Are people really that dumb?

It's late and I'm looking, a few PMs, a few texts, looking good and then...crickets...rinse, repeat a couple times. (and yes, I might be a little picky, but I know what I like / don't like and why should I settle for less?)

So I go to the scourge of the interwebs...BP

Looking around, google some numbers, etc. Looks to me like lot's of fakes, stings scams and really sketchy things (things cuz I swear some of them look more like guys with makeup on)

So on to my point, I come across one, looks really good, pics are awesome (IMHO). Time to do the right click and "search google for this image" only to find this and I would venture to guess 75%-90% of the really good looking ones are about the same. Are there really that many stupid people out there that fall for this stuff?

I know some of you ladies started on BP and then found your way here, and some of you still post on BP, what is your opinion? (And I don't think that any of the nice ladies here are doing any of that bait and switch stuff on BP)
Lots of consideration when venturing into BP. Many categories of advertisers on BP:

1) Girls are just starting off and don't really know what they're doing. They choose to use fake pictures because they are a) afraid to use their actual pics for privacy concerns b) using a picture they feel would fairly represent themselves

2) Scam artists looking to get easy income from unsuspecting suckers. They choose to use fake pictures because a) there really isn't any girl involved b) they don't want their scamming faces plastered online so their suckers can easily identify them for revenge.

3) Providers who for one reason or another, couldn't make it on ECCIE. They choose to use fake pictures because a) their real pictures are just too ugly to get any attention b) they already have a bad rep, so are hoping for a fresh start

4) Legit providers who advertise on ECCIE, but also advertise on BP as an extra advertising avenue. Especially useful for meeting short notice needs.

5) LEO sting operation

As long as you have ways of screening out 2) 3) and 5), no reason to discount BP altogether. Bait and switch is just one of many things you need to look out for. Even if you find a hot chick who looks just like the pictures, how do you know what level of service you're going to get until you schedule with her? Someone will always have to be the first.......the one to TOFFT.......it's the same for newbies on ECCIE.
When people think with their other head... Yes!
Or, they might not have all the extra time on hand to do all the searching.
I wouldn't say it's dumb so much as simple ignorance for many. When first nervously peeking into the dark side with no clue of what to expect and no knowledge of helpful places like Eccie I would say a great many are simply forced to learn the hard way.

Hard to imagine my first hobby experience was out of the chronicle way back when they had an adult services section.

I quickly wrote off hobbying altogether until discovering ASPD which quickly educated my ignorant newbie ass.
  • Qziz
  • 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Educated consumers are a minority. Backpage caters to the majority.
Joe Blow's sitting in his cubicle and knows his browser activity is monitored, so he uses his phone to find a little after-work relief. Takes longer and is a hassle to suck image searches through a phone browser. Most guys looking for a good time don't:
  1. Know about ECCIE or the other boards.
  2. Plan their liaisons ahead of time.
  3. Understand the industry one iota.
Per three, consider that most have to one extent or another internalized the social stigma against paying for play - at least directly (how many hypocrites think buying a woman dinner entitles them to something is doesn't) - and so are skittish at best about learning to do it right. This is the problem with lacking a clear moral framework. If you're not confident that your actions are justified - something the vast neurotic majority of people never bother figuring out because it makes them uncomfortable to question their cultural indoctrination - you're less likely to give them your best effort. Plus, no one wants to get busted, but a lot of fools think doing things quickly and thus badly exposes them to less risk (out of sight, out of mind), leading them to do risky things half-baked.

On top of all that, the vast majority even of people who are young enough to have grown up with computers and/or smartphones are only even now gradually beginning to understand that they can do a reverse image search. Consequently, many providers are likely oblivious to it and so are most of their prospective clients. Technical illiteracy is the rule, not the exception. The ubiquity of technology has not changed that, and in some ways has reinforced it as it's led people to take it for granted. Not understanding how the internet works, they only become aware of it's functionality when they're explicitly led to it by advertising or popular culture.

Don't mistake ignorance for innate stupidity. Ignorance can be remedied.

Finally, if you want to spend time with an experienced ECCIE provider, don't wait until just before. And realize that not all of those available post ads.
Yes some people are REALLY THAT DUMB!!!
"You can't fix stupid!"