Neighborhood or Dive Bars

I saw a friend from out of town last weekend & we only had a short time to visit. So we went to this little bar on wornall to have a drink, just a neighborhood place. Anyway we started talking about , the bars we had been to over the years, including the old 3/2 clubs, the good old Oar House LOL. So in that vain a short list of dive's I've drank in, and liked. Flo's Poke-A-Dot Lounge, The Dugout, Dave's Stagecoach Inn.
your?
Mike's on Troost,

Buster's Club Roxy - was on wornall road a long time ago...
I saw a friend from out of town last weekend & we only had a short time to visit. So we went to this little bar on wornall to have a drink, just a neighborhood place. Anyway we started talking about , the bars we had been to over the years, including the old 3/2 clubs, the good old Oar House LOL. So in that vain a short list of dive's I've drank in, and liked. Flo's Poke-A-Dot Lounge, The Dugout, Dave's Stagecoach Inn.
your? Originally Posted by growler
Growler just a short time ago, there was a serious discussion around this area. Might be better to ask for PM responses?
Is Mikes on Troost still open? I liked that place. I wish the Static Bar was still open. Good times.
  • KCJoe
  • 03-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Mike's on Troost Originally Posted by lookn2u4fun69
Is that the one that turned into a lesbian bar?

I used to go to a little sh!thole up by the concourse. Really good fish on Friday night.
The Peanut on Main street!!

Allie, I don't know if Mike's is open or not. I haven't been in the neighborhood for a while.
Rumor has it Mike's is set to reopen in April under new ownership. I don't particularly remember it turning into a "lesbian" bar at any point. More the type of place where all kinds were welcome, from street thugs to debutantes and everything in between. And The Peanut is one of my favorites as well.
Ahh, the Oar house. Seems it was guaranteed Friday fight night at times. If you remember it, you probably remember Hatty's on SW Blvd. The Quaff used to fall in that category before it remodeled to satisfy the new clientele. They even had to get a blender for the first time. A customer once complained his glass had a crack. The bartender/owner told him to turn it around or start buying bottles!
  • KCJoe
  • 03-11-2010, 10:24 AM
the Quaff was a dive before they expanded and went all yuppie. I know the Bonino (sp?) brothers well. It probably wasn't Mikes, but a friend used to go to some bar on Troost, close to Rochhurst, that did go lesbo.
the Quaff was a dive before they expanded and went all yuppie. I know the Bonino (sp?) brothers well. It probably wasn't Mikes, but a friend used to go to some bar on Troost, close to Rochhurst, that did go lesbo. Originally Posted by KCJoe
Yeah, it was a dive. I enjoyed the old clientele. Most didn't have cars cause they had lost their licenses or on disability. They walked in and staggered home. Some in wheelchairs and walkers. Those fancy condos in that area, they used to be old run down apartments the Quaff crowd lived in.The Boninos are good guys. They always watched out for the old timers.
Does anyone remember the Red Front Bar downtown on Admiral Blvd? It was close to that jack ass of a club called NV. I had some fun times there with my silly girlfriends a few years back before they would drag me into that nightmare of a club called NV. That's about the only dive bar I can think of that I don't go to anymore, making it safe to post LOL
ah the Quaff, my dad died on a bar stool in there. He was one of those guys that live within walking distance...
The Peanut on Main, Ruthie's Keyhole in Mission and of course the Aggie Lounge in Manhattan, being a class guy of dicriminating taste!
Harlings at 39th and Main is a good spot, too. It's an upstairs bar that's been around for decades. Cheap drinks and some fun nights. Wednesdays they have a big ping pong night that's fun to watch and Tuesdays they have a really big jazz band thats made of young guys instead of the usual old stiffs. I recommend it as a longtime Kansas Citian.
Does anyone remember the Red Front Bar downtown on Admiral Blvd? It was close to that jack ass of a club called NV. I had some fun times there with my silly girlfriends a few years back before they would drag me into that nightmare of a club called NV. That's about the only dive bar I can think of that I don't go to anymore, making it safe to post LOL Originally Posted by BottomlessFilth
It's still open. Barely.