As you know, I am a ....

Huge supporter of my #Sister Alicia Keys, and I watched an interview she did awhile back, and she posed this question to her listeners, "Why are YOU here"??....

I just wanted to know some of you peoples thoughts as to the question, and what it means to you.

I answered the question like this:
I am here to spread the light into a world of darkness, and I feel like I was put here on this earth to help others and to make people realize their full potential. I feel like that we as people have to find someone or something that moves us in today's messed up society.

When I jam to my favorite songs, it feels like a weight has been lifted and puts me in my happy place. Like I totally GET IT!! Do any of you feel this way??

I also know that not everybody rocks my girl A.K. like I do, but If you have a favorite artist, can you please share and tell others why they are your favorite and what inspires you about them. Their creativity, and their music that sends you into your happy place.

Just wanted to pose the question, "Why are YOU here"??

M.M.
I have always loved The Smiths, I am a huge fan of Morrissey. I love how he writes and sings, but I love how Johnny Marr blended with him.

I have a now grown kid ( won't say gender because I try to protect some of my personal life info on the board). Anyway, I used to play The Smith's Best Of CD in the car because it was something we could both listen to. My kid was going thru a shyness stage, "Ask" was a beautiful song I played and sang to show my child that it was normal to feel shy, but okay to be yourself and expect others to accept them.

I appreciated that a beautiful CD of songs I first fell in love with in the late '80's and early '90's was now music I could sing and share with a child. Then my child got to Jr. High school and turned me on to Death Cab for Cutie and The Killers. I love those bands and songwriters even more. Great thread! I am listing to "Everyday is like Sunday" right now.
I joke that with music, as in drinking, that I'm a "small c" catholic aficionado of music, and spirits. I don't have a go to drink in a bar, and I love so many different kinds of music, too. A "small c" catholic basically means that I listen to it all happily.

But over the years, an artist whose incredible body of work truly inspires me is Allen Toussaint. He wrote so many, many great songs in such diversity, from the early roots of Nola funk, rock'n'roll, & R&B, with an ear for jazzy horn arrangements. Toussaint' lyrics really get to me, as even when he tackles issues of social justice, his music is positive, always dapper & charming, and fun! His later work, while deeper in emotions & stunning in his piano playing, is masterful and gives us a lesson that suffering doesn't equal great art. Oh, I'm sure Toussaint was no stranger to the blues & despair, but gosh his music shines with a kindness that is, unfortunately, rarely seen & heard. As a musician, songwriter, arranger, and hitmaker Allen Toussaint is an underrated genius!

Great topic: I could go on & on about so many more musicians, but I have to tip my hat to Thelonious Monk for how he taught me to resolutely follow my creative path, and I'll always be more in love with the world because of his strangeness, daring, and intellectual wonder as a pianist & composer.
I used to love the smiths!! Im gonna go utube them now...wow those were fun days /nites/ months out partying lol . How the hell did anyone survive the 80's?? Xxoo annie
I used to love the smiths!! Im gonna go utube them now...wow those were fun days /nites/ months out partying lol . How the hell did anyone survive the 80's?? Xxoo annie Originally Posted by annie@christophers
Hanging out at the following:

The Ocean Club
Club Riviera
Kenny Vincent's Southside
The Blue Crystal

Ah yes....
I just went to the John Mayer concert and I had a blast in the Smoothie King Center. I like John Mayer

M.M.
The blue Crystal!! Remember all the vampires hissing and crouching in the dark corners...lol. Talk about freaks those weirdos...billion stories bout them in tbat place before the cops finally ran them out.. ugh.. xxoo annie
The blue Crystal!! Remember all the vampires hissing and crouching in the dark corners...lol. Talk about freaks those weirdos...billion stories bout them in tbat place before the cops finally ran them out.. ugh.. xxoo annie Originally Posted by annie@christophers
Oh yeah it was an odd but fun time in the quarter back then.

They tell me I had a lot of good times!
Nobody answered Melissa's original question. lol

I'll try to. I'm here because a really cool provider suggested I give it a try. Thanks D.

Oh yeah. Yes Annie. The 80's sucked.
I am here for the taint. Spreading the knowledge of the power of the taint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sT4B13OgJE

This was a very inspiring video. I must say if you want to gain some cultural knowledge watch this.

M.M.