How times have changed....

My curfew was street lights, if I was late i got my ass kicked.
My mom didn't call my cell she yelled my name, if I didn't answer, I got my ass kicked
I played outside, not online; hot or cold didn't matter
If I didn't eat what my mom cooked, then I didn't eat.
Sanitizer didn't exist but I did get my mouth washed with soap.
I rode a bike without a helmet.
I rode my little Honda 50 at least 100,000 miles, all with out a helmet
Getting dirty was okay
Neighbors gave a darn as much as your parents did
If I fucked up in the neighborhood, I got my ass kicked from the neighbor...AND got it kicked again when I got home
If I fucked up at school, I took the licks in the principals office rather than take detention
I drank water from a garden hose & still survived
My first car didn't even HAVE seatbelts
If I got too hot, I rolled the windows down
I hate to admit how much of this applies to me as well.
Yah, in my neighborhood growing up any house with kids was every kid's house. We ran around from sunrise to sunset, most of us covered in scabs from falls and accidents or broken arms from breakdancing at the block party. Juice and Popsicles came from ever house when we were hot and tired. I would sit on the curb when I was up early and wait for my older neighbor to come out from across the street so she could hold my hand and help me cross. You got in trouble? Your mama found out immediately and everyone knew when you were grounded and would send you home if you appeared at the door.

It sucks that my daughters don't have that.
  • Mokoa
  • 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I can certainly relate.
+1
when "cut and paste" meant walking into a GOLDCIRCLE store , peeling off pricetags, re sticking them , and walking out with the coolest skateboard for $1.25...
yep, i remember those
WOW things have changed now you get to kick ass......and the asses of naughty boys and girls.....
My curfew was street lights, if I was late i got my ass kicked.
My mom didn't call my cell she yelled my name, if I didn't answer, I got my ass kicked
I played outside, not online; hot or cold didn't matter
If I didn't eat what my mom cooked, then I didn't eat.
Sanitizer didn't exist but I did get my mouth washed with soap.
I rode a bike without a helmet.
I rode my little Honda 50 at least 100,000 miles, all with out a helmet
Getting dirty was okay
Neighbors gave a darn as much as your parents did
If I fucked up in the neighborhood, I got my ass kicked from the neighbor...AND got it kicked again when I got home
If I fucked up at school, I took the licks in the principals office rather than take detention
I drank water from a garden hose & still survived
My first car didn't even HAVE seatbelts
If I got too hot, I rolled the windows down Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
  • PT4ME
  • 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I could + at LEAST 20 to this list also. I have always been the youngest old guy" in my neighborhood, and I think the yound parents re tired of hearing me tell them that THEY are the problem, not their kids. Like Chica, I had a Schwinn, moved up to a Rupp, then a Honda Mini, etc etc. Riding privileges were based upon your ability to follow the set "rules" of the house. Video games were reserved til after it was too dark to play outside.
I know times are a changin' but I have to laugh when I hear parents huffing in frustration cuz' their 8 year old wants the new "i" whatever and the just bought them the LAST new "i" whatever.....
I just recently became a grandfather and I listen to my son tell me how he has to buy this and that toy for his daughter (2) and oh "btw dadt, can you lend me $1000 so I can get some new tires for my car?"
<-------- let me climb off this soapbox, (sorry CC for the slight hijack, but this is really a raw nerve of mine)

Have a great day everyone......... now back to your original programming.....

Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ca, it's time to get your ass in here!!!

-PT-
Riding privileges were based upon your ability to follow the set "rules" of the house. Video games were reserved til after it was too dark to play outside.
-PT- Originally Posted by PT4ME
Small town. One walked or rode a bike to get anywhere - parents were not chauffeurs. Video games??? We didn't even have a TV until I was almost 10!!! We were entertained by sticks and empty cardboard boxes.
Small town. One walked or rode a bike to get anywhere - parents were not chauffeurs. Video games??? We didn't even have a TV until I was almost 10!!! We were entertained by sticks and empty cardboard boxes. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Hahaha! And dirt was still rocks back then!!
  • PT4ME
  • 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Small town. One walked or rode a bike to get anywhere - parents were not chauffeurs. Video games??? We didn't even have a TV until I was almost 10!!! We were entertained by sticks and empty cardboard boxes. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
LOL, well mine wasn't exactly a "small town", (NYC), but our parents were not chauffeurs either. You walked, rode a bike, bus, or a train.

Well, the first video game IIIIIIIIIII bought was a "Pong", lol, and it was with money I earned from a newspaper route. We had a TV, I think is was @ 19" B/W. Hell, you could always find a TV in NYC, either "hot" or in a pawn shop. (sad but true), getting to play a video game all night was "unheard" of. And the 9:00-10:00pm Sunday time slot??? OUT THE FUCKIN' QUESTION...... you'd were either a fan of Pa, Hoss, Lil Joe, or Adam, or you read a book and went to bed..... which is why SOME of us "speak so well"

Ok.... PUHLEEZE, if you see me heading this way again RUN ME OFF.... fun topic to moan about though...

-PT-
Getting spanked with a belt, or making that long, slow walk to get a switch for mom to use on me was a fairly common occurrence for many. Now, if a parent spanks a kid with a belt you're in danger of being accused of child abuse. Yuppies in the '80's started coddling and over protecting kids, giving time outs to some kids who really needed a little ass whipping. Sorry, a time out to some kids is like saying you really did nothing wrong. The pussification of parents began and it's gotten so bad kids who don't respond to passive aggressiveness get therapy?

When and who invented ADHD? It wasn't around in the '60's and '70's. We called it hyperactivity and didn't need drugs to cure or suppress it. We got things to do, like going outside and interacting with neighbors, reading, etc. I do not believe in ADHD and the drugging of children. It's an easy out for parents to shun responsibility and great for the psychiatric profession and pharmaceutical companies. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but the number of kids diagnosed with it and on drugs is out of proportion.
There were no such things as cell phones, Tivo, or a TV that was not a console. Hell, we still had the rotary phone and party lines.

My first gaming system was an Atari-I was 19.

Evil Knievel was the most popular toy.

Gas was 79 cents a gallon.

I stayed at the pool for so long I got sun poison and nobody could tell what color I actually was.

Oh, and by the way, I still make them get the switch. They can call CPS if they want to.