of folks offering bayou tours. That should be easy to google.

Local UTR musicians playing during JazzFest could be hit or miss. Older female blues singer? Hmmm. Have to think about that. Look for Little Freddie King. In his 70's. Gut-bucket rocking blues. Always dresses to kill & puts on a good show. He might play JazzFest this year. In the same genre, but more UTR is Guitar Lightnin' Lee.

Authentic voodoo doll? Don't know if that unicorn exists. But if you want to go where the true believers of voodoo/hoodoo/santeria shop, check out the F&F botanica on Broad street. The owner/proprietor is very approachable and will sell you something authentic.
Marcia Ball will be playing a gig I think Le Petit Theatre on May 1. It will be great show!
bayou tours... Little Freddie King...Guitar Lightnin' Lee.

Authentic voodoo doll? Don't know if that unicorn exists...F&F botanica Originally Posted by stavinChain
Botanica shop looks interesting, as I definitely will be out unicorn hunting. Guitar Lightnin' Lee plays at the Saturn a lot, how is that place? Thank you for several good suggestions.

Marcia Ball will be playing a gig I think Le Petit Theatre on May 1. It will be great show! Originally Posted by wildwing
Thank you.
Royel Sonesta has a cool burlesque show

http://www.sonesta.com/royalneworlea...tail&gid=23133
Royel Sonesta has a cool burlesque show

http://www.sonesta.com/royalneworlea...tail&gid=23133 Originally Posted by DallasRain
Like you, probably too high class for me. But something to consider! Thank you.
Marcia Ball will be playing a gig I think Le Petit Theatre on May 1. It will be great show! Originally Posted by wildwing
I personally know who gave her piano lessons in grammar school.
lol thanks.....high class...yea right! I am the biggest Texas redneck in the biz! lol

{I just think the burlesque shows are so erotic and would have so luved to have been able to do that in my younger years}

actually Lucky Pierre's is a cool place to catch a "unique" show....http://luckypierresnola.com/
Guitar Lightnin' Lee plays at the Saturn a lot, how is that place? Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
Good research. I love the Saturn Bar. It's been there for decades and would a great place to see GLL. Neighborhood used to be mixed blue collar, now it's semi-hipster, semi-thug. It would be fairly safe to park anywhere along St. Claude Ave. and walk to the Saturn, but I would not park more than a half-block off St Claude - too much crime.

Also on St Claude, closer to Elysian Fields, are four bars at the same intersection - Siberia, the HiHo Lounge, Allways Lounge, and the Cajun Pub. There's usually something shaking at one of those places. St Claude has yet to be overrun by tourists. Yet...