Run For The Rose's Kentucky Derby Saturday May 5th

Well one of my favorite times of the year, next Saturday May 5th we have the Kentucky Derby. I'll be out at Lone Star hoping to find the winner. Any horse players want to make a prediction on who might win ?

I think Union Rags and Creative Cause and Alpha should all run good, but with 20 horses expected, this years Derby has a very competitive field.
1) ALPHA (Alydar bloodline)
2 & 3) GEMOLOGIST, BODEMISTER

Alpha had a rough start in the WOOD
and ONLY lost by a head to gemologist.

you heard it here first, 8-days in advance

CG
1) ALPHA (Alydar bloodline)
2 & 3) GEMOLOGIST, BODEMISTER

Alpha had a rough start in the WOOD
and ONLY lost by a head to gemologist.

you heard it here first, 8-days in advance

CG Originally Posted by Copierguy0
I would throw out GEMOLOGIST, but then again it's horse racing !!
1-Bodemister 2- Daddy knows best
Instead of mint julips they need to serve margaritas.
My 2nd favorite sports event I have ever been to.

Love me some derby.

Fell in love with Woodford Reserve at the Derby, still drink it today.

Great times.
  • Gio
  • 04-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Does anyone have reservations made at Lone Star for the Derby? My selection comes later in the week after some more workouts and know the weather for sure... If rains again, then will throw darts at the board. For now I keep an eye on Take Charge Indy.
You haven't partied 'til you've been to the Infield on derby Day....woohoo!
Haven't kept up with the horses in recent years (there will never be another Secretariat) but if someone ever offers you a ticket to the Derby (one of THE HARDEST to get) DO NOT pass it up.
You haven't partied 'til you've been to the Infield on derby Day....woohoo!
Haven't kept up with the horses in recent years (there will never be another Secretariat) but if someone ever offers you a ticket to the Derby (one of THE HARDEST to get) DO NOT pass it up. Originally Posted by Prolongus
I haven't made it to the Derby yet, but hopefully I will one day. I'm sure it's a great time, although I would probably end up with a stiff neck from all the great eye candy !!
I haven't made it to the Derby yet, but hopefully I will one day. I'm sure it's a great time, although I would probably end up with a stiff neck from all the great eye candy !! Originally Posted by cubsoxbull
The BEST place to see the coolest, fanciest, sharpest, hottest ladies with unbelievable hats...I mean there is nothing like those hats. They show them on the broadcast leading up to the Derby race. Believe ESPN has it on 3-4 hours before the actual race...they do interviews with celebrities and if you're a lady without a hat...you will feel naked.
  • Gio
  • 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Ok... So far I got a list of 6 - 7 horses and I am yet to decide on a particular order/box/key:
- daddy nose best
- bodemeister
- alpha
- take charge indy
- gemologist
-dullahan
Also to take in consideration is the speed sprinter Trinninberg as unknown factor.
If the track is running fast as forecasted... the 1/4 will be ran in .21 - .22s seconds.
Too early to tell because we don't know what the track condition will be like. I'd also like to take one final look at all the past performances in one place before making one final pick.

That being said, I think that Bodemeister may well be the best of this year's crop of three year olds. But I fear that his chances in the Derby may be compromised by his getting into an early speed duel with Triniberg (who obviously won't last the distance). If that happens, look for the race to set up well for a pace stalker like Alpha, Gemolodist or Take Charge Indy, or if the past is fast enough, even a dead closer like Dullahan.
Instead of mint julips they need to serve margaritas. Originally Posted by pyramider
why?
  • Gio
  • 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM
TexTushHog.... I agree, track condition is a must know factor for any handicaper! Also, lets see the post draw today. Good Luck.
Bodemeister going away..... Conditions permitting..... Sloppy track would change everything.....