Suicide & the holidays

How many of you get depressed and contemplate not wanting to go on? How many know of someone in this position?
Does it seem like the holidays makes us more susceptible to this kind of depression?

NO! I'm not thinking of it.
I lost a 'family member' this past week due to suicide. He left behind an 18 yr old son with Down Syndrome as well as three older children.
This is the first Christmas I have not spent with my kids since separating from my SO. So yeah, this time of year is very tough and did not expect it to be this rough. Just taking it day to day.
I no longer think about holidays anymore. In fact I didn't even know that it was that close to Christmas already. Hopefully it stays that way.
I know the feeling, it's been a couple of years since the divorce and it never gets easy
I no longer think about holidays anymore. In fact I didn't even know that it was that close to Christmas already. Hopefully it stays that way. Originally Posted by FirePhoenix

Wish it was that easy.
  • tzv13
  • 12-23-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Tammie. I really don't think it would have mattered what time of the year it was for them.

Suicide rates don't really go up during the holidays. All of the statistics show that November/December actually have the lowest suicide rates of the year. Here's an article that is a couple of years old, but it is relevant.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...d-the-holidays
i tried suicide once
but , apparently you cant die from eating too much pussy.
either that, or i must be an "Immortal"
I think I tried to drown you a few times knotty...
I think I tried to drown you a few times knotty... Originally Posted by TemptationTammie
glug, glug,glug
My biggest accomplishment is getting out of bed some days the last month. I will be glad when this month is over.
This may sound banal, but diet and exercise play a huge role in how we feel. We eat more bad food, drink more liquor, and get less exercise between Halloween and New Years than the rest of the year on average. My wife turns BSC in mid-December if she doesn't increase the dosage on her thyroid pills. Not suicidal fortunately, but extremely difficult to live with.
Sex is usually my destresser.
  • bm5.5
  • 12-25-2016, 09:34 PM
I do. But it's only slightly more during the holidays than regular days. Mostly from the expectation to see people and appear happy.

How many of you get depressed and contemplate not wanting to go on? How many know of someone in this position?
Does it seem like the holidays makes us more susceptible to this kind of depression?

NO! I'm not thinking of it.
I lost a 'family member' this past week due to suicide. He left behind an 18 yr old son with Down Syndrome as well as three older children. Originally Posted by TemptationTammie
The winter, time change and holidays are really bad for me. I have that depression people get in the winter. It hit around Thanksgiving and just got worse, but I am doing light therapy, got a gym membership again and my insomnia & depression are getting better already after just a few days of treatment! I'm so glad Christmas is over!! No more dysfunctional family stress or grieving over family & friends recently passed that made Christmas great. But I have so much to be thankful for. I hope everyone stays safe and can look to a better year. It's so embarrassing to share about this kind of stuff, because of the stigma. But I know I am not alone. Thanks for posting, Tammi.
Sometimes it helps to just go buy yourself that gadget that you can't justify as being necessary. Something that you want, but know it's something no one is going to gift you. In other words, buy your own present for you, your best friend, without feeling guilty for blowing the $$... the fun will wear off of course, but it's ok to spoil yourself once in awhile, just because!!!!