Droid vs iphone

I HATE my phone. I just recently got it and it has already started having major problems, not receiving calls, sending out same texts 4 or 5 times, battery always dying, text functions aren't working etc. This is the situation I am in. I received a gift card to buy a new iphone. I checked w/ my NEW carrier to see if I could switch to the phone with no problems. They said I am NOT eligible to upgrade, so I would have to spend another $300 out of pocket for the iphone (if I want the new 4S). OR, I could just send my crazy phone back with the 50 deductible and get the same model minus the glitches. I have always just had android phones, and want to know if you guys think it's worth spending the extra money to get it. Pro's and con's etc
If you couldn't tell I am kind of technologically challenged, so any input would be great.
  • Vyt
  • 12-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Try an iPhone at Best Buy to see if you like it better.

You don't *need* a 4S. The most you get extra from a 4S is Siri/voice control which is more a "cool feature" than a "must have". A regular 4 should be cheaper and will be fine as a primary phone (it's what I use).

I think iPhones are more reliable and easier to use than Android phones but opinions definitely vary...
I would say either the HTC Android or Samsung Android should be good. Pm later if want to get real technical.
iphone generally more used friendly. Android is more for computer geeks.
If you use or like Apple applications, the iphone is for you.

If you use or like Google applications, Android is a better choice.

If you are locked in the Windows world, you might check out the new Windows phones.

If you are a Linux user, just use the phone on your desk since you probably never leave it anyway (inside joke).
i just bought an iPhone 4S about a month ago, I love it!!!
If you dont really care about apps but want dependable reliable and secure. With the best email. Also advanced in the actual phone portion . Get a Blackberry.
Biggest difference is the way apps are written and the amount of control over the phone's hardware that is directly allowed by the apps developers. On Droid, apps can be written to address the phones hardware like WiFi chip, GPS, Bluetooth directly making it somewhat of a less stable platform. Apple maintains more control (at the expense of somewhat less functionality some would argue) over the phone's hardware and is the sole certifier and distributor of iPhone apps. If you are considering Droid, look at the Samsung Galaxy S, superfast 4G download speeds and great display.

With Blackberry, you are totally dependent on their servers for functionality and they have had some significant outages in the last few months. Also, their long term business model is not looking to good right now.
I may be the last person in the US not to have a smart phone. On the other hand, my battery lasts for more than a week without charging and the phone came free with the plan. If you really must have a battery guzzler, Best Buy have a storming deal on the old iPhone 4 just now.
IPHONE... I love tech equipment that comes with a 3 page instructions book (instead of an encyclopedia) and you have all the instruction you need. Get a reconditioned one for cheap.
I vote for the droid. I have a samsung epic and I absolutely absolutely love it. One big thing for me is the big slideout keyboard...I can't type on those touchscreen keyboards. Two big pluses for the droid are how well it interacts with the google apps (gmail, google calendar, etc) Second, you can get basically all the same apps and functionality as the iphone. Plus, I'm pretty sure the androids are much cheaper.
IPHONE is way better the Android IMO and I have used both quite a bit.

IPHONE -

Easier and more fun to use
More stable (apps don't crash, phone doesn't crash and have to be rebooted)
Way more apps and better apps
Easier to type on (auto-correct always figures out what I meant to type)
Much better battery life
Camera takes better pictures
Cooler cases and accessories for it

Android

Cheaper
Don't have to use itunes to put things on it (like music)

Really can't think of much else good to say about android.. I can barely call mine a mobile phone as I have to have it plugged in all the time because the battery is always low. If I use it for navigation I can literally see the battery drain over the course of 30 mins of use!

Android apps run all the time - they say so they can 'start faster' but I've never really had to wait for an app on the iphone to load. The apps running just runs the battery down. Iphone puts all apps to sleep so the battery lasts a few days without charge (least mine did when I had 3g)

I would say go for the iphone - you can still get 3Gs models cheap or the regular 4 model for $99 or $199 I think with plan.
Android is kind of funny. For geeks like me, if Android and iPhone were cars, iPhone would be the basic model with AC and power windows, while Android would be the luxury model with cruise control, navigation system, leather seats with ass warmers, etc. But to most non-geeks, Android can be a bit overwhelming and a miserable experience if you end up getting the wrong phone.

Android is way ahead of iPhone in the different ways you can customize it, but if you don't know enough about the difference between the two that you have to ask, just get the iPhone. You'll probably be happier with it. It's not as functional as Android is, but it has far fewer ways to bite you in the ass

And if you can get a used iPhone 4 (as opposed to the 4s) outside of contract, so much the better, because there'll most certainly be another one this year with 4g built in.
  • Mokoa
  • 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I have had my Motorola Droid 2 with Verizon for about a year and a half and it has been great.

Would love to get my hands on an Android tablet.