Malicious Computer Worms

Well, it looks like Eccie is not the only site being attacked by new strains of malicious computer worms.

Who the hell are these people and what is their motive?

More importantly, how can we protect ourselves from these silent threats?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/stu...ry?id=11713921
  • Mokoa
  • 09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
All you can do is keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software up to date. Also Windows and your browser. Every Tuesday Microsoft releases updates for Windows as well as its other software. The vast majority of those updates deal with security issues. Also the tools I mentioned earlier should be kept at the ready in case you encounter issues in the future.

Here is post I referenced...

http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=610599&postcount=7
All you can do is keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software up to date. Also Windows and your browser. Every Tuesday Microsoft releases updates for Windows as well as its other software. The vast majority of those updates deal with security issues. Also the tools I mentioned earlier should be kept at the ready in case you encounter issues in the future.

Here is post I referenced...

http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=610599&postcount=7 Originally Posted by Mokoa

The best defense: have an OS other than Windows.
  • Mokoa
  • 09-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Yes, for now.

Actually, there is malicious code out there for every platform. Like Windows itself, the malicious code written for it simply gets most of the publicity.
I have heard from experts that the Macs do not have as many security issues as PCs, but once you have decided to go with the PC then you have to defend it.

Most of the IT experts tell me that Norton Anti-virus is not a very good system and I am looking for something better to replace Norton.

Does anyone have any solid options to recommend?

When I ran a complete scan with Norton a second time, it detected nothing at all, but when I tried another program it detected 355 threats! How can there be such a wide disparity in two program supposedly doing the same function? Someone is dropping the ball.

The fact is that I am fast losing faith in Norton and need something more secure to protect my computer because I am still not out of the woods.

Once you get one of these nasty infections on your computer system than they are truly a nightmare bitch to remove!

You must fight the invaders at the doorway or you will lose the battle from the start!
  • Mokoa
  • 09-25-2010, 10:13 PM
It is important to keep whatever anti-virus software you use up to date. Having the software but not keeping its virus definitions current is useless.

A few of the best that you may obtain at no cost are...

Avast! Antivirus

AVG Free Anti-Virus

Microsoft Security Essentials

Avast! and AVG have been repeatedly evaluated positively for years. Microsoft Security Essentials is fairly new and may not be quite the caliber as the other two but it is pretty darn good.

Stay away from Norton and McAfee.

Norton used to be very very good until they were absorbed by Symantec. It was all downhill from there.