Ladies and Gentlemen

"Ladies and Gentlemen"

That's an interesting phrase. Guess now a days it might be "Ho's 'n Bro's". But back to "Ladies and Gentlemen". The definitions of a "lady" and of a "gentleman" have continuously changed with societies. Wikipedia has an interesting article on the evolution, but leaves the current definitions a little vague, which brings us to this post.

What, in your opinion, is a "lady"?

What, in your opinion, is a "gentleman"?

Does being a lady or a gentleman have any value in today's society?

Do you consider yourself to be one or do you strive to be one?
I think the same characteristics that make a lady a lady make a gentleman a gentleman. Class, good taste, and a good sense of decorum for any particular setting transcends gender boundaries...as so many things do.
  • Mokoa
  • 04-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Very well stated, Jenns!

Have any value??

Absolutely!!
  • 04-04-2010, 07:13 AM
I remember taking - failing - an 'Are You a Gentleman' quiz an ex-GF sent me; I lack several attributes. The most vexing one argued that gentlemen drink in moderation, so flunked me, a teetotaler.
In the part of the world where I hail from, we are taught that a gentleman always keeps at least 1/2 of his weight on his elbows when engaged in mish!!! LOL..

JensLolli has it right!!!!
Manners........
Just food for thought, here's Robert E. Lee's definition of a gentleman:

The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman.

The power which the strong have over the weak, the employer over the employed, the educated over the unlettered, the experienced over the confiding, even the clever over the silly — the forbearing or inoffensive use of all this power or authority, or a total abstinence from it when the case admits it, will show the gentleman in a plain light.

The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He can not only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.

Lee's definition is the closest I've found to what I was taught, which is a gentleman is honest, polite, trustworthy, and respectful. A man whose word is his bond. A man of integrity and honor.

Good manners is just a natural side effect of the character of a gentleman. I guess what struck me the wrong way with the wikipedia article on gentleman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman) was the trivialization of a gentleman to just a person with good manners.
I agree it takes way way more thne just manners..I just think way too many people lack them
I was born and raised to be a true "southern Gentleman". I think it is not only being polite, with manners, respect, but to be a gentleman is a lifestyle. You wear it everyday of your life. It is an aura around you that others can pick up on, I learned from the master; my father; who learned from his father. I watched my father make international deals on a handshake, he was known for his manner of being. Ever day should be an exercise of decorum for both gentlemen and ladies, and one of the shocking things you will realize at the end of the day...........you feel good about yourself............