What to do when picked up soliciting?

A friend of mine, not of ours, got picked up last night in Tarrant County for solicitation.

HIs mom called me to ask for help. I called a couple of bondsmen but they won't touch it, to much paperwork for a $1000 bond.

Any advice on how to see him through this?

What scares me is he is a 52 year old white male, luckily he is a big guy and relatively in shape, otherwise he might get picked on by the young punks in there.

Does anyone know a bondsman or know a good attorney?
Try ShysterJon, he is in the know about legal matters, he might have advice for you.
Try ShysterJon, he is in the know about legal matters, he might have advice for you. Originally Posted by cowboyesfan
+1, I recommended ShysterJon as well.
Dang that sucks. Do you have any details with regard to safety? General area? Sting? Random event?

Hoping the best for your friend.
  • Brot
  • 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM
In Tarrant County, try Abe Factor (criminal attorney)
Also in Tarrant county and Dallas county try Bret Martin.

What scares me is he is a 52 year old white male, luckily he is a big guy and relatively in shape, otherwise he might get picked on by the young punks in there.

Does anyone know a bondsman or know a good attorney? Originally Posted by Red Tex
I don't think there's anything to be scared about he's not going to prison. As long as he's not looking for trouble and staying to himself he'll be fine. Even in county there's all shapes and sizes of people nothing happens unless they are looking for it, it's not like how the movies make it out to be.
I spoke to his brother, evidently this is his 3rd charge, over about 12 years. I know he also has a DWI with open container during that time period. Now I am afraid he will be doing some time. Judges don't like it when you continually fuck up.

I did find a bondsman that would take it, but now his family wants him to stew in jail.
1. Tell him to STFU. Don't talk to the police, the prosecutor, etc.
2. Hire a good lawyer. Either someone who is Board Certified in Criminal Law or someone who comes with a good recommendation from a reliable source as a criminal defense attorney. Your friend wouldn't try to do surgery on himself, and he shouldn't fly blind without a lawyer.
3. Listen to what the lawyer say. NO!! Not sort of listen. REALLY LISTEN.
4. Do what the lawyer says, especially about keeping his nose clean during the pendancy of the case. If the lawyer says go to AA, go, and go often. If he says join a church, join one. If he says jump off a cliff, jump off one. More people screw up their cases by not listening to and following instructions than you can possibly imagine.

5. And in the long run, he can probably relax. I doubt he's going to jail for long, if at all, for this offense. But if his family wants him to stay in jail, that's a pretty good sign that they've had their belly full of him and he probably has more problems than just chasing pussy. Perhaps the fact that his family has turned their back on him is a good warning sign that it's time to get his shit together.
Perhaps the fact that his family has turned their back on him is a good warning sign that it's time to get his shit together.
Tush, I think thats the deal. I worried about him all night. I am headed over to see his mom this morning. I keep thinking Jesus said forgive 7 times 70, but at what point does man's law deserved to be followed. He has a strong Christian family but they are at their wits end. I don't think he has the funds for an attorney and after this many charges, the judge is going to be pissed!
Can you give us Fort Worth guys and idea of how he was picked up? Maybe a general vicinity for us to avoid?
Can you give us Fort Worth guys and idea of how he was picked up? Maybe a general vicinity for us to avoid? Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
+1 (again). what happened and where so others can be careful and not fall into the same situation.
I don't think he has the funds for an attorney and after this many charges, the judge is going to be pissed! Originally Posted by Red Tex
I think you're getting your knowledge from movies. These are just misdemeanors and sounds like maybe 3 over 12 years? That's really nothing. These misdemeanors don't go to trial they get pleaded. They see a lot worst than misdemeanors on a regular basis. Also if your fiend is willing to do the time in the long run it is easier and more cost effective. If he gets bonded out and gets a plea etc. he's going to be on probation. As long as he's not on probation now then he didn't violate any probation terms so he's not going to do time for a misdemeanor, they will make him a deal just like the previous times. Probation in itself sucks and is pretty much designed to fail you, if you screw up there then yes you have to do time. You will be paying monthly fees to them, have to visit them every month, may have to take classes, I know they do for duis don't know about solicitation. Possibly drug tests, can't leave the city without permission , etc. etc.

If he can do the time it's much less shit to worry about, being on probation is like another part time job in itself and you can't screw up. Or you go and have to do time regardless.

Instead of worrying about him you should find out what he wants to do. If he can do the time it could work out better depending on him but I don't know his outside responsibilities/obligations if he has a job etc. if he's not so concerned or scared himself then let him handle it however he wants, don't act/think like you're trying to "save" him.
Also if you really want him out do you know you don't have to go through a bondsman. You can go to the jail directly to bond him out. Only reason people go through bondsman is because it's cheaper. So say the bond is $1000 a bondsmans rate maybe 10% so you only pay them $100 and they put up the rest of the money. However as they said it may not be worth it for them over $100. So you can pay the full $1000 to get him out directly. Then you get the money back if he shows up to his court date.
What happened to the girl? Or was this a sting?