Hobby social media? I need info!

• BLM69
  • 11-12-2018, 08:48 AM
I wanted to dabble and possibly connect with some social media talent, created a IG account, did a hashtag search #eccie, found a few providers, followed one and 10mins later I get 2 PM's here asking if I followed them and if I just created a IG account lol, I found this odd but not a big deal

I log in today and all my 3-4 post are gone and IG is asking for a phone number? Also noticed that IG is a Facebook product? Is it safe to enter my hobby #? Will my profile pop up when my hobby number or hobby e-mail is searched?
As a security professional, I highly recommend you don't use your ECCIE user name or # in any social media platforms. In fact don't use google, hotmail, or yahoo mail here either. Use Protonmail instead.

stay safe and anonymous!
  • BLM69
  • 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM
As a security professional, I highly recommend you don't use your ECCIE user name or # in any social media platforms. In fact don't use google, hotmail, or yahoo mail here either. Use Protonmail instead.

stay safe and anonymous! Originally Posted by Deep3y3s
I've received a PM from a member familiar with social media with some good advice, I've just updated my gmail hobby e-mail to my protonmail for added security.

Also must add that I'm on VPN on private browser and don't ever use apps for hobby activities. Any more tips
Word on the street that TittyTat3 already has your IP and, possibly, your RWI info already......
Also a security professional. If you used any RW info for the IG account then delete it and create a new account with only hobby info. Never mix RW online accounts with hobby info, or create hobby accounts using some RW info. Always use a VPN and your browser's private mode when visiting eccie or any other hobby sites. Change your passwords every 90 days and don't use the same one for every site.

That's all I got off the top of my head but it's enough for the average consumer.

- dave
And +1 on protonmail
  • BLM69
  • 11-12-2018, 04:13 PM
I believe my ip address is in the ATL at the moment, TT is a bit clueless about this kinda stuff.
Also a security professional. If you used any RW info for the IG account then delete it and create a new account with only hobby info. Never mix RW online accounts with hobby info, or create hobby accounts using some RW info. Always use a VPN and your browser's private mode when visiting eccie or any other hobby sites. Change your passwords every 90 days and don't use the same one for every site.

That's all I got off the top of my head but it's enough for the average consumer.

- dave Originally Posted by CowboyDave

I concur. I also use NordVPN and highly recommend it.
  • BLM69
  • 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM
All good points guys, I heard a while back that even looking at someone's page/feed can possibly trigger your page being suggested as a possible friend on their end?

Also heard that using the same unprotected network can do the same? Also heard that when you use their app to log in, it searches your phone contacts for possible people on social media? Probably going overboard with this rather play it safe
I refuse to visit any site that asks permission to access my contacts. Might add to what others have said do not be logged in to facebook and similar sites while you are visiting hobby sites. Through various means any time you are logged in to facebook and probably google, etc ALL your surfing activity is tracked for profiling purposes. Before you log in to any hobby sites explicitly log out of all social media sites. If you do not then any activity you engage in is fair game for storing and using later.
It'll sync your contacts IF you turn the option on... you should go to your settings and read through it. Theres a lot of things you can turn off and on with a flip of a switch.
Alyssa, beginning to like the head you have on your shoulders. Might be fun to meet and go over things comparing our settings and helping each other understand what needs to be set on or off to get maximum privacy. I will buy dinner if you ever want to get together for a dinner and security discussion with no additional straings attached. Though it might be4 mice to have an incall nearby in case you turn out to be sweet and the security/privacy discussions turn to chemisty and we decide to do what consenting adults tend to do.
I think Alyssa is adorbs. And a smart (cute) cookie (and I'm the cookie expert)!
  • BLM69
  • 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM
It'll sync your contacts IF you turn the option on... you should go to your settings and read through it. Theres a lot of things you can turn off and on with a flip of a switch. Originally Posted by Alyssa Monroe
I've turned off so much that it's private, I think social media may not be for me, too many dumb people pretending and nobody's thinking their famous, social media famous lol
Thanks for all the good advice