The Year the Cowboys Made the Playoffs (we hope)

As a Cowboys season ticket holder since the Texas Stadium days, I've suffered through years of frustration at their on-field performance, and said more than my fair share of cuss words about Jerry Jones.

But this year we may actually have a chance to go aways into the playoffs. Here's what's got to happen:

The Cowboys clinch NFC East with:

— Win and Philadelphia loss or tie, OR

— Tie and Philadelphia loss

The Cowboys clinch a playoff spot with:

— Win and Green Bay loss or tie and Detroit loss or tie as long as both don't tie.

Wish us luck...
The BEST part of all those possibilities is the fact Dallas by virtue of taking care of business in Philadelphia last Sunday evening controls it's own destiny henceforth.

It matters not what the Eagles do going forward....all the Cowboys have to do is win (at home vs Indy and again the following week at Washington) and they win the NFC East outright; no backing into the playoffs.....and in the process of garnering two more W's they might even earn a first round BYE depending on what other teams do these next 2 weeks.

And.... the best part out of all of that is they're not dependent on other teams to get them into the playoffs....they're dealing from strength; they get to dictate how things unfold going forward.

And Philly does not. The Eagles can win at Wash and at NYG, end up with an 11-5 record....and be sitting home for the playoffs. The very suggestion that's a possibility is killing Iggles fans right now (tune in via the internet to The Fan Sports Talk radio station in Philly....they're pretty upset right now the team is in this pickle.)
The very suggestion that's a possibility is killing Iggles fans right now (tune in via the internet to The Fan Sports Talk radio station in Philly....they're pretty upset right now the team is in this pickle.) Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
can't really blame them, knowing a team from the NFC South, or whatever the name is today, will win their division with a losing record..
As a Cowboys season ticket holder since the Texas Stadium days, I've suffered through years of frustration at their on-field performance, and said more than my fair share of cuss words about Jerry Jones.

But this year we may actually have a chance to go aways into the playoffs. Here's what's got to happen:

The Cowboys clinch NFC East with:

— Win and Philadelphia loss or tie, OR

— Tie and Philadelphia loss

Not likely with Philly facing Washington then the Giants

The Cowboys clinch a playoff spot with:

— Win and Green Bay loss or tie and Detroit loss or tie as long as both don't tie.

Also not likely with Green Bay playing Tampa Bay and Detroit playing Chicago.

Green Bay and Detroit play each other next week at Green Bay, and if Detroit beats Green Bay (also not likely in Green Bay) and the Cowboys lose to Indy, they will get the #6 seed ahead of Green Bay, no head to head meeting and the conference records will be the same so the next tie break will be due to record against common opponents since Dallas beat while Green Bay lost to Seattle and New Orleans, then the Cowboys will play the Eagles in a rubber match in the first round. If Green Bay beats Detroit (likely), Green Bay win the NFC North and Detroit gets the #6 seed due to conference record and Dallas is out. If Dallas wins out, the NFC East is theirs, regardless of what Philadelphia does, but if they lose one, it can only be against Indy or they will be out of the playoffs unless Philly loses one, once again, not likely, then they win the NFC East regardless of who Dallas loses to as long as they go 1-1 in the final 2 games.

Wish us luck... Originally Posted by Wheretonow

.....and in the process of garnering two more W's they might even earn a first round BYE depending on what other teams do these next 2 weeks....
Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
The only way that Dallas gets a 1st round bye is to win out (12-4) AND if the winner of the Packers/Lions game in week 17 lose or tie their games this weekend, so the NFC North winner would be 11-5 or 11-4-1 or 10-4-2 if they tie, which is essentially 11-5 at best, Dallas will be #2 and to go a step further, given the same scenario AND Seattle wins the West, then Dallas will be the #1 seed (very unlikely, but not totally impossible).

Unlike years past when sometimes 10-6 even 9-7 got you at into the playoffs, the reality is that the Cowboys must win the NFC East at 12-4 and get the #3 seed or they will most likely fail to make the playoffs this year, even at 11-5.

I think the match ups will be:

1. Seattle

2. Green Bay

3. Dallas

4. New Orleans

5. Arizona

6. Detroit
We're a STUD defensive end/tackle away from a Super Bowl quality defense. Our second at is decent, but most of our troubles on defense come from not being able to rattle QBs in the pocket.

We've got a stud line backing core an the rest of the guys fly around on defense like their lived depended on it. It's really great to watch. But I think once we find a good defensive end, we'll play lights out defense.
I think that stud DE will be the Cowboys 1st rd draft choice and then their second round pick should be a DT.
I think that stud DE will be the Cowboys 1st rd draft choice and then their second round pick should be a DT. Originally Posted by davidfree986
I concur.
Well Philly lost to Washington. All Dallas needs to do is beat the Colts today and their playoff chances increase.
Well Philly lost to Washington. All Dallas needs to do is beat the Colts today and their playoff chances increase. Originally Posted by kerwil62
Actually, if they beat the Colts today, they clinch the NFC East. If they lose, the cowboys clinch the NFC East with a win next week at Washington, regardless of what happens in the Philadelphia-New York game. The only way that Dallas does not make the playoffs is if they lose the next two games and Philly wins next week.

Not only that, but because of the Philadelphia loss to Washington, that means that 4 of the 6 seeds in the playoffs have been basically clinched, The NFC South will be determined if New Orleans beats Atlanta today and the NFC East, with a win today, Dallas clinches it to make the 6 playoff teams. The Detroit-Green Bay game will determine the #2 and #6 seeds while the Arizona-Seattle game will determine the #1 and #5 seeds, respectively. Dallas will clinch a first round bye if they win out AND Detroit AND Green Bay both lose today AND Green Bay wins next week vs. Detroit. Improbable, but not impossible.

I hope they win today and can rest Romo, Murray, Bryant and their walking wounded against Washington as that game will not matter.
I hope they win today and can rest Romo, Murray, Bryant and their walking wounded against Washington as that game will not matter. Originally Posted by davidfree986
That would be the smart thing to do...and against any other team they might do it. But...it's the DEADSKINS. JJ would like nothing better to beat 'em on their home turf.

You know who's gonna look like a genius if the Cowboys go all the way and actually win the whole enchilada? Thatdude. He's had that sig line since before the start of the season.
TD's gonna look a lot more like that genius you mentioned if he happened to back that sig line with a $$$$ wager prior to Cowboys-49ers (1st game).

Weren't the Cowboys a 40 to 1 fave to win the Super Bowl? If so...and if he did.....then drinks are on him should he collect.

You know who's gonna look like a genius if the Cowboys go all the way and actually win the whole enchilada? Thatdude. He's had that sig line since before the start of the season. Originally Posted by Prolongus
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
I'm taking back what I said about the defense a little after yesterday.

What pisses me off is that they are DICK RIDING Seattle after they shut down a 3rd string quarterback. Wow...
Cowboys defense is better than they get credit for.just pray we can avoid the falcons..trust me it's all about match ups and that pass game would destroy dallas!!! I would love to see our O line and running game go up against the Lions.that team has a stud d line.
I had the Cowboys at 5 & 11. They have accomplished way more than I thought they would. They would be dangerous if they had a shutdown defense. I think they might win 1 playoff game but hell, what do I know, I had them at 5 & 11. What pisses me off is that they beat Seattle but thanks to stupid 3 team tiebreakers, head to head doesn't matter and they will be #3 seed. They should be the #2 seed if they end up with the same record as Seattle barring a GB and Detroit tie.