Has Canada Just Become the new dominican Republic?

Didn't follow the changes to Canads's sex laws over the holidays . . . .

Has Canada become the Costa Rica or Dominican Republic of the North?

If so, will they ever hold a super Bowl in a Canadien city that has an ECCIE forum?
Didn't follow the changes to Canada's sex laws over the holidays . . . .

Has Canada become the Costa Rica or Dominican Republic of the North?

If so, will they ever hold a super Bowl in a Canadien city that has an ECCIE forum? Originally Posted by ICU 812
Here is a full text explanation of what happened in Canada, my emphasis added:
Canada's Anti-Prostitution Laws Struck Down By Supreme Court

TORONTO (AP) — Canada's highest court struck down the country's anti-prostitution laws in their entirety Friday, including against keeping a brothel.

The 9-0 Supreme Court ruling is a victory for sex workers seeking safer working conditions because it found that the laws violated the guarantee to life, liberty and security of the person. But the ruling won't take effect immediately because it gave Parliament a one-year reprieve to respond with new legislation.

Prostitution isn't illegal in Canada, but many of the activities associated with prostitution are classified as criminal offences.

The high court struck down all three prostitution-related laws: against keeping a brothel, living on the avails of prostitution, and street soliciting
. The landmark ruling comes more than two decades after the Supreme Court last upheld the country's anti-prostitution laws.

The decision upheld an Ontario Court of Appeal ruling last year that struck down the ban on brothels on the grounds that it endangered sex workers by forcing them onto the streets.

Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, writing on behalf of the court, said Canada's social landscape has changed since 1990, when the Supreme Court upheld a ban on street solicitation.

"These appeals and the cross-appeal are not about whether prostitution should be legal or not," she wrote. "They are about whether the laws Parliament has enacted on how prostitution may be carried out pass constitutional muster. I conclude that they do not."

A Vancouver sex worker who was part of a group that brought the case applauded the court's decision.

"I'm shocked and pleased that our sex laws will not cause us harm in a year," Amy Lebovitch said in a news conference.

Katrina Pacey, a lawyer for the group of downtown Vancouver prostitutes, called it "an unbelievably important day for the sex workers but also for human rights."

"The court recognized that sex workers have the right to protect themselves and their safety," she said.

In 1990, the two women on Canada's Supreme Court dissented on the ruling upholding the ban on street solicitation. This time, all six men on the court justices sided with their three female colleagues. Why is this not surprising GM

"The harms identified by the courts below are grossly disproportionate to the deterrence of community disruption that is the object of the law," McLachlin wrote. "Parliament has the power to regulate against nuisances, but not at the cost of the health, safety and lives of prostitutes."

Sex-trade workers argued that much has changed since the high court last considered prostitution, including the horrific serial killings of prostitutes by Robert Pickton in British Columbia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4480105.html

This thread http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=941145 here on the Main Discussion page reports an extremely negative reaction to the court action, in an opinion piece on CNN. The "all sex workers are trafficked whether they know it all not" faction is loud and fanatical. And anti-sex too. Also anti-woman IMO, despite the loudest proponents of that view being women.

The thing to keep in mind is that sex work is legal in Canada and has been, just as it is legal in Germany, France, the UK and most of the civilized world. The Canadian Law just invalidated amounted to a set of legal harassment against sex workers. As I understand it the law against "brothels" could be used and had been used against land lords who rented apartment or houses to sex workers who used them for their work places. The net effect of that intimidation was to push sex work out on to the streets where it Was illegal (and Cold). A Catch 22 type situation clearly intended by the (male) drafters of the law as a backdoor ban on sex work and a means of striking blows at the hated "fallen women".

Canada is a progressive country compared to the US but it is more like the US than the other English-speaking countries and the anglophone group collectively is less progressive than most of the developed world. It's an interesting question why that might be so.

BTW, a Super Bowl in Canada is unlikely since their are no NFL or AFL teams there. MLB, NBA, ice hockey and professional soccer teams that are part of the leagues that play in the US, Yes, American-style football, No.

greymouse
Thanks for the great summary!
Some groups of ladies in Canada are very dedicate to this..it was a huge celebration..Now about football its CFL.you got to go with the rough riders of alouette
VJ
Now about football its CFL.you got to go with the rough riders of alouette VJ Originally Posted by VictoriaJolie
Got to be BC or Calgary. Different cousins have season tics for each.
No b/c Canada has a first world economy and the rates will be commensurate. Still, considering flying to the DR and staying at a resort costs a lot of coin, going to Canada is probably still cheaper. In 5 years, certain US states will have legalized prostitution. Heck, I think Rhode Island is pretty much a legal state already.
No b/c Canada has a first world economy and the rates will be commensurate. Still, considering flying to the DR and staying at a resort costs a lot of coin, going to Canada is probably still cheaper. In 5 years, certain US states will have legalized prostitution. Heck, I think Rhode Island is pretty much a legal state already. Originally Posted by Cpalmson

Really hope it expands to all of Nevada, only because NV is closer than RI to Texas. Also Vegas.
But I would not hold my breath. Like Nuclear Fusion (just 30 years away and always will be!) and popularly priced driverless cars I suspect decriminalization of sex work will not happen in my life time. But those things might happen in your life time, if you were born during the first Clinton Administration.

As with most things, the Devil, or God, whichever you prefer, is in the details. A state could just abolish its prohibition law and leave it at that. Most unlikely since Law Makers LIKE to make Laws so they would probably "legalize" sex work like some states are beginning to legalize the sale and use of Cannabis, with lots of conditions, restrictions and, of course, Taxes.

Here is a nice map from Wikipedia that tries to capture some of the if, ands & buts:

GREEN Prostitution legal and regulated
BLUE Prostitution (the exchange of sex for money) is legal, but organized activities such as brothels and pimping are illegal; prostitution is not regulated
RED Prostitution illegal

I think the Green areas could be called "Partial Decriminalization". My impression is that much of Europe tried "legalization" with registration, licensing, taxation and regulation of sex workers that made the police the state's pimps. They didn't like it much and that kind of "legalization" was abandoned and is unlikely to be tried here but it is exactly what Nevada law authorizes, on a local option basis in rural counties where sex workers are kept as virtual prisoners in brothels, presumably to prevent them from contaminating the locals. The map doesn't capture that but the world is a big place to get into one picture file.
But I would not hold my breath. Like Nuclear Fusion (just 30 years away and always will be!) and popularly priced driverless cars I suspect decriminalization of sex work will not happen in my life time. But those things might happen in your life time, if you were born during the first Clinton Administration.

As with most things, the Devil, or God, whichever you prefer, is in the details. A state could just abolish its prohibition law and leave it at that. Most unlikely since Law Makers LIKE to make Laws so they would probably "legalize" sex work like some states are beginning to legalize the sale and use of Cannabis, with lots of conditions, restrictions and, of course, Taxes.

Here is a nice map from Wikipedia that tries to capture some of the if, ands & buts:

BLUE Prostitution (the exchange of sex for money) is legal, but organized activities such as brothels and pimping are illegal; prostitution is not regulated
RED Prostitution illegal

I think the Green areas could be called "Partial Decriminalization". My impression is that much of Europe tried "legalization" with registration, licensing, taxation and regulation of sex workers that made the police the state's pimps. They didn't like it much and that kind of "legalization" was abandoned and is unlikely to be tried here but it is exactly what Nevada law authorizes, on a local option basis in rural counties where sex workers are kept as virtual prisoners in brothels, presumably to prevent them from contaminating the locals. The map doesn't capture that but the world is a big place to get into one picture file. Originally Posted by greymouse
interesting map.. I didn't know it was illegal in Russia.. seems like its shunned bigtime in Asia and the hard right countries.. but the America's and most of Europe its fine.. and ironic how the USA is so anti, our laws seem to be behind the rest of the western nations but keep in mind if something is illegal it doesn't mean it wouldn't still happen. so you could argue the war on sex is pointless and its best to legalize and regulate. the way our government works it would take a judge or individual states to legalize one by one, would be downright impossible to expect the house, senate to both pass something like that. especially considering older and more conservative voters vote more often than the younger more liberal crowd.

RED Prostitution illegal

I think the Green areas could be called "Partial Decriminalization". My impression is that much of Europe tried "legalization" with registration, licensing, taxation and regulation of sex workers that made the police the state's pimps. They didn't like it much and that kind of "legalization" was abandoned and is unlikely to be tried here but it is exactly what Nevada law authorizes, on a local option basis in rural counties where sex workers are kept as virtual prisoners in brothels, presumably to prevent them from contaminating the locals. The map doesn't capture that but the world is a big place to get into one picture file. Originally Posted by greymouse
Wow! Thanks for the visual. I always wanted to know which countries legalize and regulate the sex work industry.