Trump above the law ? he seems to think so

RE:
the federal case brought by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and special counsel Jack Smith, accusing Trump of attempting to carry out a scheme to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Trump, with his legal team recently filed a motion seeking to have the case thrown out altogether, claiming he has complete immunity from the charges due to the fact he was president at the time. Judge Tanya Chutkan, who is overseeing the case, rejected the motion on Thursday, explaining that the former president does not have the "divine right of kings to evade the criminal accountability that governs his fellow citizens."

Now, Trump and his legal team have filed an appeal to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals seeking to overturn Chutkan's decision. In the filing, Trump's attorneys claimed that this appeal request has put a "mandatory and automatic" pause on all other matters involved in the case, and further made the assertion that Trump will act as if the pause has been granted, even though Chutkan has not yet ruled to grant one, "absent further order of the Court."

The assertion has been met with widespread criticism in the legal world.

"In my 30 years as a prosecutor, I never once had a defendant or a defense attorney say, 'Judge, Judge, I don't care how you might rule on this motion, I'm telling you, I've made a decision...I don't need you to rule,'" Kirschner said. "The only thing I can think of to call that is a defendant in criminal litigation trying to act as a dictator, or perhaps as a second judge who gets to override the judge who's assigned to oversee the case."
Still pushing the Noblesse Oblige angle, eh?
  • Brot
  • 12-10-2023, 07:16 AM
Trump has one complete and overriding belief. Any means to an end that serves his interests. His adept showmanship is what got him elected, bamboozled his followers and thwarted his detractors.
Less than 12 months until Mr. Trump is in the dustbin of politics.
Trump Complains Corporations Are Leaving Nation, Points to Exxon Going to … Dallas
Yes, and he’s a fucking idiot too. Man. TV…