Charlie Strong is UT's new coach???

I thought UT football was big in Austin. A Pittsburgher had to start a thread. Maybe he can sign Teddy Bridgewater to come with him! I'm pretty suprised by the choice, but the guy is a good coach.
Sounds like it's not a done deal yet. But agreed, he is a good coach. If he can manage the booster politics, he should do well.
Mack was a class act. And it will take more than just a good football coach to survive the politics at UT.
Mack was a class act. And it will take more than just a good football coach to survive the politics at UT. Originally Posted by carpenter
Bill OBrien did it at PSU under the most difficult conditions. I'm really suprised with Srong being picked. I thought they were looking for a bigger name.
mack was ok.... most of his wins were against mediocre teams that he should have won.
strong appears to be a great coach and i believe he'll succeed at texas.... hook em
Strong's resume coming to UT was better than Mack Browns. His coaching background - Notre Dame, South Carolina, Florida (2 Nat Titles with Urban Meyer) and successful head coach with the Cardinals. Plus he is a young 52. Last but not least, good to see some diversity in the Big 12.
I am sure there are those surprised that Texas would hire an African American head coach. Yes, I said it lol Texas has always had a reputation for having a "good ole boys" mentality when it comes to their head coaches. It's been obvious that Texas needs a coach who can recruit. Strong certainly has shown he can recruit as he has several players from FL.

He will also have a leg up on recruiting the inner city kids and appeal to African American kids who may not have considered Texas before.

Looks like Texas made a smart choice.

sixx
I think Strong will turn Texas into a monster.. The administration at Texas woke up finally and realized the problems with the program ... and decided that in a bs place like Austin.. they need somebody for real to kick ass and not talk bs on the bs longhorn network (I have a feeling Strong will discourage people actually involved in the program from watching that marketing bs.. Recruiting will take off... strong will solidify the traditional core recruiting territory and also bring in 3 or 4 difference makers from Florida every year .. my prediction UT will win a championship sooner than later
Strong has no excuse to not be strong at Texas.
Nobody can criticizes him, whoever does will be labeled a racist.

This should enable Strong to strongly concentrate on winning and recruiting.

Good choice UT, but the best choice was to get rid of the old AD, he was all about $$$ and not about students and sports.

Look at Baylor, and the programs they have build in the Big12(-2=10). There yes I said it ...
Too bad Mack wasn't a good coach. Strong is also a real deal class act, not a phony like Mack. I love this hire and cant wait to see what coach Strong does.
Only thing I concerned about is recruiting (where I think Saban would have had a much bigger impact on for years after he ended his stint) and the "good ol' boy network". Strong is going to be under immense pressure to win...and win fast.
Too bad Mack wasn't a good coach. Strong is also a real deal class act, not a phony like Mack. I love this hire and cant wait to see what coach Strong does. Originally Posted by CentTex77
I think Brown was a good coach...but not a GREAT coach. Plus, a lot of his coordinators seemed to "sh*t the bed" when it was a key moment in a game. However, I definitely think Strong is an upgrade from Brown, as purely a head coach...but if Strong gets the wrong coordinators, I would only expect 8-5 (or worse) for the foreseeable future.
I am sure there are those surprised that Texas would hire an African American head coach. Yes, I said it lol Texas has always had a reputation for having a "good ole boys" mentality when it comes to their head coaches. It's been obvious that Texas needs a coach who can recruit. Strong certainly has shown he can recruit as he has several players from FL.

He will also have a leg up on recruiting the inner city kids and appeal to African American kids who may not have considered Texas before.

Looks like Texas made a smart choice.

sixx Originally Posted by sixxbach
did anyone notice how much LESS $$$$ STRONG will make compared to what MACK BROWN made
2013 MACK BROWN 5.32 MILLION
2014 CHARLIE STRONG 3.2 MILLION

INTERESTING!!!!
did anyone notice how much LESS $$$$ STRONG will make compared to what MACK BROWN made

INTERESTING!!!! Originally Posted by Daddyslilslut

Keep in mind that Mack made that after raises and being at UT 16 years, as well as playing in the National Title game 2 out of 3 years and winning one of them.

I am sure if Strong touches those benchmarks, he will make as much, or even more money.

I do wonder though, with his background, and if he has great success, how long will he remain before the NFL comes calling.

sixx

INTERESTING!!!! Originally Posted by Daddyslilslut
$3.2 million is what Strong was making at Louisville. It's reported that he will sign a 5 year contract with Texas that will pay him $5 million annually.