I Thought I Was Going To Get Mugged Last Night

Yesterday evening, on the way home from work, I stopped at a favorite Mexican Restaurant to get some grilled chicken. As I was walking out, 4 young men, pants hanging around their underwear,approached me as I was getting into my truck. One asked if I had a couple of dollars. I said "no".

They continued on, then one turned and said, "hey old man, why you gotta be that way".

I was already reaching into my console for my 45, just looking straight at him and giving him my best "don't fuck with me" look. One of his buddies called out, "hey, better leave that dude alone".

They all walked away. I stood there for a moment, contemplating on just what I would have done if the situation had escalated.

It's a scary thought. I am thankfull they walked away. I really do not want to hurt anybody, nor do I want to get hurt.
Glad it turned out alright, bad deal to shoot a kid over chicken.
Yesterday evening, on the way home from work, I stopped at a favorite Mexican Restaurant to get some grilled chicken. As I was walking out, 4 young men, pants hanging around their underwear,approached me as I was getting into my truck. One asked if I had a couple of dollars. I said "no".

They continued on, then one turned and said, "hey old man, why you gotta be that way".

I was already reaching into my console for my 45, just looking straight at him and giving him my best "don't fuck with me" look. One of his buddies called out, "hey, better leave that dude alone".

They all walked away. I stood there for a moment, contemplating on just what I would have done if the situation had escalated.

It's a scary thought. I am thankfull they walked away. I really do not want to hurt anybody, nor do I want to get hurt. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Yes it is a scary thought. Most people who voice their opinions on crime and things like Gun Control have never been a victim or felt they were about to be, like you experienced. Iam thinking two things were in your favor. One. maybe they had a feeling you were armed or the fact that you minimized the incident by not saying much which may have kept the whole incident from escalating into something much more serious. Iam certainly glad this incident was in your favor.

Jim
Glad it turned out alright, bad deal to shoot a kid over chicken. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
No shit.

It could have been over 2 bucks.
Good for you Jackie... This ain't no country for old men.

It's a scary thought. I am thankfull they walked away. I really do not want to hurt anybody, nor do I want to get hurt. Originally Posted by Jackie S
That is why I went through the process to get my CCL. I have mine on my hip, in the restaurant, in the parking lot, wherever. . Since you can never be sure where you may be accosted, always have it available. Given your description of events, I would not have drawn, but I would have had my hand close and watched to see if they reached for any weapons. If all they did was talk, I'd keep moving to the vehicle in hopes of avoiding a confrontation. I would be thrilled if I went the next 20 years and never drew, but I will have it with me, in case that incident where I need it ever arises.
The young man, (I'm guessing about 19), never got within 15 feet of me when he said what he said, so when I say I was already reaching for my 45, I did not actually pull it out. None of you from aside a few Providers have ever seen me in person, but even though I am 68, I don't think I look like someone you want to fuck with.

Maybe I am not up on the latest protocol. I do not think it is acceptable behavior to simply walk up to strangers and ask for money. Especially seemingly young healthy men shouldn't be doing it.

Maybe it's a generational thing.
Years ago a hand gun saved Dad from a mugging in Wichita, Ks from a car load of black young men. Better safe than sorry Jackie.
Glad you are OK Jackie. Next time get WTF to deliver it to you.
A mugger's threat of violence is like a stripper's promise of sex: the really skillful ones make you believe without mentioning either.
Jackie, I am glad things worked out well for you.
Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
Hahah, Good ole West Baton Rouge parish. Where anything can happen and everything goes, lol.

Jim

You are one fortunate man. I am glad that no one had to get hurt or die.
Great that you are prepared (somewhat) but I would also advise to pursue your CCL and have that .45 readily available. as well.My dad is 79 and he carries near every place he goes to except those places forbidden by Statue 30.06 here in Texas.
Grilled chicken? From a Mexican food restaurant?