Anti-Depressants and Sex

What's been everyone's sexual experience while taking anti-depressants? I've read almost all of the drugs create some kind of sexual dysfunction. I just started taking Zoloft (one week-low dosage) and I had a pleasant encounter with one of our nice providers here a couple of days ago and couldn't go to completion, but was hard. The doctor says an ED drug can get past the dysfunction, but I would think only the erectile problem, not the orgasm problem.

Is this the end of my sex life?

My question for the guys- any sexual problems on these drugs and how did you get past it? The ladies- did these drugs cause your sex drive to go down?
What's been everyone's sexual experience while taking anti-depressants? I've read almost all of the drugs create some kind of sexual dysfunction. I just started taking Zoloft (one week-low dosage) and I had a pleasant encounter with one of our nice providers here a couple of days ago and couldn't go to completion, but was hard. The doctor says an ED drug can get past the dysfunction, but I would think only the erectile problem, not the orgasm problem.

My question for the guys- any sexual problems on these drugs and how did you get past it? The ladies- did these drugs cause your sex drive to go down? Originally Posted by Smoking Monkey
Took one once years ago for awhile. Killed my sex drive and then I became VERY depressed, so I stopped.
I believe it was celexa..
Yeah I had issues with anti depressants as well. I had trouble getting hard and staying hard. It took a lot more work on my partners side to get me off.
I usually took the over the counter male enhancement products to help get me hard and to the finish line. now i do not have a problem and do not need it.

I finally told the doctor to screw it, that I would be fine without it and I have been anti depressant free for about 3 yrs now. My sex life is great lol.
We are in a society that glorifies being "depressed". It's sickening.

I know there are a select few, that truly required the anti-depression pills, perhaps OP is one of them. In no way am
I dissing him, as I have no personal knowledge of his situation.

But for the majority of us....as my Dad used to say "Stop blaming ur problems on everything but urself. Drive by any hospital, there's a whole building of people who would exchange their problems, with the one you have, in a minute. Now stop being a pussy and rather than trying to hide behind something (like a pill) go make something happen."

This thread already shows a couple of guys who stop taking pills and came out just fine!!

Answer to OP, ask ur doctor or do some research on Internet about the pill you're taking. In all likelihood one side effect is limp dick.
Really should not be that hard to find out.

My question for the guys- any sexual problems on these drugs and how did you get past it? The ladies- did these drugs cause your sex drive to go down? Originally Posted by Smoking Monkey
Was on them at one time and I know what you mean - the upside that you could last forever and the downside that you couldn't get off. While my partner loved the "last forever" part, the inablility to finish sucked.

But there is good news for you. Stick with it and eventually your body will adjust and you will be able to complete again. Maybe not all the time and maybe some days it will take a little bit more work, but its not the end of your sex life.

I'm not familiar with the drug you are on, but for mine I found that the longer you wait after taking your dose, the easier it is. And during the act, bon't focus or get obsessed about it, relax, focus on pleaseing your partner and in time it will come. (pun intended)
So is the purpose for taking the anti-D pill to enchance the sexual side, by prolonging performance or to take away the Wa-Wa blues???

If it's somehow solely tie into sexual performance, boy can I think of a couple of other more intense options
We are in a society that glorifies being "depressed". It's sickening.

I know there are a select few, that truly required the anti-depression pills, perhaps OP is one of them. In no way am
I dissing him, as I have no personal knowledge of his situation.

But for the majority of us....as my Dad used to say "Stop blaming ur problems on everything but urself. Drive by any hospital, there's a whole building of people who would exchange their problems, with the one you have, in a minute. Now stop being a pussy and rather than trying to hide behind something (like a pill) go make something happen."

This thread already shows a couple of guys who stop taking pills and came out just fine!!

Answer to OP, ask ur doctor or do some research on Internet about the pill you're taking. In all likelihood one side effect is limp dick.
Really should not be that hard to find out. Originally Posted by vkmaster
I had a friend that said basically the same thing to me, until he got hit with it. Then he changed his tune. Those "pills for pussies" saved my life. During that time I would have been happy to change places with a terminal cancer patient. I would have relished death at that point.

Depressed people don't blame their problems on others, they internalize all of it. They blame themselves for their problems and everyone else's. Making a statement as you Dad use to say does nothing but more harm that good. ( no disrespect to your father - mine would probably have said the same thing) My life was a roller-coaster, speeding from highs and lows and it gets to the point where you just want off the coaster.

I agree that there are a lot of people who don't need to be on them and that our society is over-medicated as a whole. Some doctor's just write a script at the drop of a hat. If you are truly depressed don't go to a General Practitioner, get your ass to a good psychiatrist. You do need more than medication to get through it.

But good lord, until you've been there you don't understand. If your heart needs medication to keep it pumping. The brain is just another organ of the body, if it isn't producing serotonin properly why woulf you not take medication for it?

I don't know your condition and how you are faring with it.

But if you ever just want to talk to someone, send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

You could call anytime, day or night and I'd pick up the phone.
Hey BigMike....please don't think that I don't realize that there are some folks who truly not only need anti-D, but they can turn their lives around. To those like urself, where it is a solid choice, I have nothing but respect for.

But I still believe, we live in a society that likes to blame our problems on everything but ourselves. The idea of looking into the mirror for solutions just is not pushed enough. Thus go to the doctor, and get a "happy Pill"....which in so many cases may result in some sort of happiness, but no problem solving solution.

And I realize saying that out loud is not political correct...so to those that the pill is a solution, respect .

But to the weaker minded folks who just "can't deal with it" so they run and take a pill and then go to a hooker board for advice on how it will affect their pee=pee rather than being an adult and discuss it with their doctor, well I best stop there or FS is going to hit me with points, lol

Then perhaps I'm just being a total asshole and need to visit the GT lady...certainly would not be the first time
I have a cure for depression and increases sex drive.....
Then perhaps I'm just being a total asshole and need to visit the GT lady...certainly would not be the first time Originally Posted by vkmaster
Yes indeed..let's go find her..
I'm just starting out on this journey and I'm kind of flailing about looking for help where ever it's available. I have been to the doctor and will go to more doctors. Drugs are not something I want to do, but I know my life is not right the way it is now,

This may be a hooker board, but people here know about sex and I bet some of them are or have been clinically depressed plus I've made some friends here.

This all a painful learning process now.
@Smoking Monkey...I wish you nothing but the best in your journey, and hope that you find what you need to right your ship

But "looking for help where ever" is not the answer. If you want to tap this board for info and advice in the hobby world, you've come to the right place.

You want solid advice about how medication, specifically what your taking and how it will specifically effect your body...seek advice from your doctor. Ask yourself, why you feel the need to not only go to one doctor...but to others as well???

And if your life is not right, don't just lean on a pill to make it happen. Find both a medical doctor and a shrink that you trust to help you out....as well as your inter-circle of friends/families, but especially learn to lean on yourself for solutions to your problems....I wish you well!

OK, OK enough of that, on MY PART...so who's having good luck finding a nice, wet, deep throated BBJ and where are my damm doritios!!!
Just once I'd like to see a serious thread like this one NOT become some hookers advertisement.

BigMike.....you're a doll!!

SM......you know how I feel about this. I will help you out as much as I can.

VK....Correct me if I'm wrong, but all he did was ask if any other guys had suffered the same effects as he was/is/will be from an anti-depressant.
Yes you are correct...but

Oh come on, since when did you ever have a problem with injecting your honest opinion beyond just a basic yes or no question!!!

If nothing else, perhaps I've given him something to think about....or if he doesn't care, he can merely skip my postings

No harm or disrespect was intended or done

And if you want to get real technical...his question was aim strictly to the guys, lol