Police have to identify if asked, urban legend

So, I get this a lot from providers asking if I'm a cop when I call or text them. I hope everybody knows this is an urban legend.

Police do not have to say yes if asked in a situation like this, really in any situation. Once they are identified and you ask for their badge number technically they have to give it to you but that's only when they are already identified as police...and most won't give it to you regardless with 0 recourse.

It's just common sense, if that were the case it would ruin every undercover, sting or plain clothes operation. Police CAN and WILL lie to you to make the bust and it's perfectly legal. However, the LEO check is fairly accurate and useful for a number of reasons.

Just an FYI if any girls or guys rely on asking if the other person is a cop.
I'm surprised if unless a lady is super duper new doesn't know that an LEO can lie about being an LEO when asked.
I thought so too. Apparently a lot really believe that. I explained it to one of them who then wouldn't meet because I must be a cop. It was nuts.
In any case you actually dodged a bullet by not getting to meet a girl who believes that. She'll probably learn the hard way much sooner than later.