who'd of thunk it?

after a quick stop at the fast food joint i stuck my credit card under my blackberry holster in the center console of my car. thought being it was snug and would keep the card from falling out. as it turns out the blackberry holster has a magnet in it so that the phone goes to sleep while in the holster and you don't wind up butt dialing someone. it appears as thought the magnet is strong enough to wipe the magnetic strip from credit cards too. obviously, i can't prove that was the cause for not being able to swipe my card anymore but now i have to wait for a merchant to type in my number rather than swiping at the counter.
Vibration in small electronic devices is often result of electric motor spinning off center weight on axle. This motor can generate enough magnetism to wipe a magnetic strip on a credit card, hotel room key, etc.
I did a very similar thing...

When I first got the case with the magnet I put it on top of my wallet beside the bed. When I got up the next day... pow, no CCs, no ATM, and my favorite, two gift cards were corrupted. Got them all squared away fairly fast but it was damn inconvenient for a week or so.

-oshins
WOW I didnt know that but thanks for the great information I will make sure I NEVER DO THAT!!