Providers, how would you handle a clinicaly depressed hobbiest

He clearly makes it clear that when he gets down on life, depressed, he calls you up for services. He has mentioned that he sometimes contemplates murdering himself and so forth.

But, at the end of the day, he smiles and wants to just have a happy time with you. He's a really good participator and you'd forget he's a walking wind-up doll. He tells you that an hour after every session he feels even more shittier but insists it's not you, it's him.

He has the money, from foreplay to ejaculation he's a wonderful guy, but he obviously needs depression medication.

Answer me this, would you as a provider continue to see him?
Putting the shoe on the other foot, I would never consider seeing a (knowingly) depressed provider, under any circumstances.
He clearly makes it clear that when he gets down on life, depressed, he calls you up for services. He has mentioned that he sometimes contemplates murdering himself and so forth.

But, at the end of the day, he smiles and wants to just have a happy time with you. He's a really good participator and you'd forget he's a walking wind-up doll. He tells you that an hour after every session he feels even more shittier but insists it's not you, it's him.

He has the money, from foreplay to ejaculation he's a wonderful guy, but he obviously needs depression medication.

Answer me this, would you as a provider continue to see him? Originally Posted by coefficient

I am going through a similar situation. I have decided not to see the client anymore. I know that may seem pretty f*#ked up but I have suggested he seek professional help and he will not do it. I am not a behavioral health professional and can not offer counsel when the situation is so dire. he is a great guy and I really like him but murder/suicide happens all the time. I actually care about him and I hope him the best but his problems go far beyond what I can offer.
Yea...I dont think I would see him...A mood could strike him at anytime
I agree. midly depressed maybe, not suicidally depressed.
  • bbkid
  • 10-04-2010, 07:31 AM
coefficient, you okay man?
This topic upsets me....

• anita
  • 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I will see him again....get him flowers or a funny greeting card.I will tell him jokes,show him funny videos. Sometimes people just want to feel special. If that does not work, I will ask him if he wants to talk about what bothers him. I am a good listener.
coefficient, you okay man? Originally Posted by bbkid
+1

Never would have thought about this topic. Most people are mildly depressed at some point in their lives and periodically throughout their lives.

I would not see a provider knowing she was suicidal but I would offer to help her in anyway I could and keep in contact so she did not feel so alone.
Hmmm, this sounds sooo familiar. It takes a while to confirm that someone has mental issues. Yet, the minute I confirm it, I'm out.
  • Trey
  • 10-05-2010, 04:20 AM
I will see him again....get him flowers or a funny greeting card.I will tell him jokes,show him funny videos. Sometimes people just want to feel special. If that does not work, I will ask him if he wants to talk about what bothers him. I am a good listener. Originally Posted by anita
none of that will help a person who is that far deep in depression. It really takes time, and real help to get over some of the problems that cause the issue. You dont want to try to make him feel special, his depression could turn into an obsession, and you dont want that. We do go see you girls when we have a bad day, or to get a good pick me up, but I would not come to see you girls for my mental health dealings.
  • Dad
  • 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Someone needs to see a priest quick!
.... he sometimes contemplates murdering himself and so forth. .... Originally Posted by coefficient
Is it "murder" when one kills the other personality rather than the present one?

And ........ "so forth"????????

Just my unsolicited, free, nonprofessional, nonlicensed advice ...

... ladies ...... do not walk away .............. run like Hell!
I have lost a friend and a family member to suicide and I can attest that depression is a very real and very serious issue. Anyone relying on providers or the hobby as an emotional lifeline is asking for disaster. Although some providers mean well they will not be there for you when you really need them, nor would I expect them to be. They are paid companions for short periods of time, not therapists. I would hope any hobbyest who sees himself in this scenario gets help before it is too late.
What is the provider turned to the hobbyist?