LETTERMAN LEAVES....DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YA!

I liked Letterman in the early NBC years; but when he didn't inherit the Carson chair, he morphed into a caustic, depressing, mean spirited man.

The early Letterman comedy reflected his mid-western roots, but when he realized he couldn't beat Leno in the ratings game, Letterman went gonzo left - a man searching for a fan base.
His anger was no longer subversive and clever, it was bitter and mean-spirited and palpably real. He was a jerk playing to his loyal audience — urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks. The humble, self-deprecating Dave had become the nasty, arrogant Letterman, an unrecognizable bully who reveled in pulling the wings off those he saw as something less.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...-indiana-soul/
Sometimes, they need their wings pulled off.
You prove the point..........
His comedy was no longer subversive and clever, it was bitter and mean-spirited...Letterman became a jerk playing to his loyal audience — urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks....

Sometimes, they need their wings pulled off. Originally Posted by WombRaider
  • Old-T
  • 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Never enjoyed Letterman. But then I never understood why I would want to spend hours watching a parade of mostly artificial people talk about unimportant stuff in front of self important host on any late night talk show. I never understood why that format was so appealing to so many people. Too much of it was nothing but a disguised promo for "stars" I never heard of and had no interest in.
You prove the point..........
His comedy was no longer subversive and clever, it was bitter and mean-spirited...Letterman became a jerk playing to his loyal audience — urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks....
Originally Posted by Whirlaway
No, I just prove that you don't have a broad range of what funny is.
I never watch those shows.

But I think we can conclude from this insightful post that Whir-LIE-turd got ALL the BITTER and NONE of the HUMOR.

Thanks for proving the point, Whir-LIE-turd!

And... SPAMALOT!

• shanm
  • 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM
These late night shows are usually not funny. The humor is forced, the jokes are lame and the audience is annoying.
With that said, I am excited to see what Colbert does in Lettermans stead. I'm sure most republicans hate him. But ,fact is, The Colbert Report was one of the best shows on television. And SC is just an awesome dude. I might just have to start watching these shows again.
Wrong.

There isn't a comedian from my younger days I don’t still revere, including the left-wing George Carlin. Cosby, Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Dennis Miller, Pryor, the first five years of “Saturday Night Live” — still love all of it.

Early Letterman was funny; but like I said, he turned mean, caustic and boring.

When he lost the Carson seat and couldn't beat Leno in ratings. Letterman's shtick devolved to cheap mean laughs - Chris Christie’s weight; Rush Limbaugh’s personal life; everything Bill O’Reilly; Bush, Cheney, Palin, and the last straw, a statutory rape joke about Palin’s 15 year-old daughter. And let's not forget Letterman's over the top anti gun rants.

I didn't leave Letterman, he left me.

Were you even around in the early 1980s when Letterman first came to view?

Like I posted. You are part of Letterman's target audience: urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks.

No, I just prove that you don't have a broad range of what funny is. Originally Posted by WombRaider
Wrong.

There isn't a comedian from my younger days I don’t still revere, including the left-wing George Carlin. Cosby, Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Dennis Miller, Pryor, the first five years of “Saturday Night Live” — still love all of it.

When he lost the Carson seat and couldn't beat Leno in ratings. Letterman's shtick devolved to cheap mean laughs - Chris Christie’s weight; Rush Limbaugh’s personal life; everything Bill O’Reilly; Bush, Cheney, Palin, and the last straw, a statutory rape joke about Palin’s 15 year-old daughter. And let's not forget Letterman's over the top anti gun rants.

Were you even around in the early 1980s when Letterman first came to view? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Does this mean you will not be watching Stephen Colbert?
Wrong.

When he lost the Carson seat and couldn't beat Leno in ratings. Letterman's shtick devolved to cheap mean laughs - Chris Christie’s weight; Rush Limbaugh’s personal life (OH YEAH, THAT'S SACROSANCT!); everything Bill O’Reilly (That's never funny!); Bush, Cheney, Palin, and the last straw, a statutory rape joke about Palin’s 15 year-old daughter (The baby mama?). And let's not forget Letterman's over the top anti gun rants. (GOD FORBID! Anti-gun rants? At the time of mass murders in America caused by...THUGS?)

I didn't leave Letterman, he left me. (THANK FUCKING GOD! Maybe I should have watched the show!)

Like I posted. You are part of Letterman's target audience: urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Like I posted. Never watched it.

Apparently you didn't either... except to bitch and moan about him taking "cheap mean laughs" at some of the greatest Americans of the day... like Rush Limbaugh, the Palins, Cheney, et al. And I guess that's why he lost the ratings war to Leno, who NEVER made such comments ... LMAO!

But leave it to you to turn a late night TV talk show into a statement of outrage! You watch, he'll wind up on Fox as a common tater!

Rave on, Whir-LIE-turd! It's what you do best.

Yawwwwnnnn! Your bullshit gets weaker by the day. I suppose that could be labeled a TREND!

And, as I also posted:

SPAMALOT!
  • shanm
  • 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Wrong.

Early Letterman was funny; but like I said, he turned mean, caustic and boring. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
So.....in your own words....you still "revere" Cosby who is a known rapist, yet you despise Letterman because he made a rape JOKE!
Wrong.

Like I posted. You are part of Letterman's target audience: urban, cynical, elite, Blue State jerks. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Dennis Miller isn't left wing...

I'm not cynical, elite nor do I live in a blue state, but keep trying. So once he turned to making timely jokes about conservatives, you were out, huh?

and you've not told the whole story about the joke on the daughter, but what do I expect from a right winger? He thought the daughter that was on the trip was Bristol, not the younger one. And he made a joke about Alex Rodriguez knocking her up during the seventh-inning stretch. Limbaugh deserves to be made fun of. He's a hypocritical toad.
I revere the comedic talents (on stage/screen/TV), not their personal life problems ....are you too dumb to understand the distinctions?

So.....in your own words....you still "revere" Cosby who is a known rapist, yet you despise Letterman because he made a rape JOKE! Originally Posted by shanm
I revere the comedic talents (on stage/screen/TV), not their personal life problems ....are you too dumb to understand the distinctions? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
How do you separate the two? You have no problem with tearing politicians personal lives apart. Where's the line?
I revere the comedic talents (on stage/screen/TV), not their personal life problems ....are you too dumb to understand the distinctions? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Actually, you can't have it both ways, Whir-LIE-turd.

You just got caught sticking your foot in your lying mouth again. Or are you too dumb to express yourself?

Yum yum, Whir-LIE-turd! Eat up!