Big Banks and Manipulation of The Stock Market

I watch youtube television a lot, and like this very intelligent man, Richard Wolff. Especially enjoy his views on "capitalism", and how it supposedly is the most advantageous system for the majority of society...you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTAuivTqKE

Tired of how monopolies run the White House? You decide!
It's obvious that the Democrats and Republicans are owned lock, stock and barrel by the banks and Wall Street. Government is merely their toy by which they control the people. And many on here LIKE that!
It's obvious that the Democrats and Republicans are owned lock, stock and barrel by the banks and Wall Street. Government is merely their toy by which they control the people. And many on here LIKE that! Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Absolutely true. The stock market is basically Las Vegas with suits and martini lunches. It wasn't enough to just give companies a valuation and watch the stock rise and fall. They came up with derivatives, futures and any manner of other devices to make it more interesting for themselves and make more money in the process.
Absolutely true. The stock market is basically Las Vegas with suits and martini lunches. It wasn't enough to just give companies a valuation and watch the stock rise and fall. They came up with derivatives, futures and any manner of other devices to make it more interesting for themselves and make more money in the process. Originally Posted by UnderConstruction
I've never really played the stock market but I've watched it since I was in college.
In the last decade, maybe a little longer I've noticed that it is no longer a good indicator of the economy. There is too much manipulation going on. I can't give you numbers or statistics, this is more of a gut feel from years of watching it.
It seems like there are certain times when the market has hills and valleys for no particular reason. That used to not be the case. The market used to react in a predictable manner in relation to economic, political or world events. Now it doesn't. It just feels like there is an unnatural cycle in major swings that results in profit taking for certain people in the know. I know that sounds a little conspiratorial and I'm not much on conspiracies, I just don't know any other way to explain it.
I've never really played the stock market but I've watched it since I was in college.
In the last decade, maybe a little longer I've noticed that it is no longer a good indicator of the economy. There is too much manipulation going on. Originally Posted by boardman
It's gotten more like the futures market. Hedging and "pushing" is what I call it.

If a brokerage firm has a "large" client wanting to buy, they "bundle" smaller ones to sell, which drives down the price on the stocks the big guy wants, and they the firm buys for the "large" client. Same in reverse.

EF Hutton, Rascher Pierce, and Merrill Lynch got hammered for that in the 80's.

I have a modest account for "testing" and "monitoring" only on line. Gains and losses from that account won't make or break "the bank." And I can put the money into whatever I want to watch as a trend .. and not what the pundits tout on the talk shows.
It's obvious that the Democrats and Republicans are owned lock, stock and barrel by the banks and Wall Street. Government is merely their toy by which they control the people. And many on here LIKE that! Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
We speak from the same place
We speak from the same place
In the last decade, maybe a little longer I've noticed that it is no longer a good indicator of the economy. There is too much manipulation going on. I can't give you numbers or statistics, this is more of a gut feel from years of watching it.
It seems like there are certain times when the market has hills and valleys for no particular reason. That used to not be the case. The market used to react in a predictable manner in relation to economic, political or world events. Now it doesn't. It just feels like there is an unnatural cycle in major swings that results in profit taking for certain people in the know. I know that sounds a little conspiratorial and I'm not much on conspiracies, I just don't know any other way to explain it. Originally Posted by boardman
Getting close to the truth now, Boardman! Hey, you are one cool dude

Attached Images File Type: jpg 4eed-TkVf8beDtRCirmqP7vLtSrP51HsZz_D_5sNO7g=.jpg (18.0 KB, 27 views)
Finally, we see an intelligent man with a brain!