Memphis area guide for visiting ASPs

Where an ASP decides to stay while visiting will sometimes impact whether I will or can see her. I always ask for their general area when setting up an initial appointment. Many times the question is bounced back to me as to where I think they should stay. Rather than repeating myself I think I will just link them here.

240/Poplar
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.104...num=1&t=m&z=13

This seems to be the most popular area to stay for visiting ASPs. It offers a good central location between downtown and the more affluent areas of the city out east. It is relatively safe and has decent dining opportunities.

Nearby hotels include the Hilton, LaQuinta, Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn Select, Four Points (meh), Courtyard, Hampton, and Doubletree. I hear it is fairly easy to find deals on most these properties using the discount sites.

Downtown
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.151...num=1&t=m&z=13

This would be the location visitors stay for the tourist experience as it is close to Beale St. and sorta near Graceland (never been). As with most downtown areas, parking sucks. You will be panhandled at some point even though police presence is fairly high. If you like ribs, the famous Rendezvous is nearby (not a fan). I don’t feel as safe in this area as the others I will mention. Personally, an ASP would have had to have been on my radar for a long time for me to consider seeing her if she stays here.

Nearby hotels include the famous Peabody (with the ducks), Crown Plaza, Hampton, Mariott, and Holiday Inn Select. I have no idea if these properties are good for discounts.

I-40/Sycamore View
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.165...num=1&t=m&z=13

This area looks good on the internet, but it isn't except for Bass Pro. Most of the properties are run down and likely offer hourly rates. Dining here is mostly fast food.

The only hotel in this area that I personally would stay at is the Drury. The Clarion has been recently renovated I think, but still looks like shit from the outside.

Germantown
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.087...num=1&t=m&z=13

This area is known for being one of the most affluent suburbs. It has rules about store fronts and signs, traffic cameras, highly enforced speed zones, boutique shopping, boutique eating, yadda yadda, pretty safe area. It is southeast of Memphis proper and may not be convenient for some.

Hotels here are the Residence, Hampton, Hyatt Place, and a Fairfield. Being somewhat ritzier, I would assume available discounts are rare.

Wolfchase
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.195...num=1&t=m&z=13

This is one of the newest areas of the city. It is also fairly affluent. Lots of chain dining. I’d say it as safe as Germantown. It is northeast of Memphis and may not be convenient for some (although the most convenient for me ).

Hotels here are a brand new LaQuinta, pretty new Holiday Inn Select, Hampton, Hyatt Place, Fairfield, and Wingate. A recent conversation leads me to believe you will be hard pressed to find deals in this area. Bummer.

Enjoy your stay.
Thanks babe....you are so sweet!
Don't "meh" that Four Points - they give mini fridges and a GOOD coffee maker! Both wonderful things for a provider on the road :P. The rooms are big with comfy beds too. 35 candles later and you won't notice if the carpet is faded or not

I'm gonna meh that Holiday Inn though. Never. Again.
I have yet to go to Four Points when there wasn't major (loud) renovation going on. Their banging messed with my banging. So if the construction is over I can see it being OK.
Don't "meh" that Four Points - they give mini fridges and a GOOD coffee maker! Both wonderful things for a provider on the road :P. The rooms are big with comfy beds too. 35 candles later and you won't notice if the carpet is faded or not

I'm gonna meh that Holiday Inn though. Never. Again. Originally Posted by Missy Mariposa
Ditto on the 4 Points and double ditto on the HI - I'd rather be on Sycamore View than that damn HI. ICK.Oh my gawd...
Guess individual experience and star alignment color everyone's opinion. Been to the 240 HI three times and never noticed anything amiss. Course I was only there 60-90min at a time and didn't have to deal with service. My attention once in the room was fully focused on something other than the state of the room.

Anyway, forgot one in the Wolfchase area that is likely to have deals. The Best Western has been through several owners (HI being one ironically) but has recently been renovated. It is one of the older properties in the area but decent. It's in an odd spot to get to. I'm told deals are available often.
Guess individual experience and star alignment color everyone's opinion. Been to the 240 HI three times and never noticed anything amiss. Course I was only there 60-90min at a time and didn't have to deal with service. My attention once in the room was fully focused on something other than the state of the room.

Anyway, forgot one in the Wolfchase area that is likely to have deals. The Best Western has been through several owners (HI being one ironically) but has recently been renovated. It is one of the older properties in the area but decent. It's in an odd spot to get to. I'm told deals are available often. Originally Posted by Satyrrical
Agreed.
Thank you for suggesting areas and hotels, this will be a big help while planning my trip for next week!
You will enjoy Memphis, Felina... eat the barbeque... where? Geez... there are a number of great places. Satyrrical and Babee are the definite experts!

I will PM you some of my suggestions too...

Smooch!

Lea
Fantastic advice Satyrrical. I stayed downtown once ( my first ever social was held there in 2001...Megan will remember ). I did love walking Beale St and riding the trolleys around town.

I love the Hyatt Place anywhere in America. Not only do I get 15% off for being an old fart, but I have stayed with them so many times that each third stay is now free. Can't beat that !
One further point on downtown. There are many professionals who work downtown and the ability to see a visiting provider there is a great benefit. Having to hop in the car and drive 20 to 25 minutes to a location out east and then have an hour appointment and the same drive back makes for a 2 hour commitment. When a provider is downtown, it is very easy to drop by for a lunch appointment or something in the afternoon and never be missed at the office. That can be, and unfortunately often is, a deal maker or breaker for downtown workers to meet visitors.
It would be great if multi-day visitors could arrange a day or two downtown as a part of their mostly out east visit.
One further point on downtown. There are many professionals who work downtown and the ability to see a visiting provider there is a great benefit. Having to hop in the car and drive 20 to 25 minutes to a location out east and then have an hour appointment and the same drive back makes for a 2 hour commitment. When a provider is downtown, it is very easy to drop by for a lunch appointment or something in the afternoon and never be missed at the office. That can be, and unfortunately often is, a deal maker or breaker for downtown workers to meet visitors.
It would be great if multi-day visitors could arrange a day or two downtown as a part of their mostly out east visit. Originally Posted by memdal
That's good to know! I considered staying downtown on my next visit just for the hell of it... Change of scenery....
Fantastic advice Satyrrical. I stayed downtown once ( my first ever social was held there in 2001...Megan will remember ). I did love walking Beale St and riding the trolleys around town.

I love the Hyatt Place anywhere in America. Not only do I get 15% off for being an old fart, but I have stayed with them so many times that each third stay is now free. Can't beat that ! Originally Posted by Abe Normal
Yes I remember! That was a fun night

I love the Hyatt Place anywhere in America. Not only do I get 15% off for being an old fart, but I have stayed with them so many times that each third stay is now free. Can't beat that ! Originally Posted by Abe Normal
lol--silly boy!

{I was so excited when my SO turned 50 last year....now I get his aarp discounts on hotels! lol}
[quote=DallasRain;2388092]lol--silly boy!

{I was so excited when my SO turned 50 last year....now I get his aarp discounts on hotels! lol}[/quot

I think it should be AAARP......another aging ass reaches puberty.