Poison Ivy Remedy that Actually Works

I was clearing some brush the other day, and I ended up with poison ivy all over my arms. So I cleaned it off with some dish soap, and rubbed some Calamine lotion on it. The next day when I went to work one of my coworkers recommended something a little different Clorox and bananna peels.At this point it was itching like hell so i decided to try it. I made up a 50/50 mixture of Clorox and water and dabbed it on my arms then rinsed it off every 4 hours. That night I rubbed the inside of a bananna peel on it, and went to bed.I really didn't expect much from this, but the results were amazing. In two days the rash is gone, and the left arm looks completely normal. The right still itches a little bit, but other than that it looks good.I've never seen anything work this well. I know I'm not the only one doing yard work this time of year so I thought I would post this. Clorox and bananna peels.....who knew?
WOW, sounds cool I will have to remember that one!
I only wish I had this intel a month ago when I suffered 10 days with that shit!!!!!! What horrid misery!!!!!!!.......so glad to hear this worked for you, you got away easy....
Zanfel seems to be highly regarded for treatment, but hideously expensive.

Technu is highly regarded for removing the oil from your skin. The poison ivy oil that irritates your skin is very difficult to remove from the skin. Wash it off right away. It also is bad about sticking to clothing, being very difficult to wash out, and it will give you a rash even months later. Some people say that Technu will help even long after the exposure.

There are a number of generic products that are somewhat similar to zanfel or technu, but cheaper.

If you can get to it right after being exposed, alcohol is supposed to be good to remove it, but after an hour our so, the oil soaks in or something and alcohol doesn't do a lot of good.

Domeboro is supposed to be good to dry the rash up, but read and follow the directions.

I'm a little afraid of the bleach cure, but I REALLY hate to get bleach on my skin anyway. I'd be afraid it would cause new irritation.
this is something Im going to have to write down in my book to remember
Zanfel seems to be highly regarded for treatment, but hideously expensive.

Technu is highly regarded for removing the oil from your skin. The poison ivy oil that irritates your skin is very difficult to remove from the skin. Wash it off right away. It also is bad about sticking to clothing, being very difficult to wash out, and it will give you a rash even months later. Some people say that Technu will help even long after the exposure.

There are a number of generic products that are somewhat similar to zanfel or technu, but cheaper.

If you can get to it right after being exposed, alcohol is supposed to be good to remove it, but after an hour our so, the oil soaks in or something and alcohol doesn't do a lot of good.

Domeboro is supposed to be good to dry the rash up, but read and follow the directions.

I'm a little afraid of the bleach cure, but I REALLY hate to get bleach on my skin anyway. I'd be afraid it would cause new irritation. Originally Posted by GneissGuy

I was afraid to put bleach on my skin as well, but it was itching like crazy and looked like hell so I thought I would give it a shot. It was dilluted 50% with tap water, and I didn't pour it on I just dabbed it with a cotton ball, waited a minute then rinsed it off.

A poison ivy rash usually last about two weeks for me, but with the Clorox and banana peels it only lasted a couple of days.
That sounds like it should work. i figured out that it also helps to go to a YMCA pool, or any other pool you know of where the chlorine is a little strong--clears up poison ivy, poison oak, chigger and mosquito bites after a few laps in the pool. so a fifty-fifty mix of bleach should have a similar effect--perhaps put it in a spray bottle?

I agree--the drugstores charge an outrageous fortune for a small bottle of that Zanfel stuff. Almost thirty-five bucks a bottle and you only get a few applications.
Next time call your Doc up and tell them you have to go on a trip or something in a couple of days and have them prescribe a steroid. I think I got prednisone the last time and it stopped the itching and was cleared up in 2-3 days max.

Generic RX was less then $10.
Next time call your Doc up and tell them you have to go on a trip or something in a couple of days and have them prescribe a steroid. I think I got prednisone the last time and it stopped the itching and was cleared up in 2-3 days max.

Generic RX was less then $10. Originally Posted by Craps7
Be sure to follow the dosing schedule on prednisone, particularly the "weaning off" process. If you suddenly stop taking it, bad things can happen.
you have to take it for quite a while to have to take a "weaning" process. I've had it for 35 yrs and it would take me over a year to safely quit, but then, the consequences of NOT taking it would be much much worse. I do hate the long term side effects though.
you have to take it for quite a while to have to take a "weaning" process. I've had it for 35 yrs and it would take me over a year to safely quit, but then, the consequences of NOT taking it would be much much worse. I do hate the long term side effects though. Originally Posted by nuglet
Let's just say there's some disagreement on that point. Your prescription will come with some instructions for how to wean yourself off of it. Follow the instructions.

We tend to forget that cortisone/prednisone is one of the wonder drugs. Unfortunately, there are some side effects, too.
Let's just say there's some disagreement on that point. Your prescription will come with some instructions for how to wean yourself off of it. Follow the instructions.

We tend to forget that cortisone/prednisone is one of the wonder drugs. Unfortunately, there are some side effects, too. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
In some cases, like mine, quitting is not an option.
In some cases, like mine, quitting is not an option. Originally Posted by nuglet
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was saying that not everyone agrees that you have to be taking prednisone for a long time before you need to wean yourself off of it. Even if you only take it for several days, you may have a "weaning off" dosing schedule.
Leaves of three, leave it be! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Leaves of three, leave it be! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Originally Posted by Austin Liv

My Mom used to tell me that everytime I came home with poison ivy as a kid.