i think michael jackson was a musical genius

• pxmcc
  • 10-04-2022, 01:17 AM
so i had to work backwards, but this is the song that convinced me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

but i actually started with a cover by 2Cellos that was just wow. however, it it is an earworm and extreme caution is advised..

you will find yourself dancing even if you have no clue how to dance, and you're a quadriplegic..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9VZZWtMfQ

thoughts on MJ? genius, overrated, misunderstood, or what?
Obviously you don’t know what a musical genius is. You’re confusing choreography with genius. Want genius? Prince
  • pxmcc
  • 10-05-2022, 02:09 AM
Obviously you don’t know what a musical genius is. You’re confusing choreography with genius. Want genius? Prince Originally Posted by Labialover77
exactly the opposite. i scrolled through all the BLM versions of the song that would trigger all my good eccie colleagues on the right until i finally got to a version where the backstory-police brutality against blacks-wouldn't crowd out the front-story-a piece of music that shows that MJ really was a musical genius.

prince? i dunno. i feel like half his music, e.g. purple rain, is basically elevator music. good for the dental chair, but maybe not too much else.

he was a master of marketing tho. A+ in that category, no doubt..
  • BLM69
  • 10-05-2022, 05:49 PM
MJ is/was the king of pop, prince was also a great talent
The only difference is that Mike had been in the business much longer(1969) and Prince came in 1978.

Mike was a great singer and entertainer but did not write all the music he sang on. Prince played almost every instrument on everything he created. And on top of that he has a vault inside his Paisley Park museum that has thousands of unreleased songs. So from a musician standpoint, Prince was the genius.

Mike had more appeal because he had been entertaining the world for much longer.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-07-2022, 02:36 PM
The only difference is that Mike had been in the business much longer(1969) and Prince came in 1978.

Mike was a great singer and entertainer but did not write all the music he sang on. Prince played almost every instrument on everything he created. And on top of that he has a vault inside his Paisley Park museum that has thousands of unreleased songs. So from a musician standpoint, Prince was the genius.

Mike had more appeal because he had been entertaining the world for much longer. Originally Posted by kerwil62
wow ker, i didn't know all that backstory on prince. i remain unimpressed with purple rain-to me it's like listening to whales singing lol-but maybe if i looked at his whole musical corpus, i'd change my mind.

some musicians, say like probably brittany spears, don't write any of their songs. so you have a song ghostwriter, a producer who smooths out the rough edges to make sure it's a hit, probably a choreographer to write the dance moves for the video, and then you have the singer, who should at least be attractive and have a good voice.

and then you have a beyonce or rihanna, who i know zero backstory on, but i suspect both gals write their own shit. if so, they are both musical and dance geniuses. maybe someone who knows can fill us in. beyonce is an h-town girl, so someone local should know her backstory.

whoever wrote the music for "they don't care about us" is a musical genius. whether that was MJ or a ghost writer, i have no idea. but based on nothing more than my intuition, i'd bet anyone 100 pelosi bucks right now that it was MJ and not a ghost writer. but of course i could be 100% wrong. i think he was more like say a beyonce and less like a brittany spears, a legit creative genius.

epilogue: from a 5 minute google search, it looks like beyonce writes much of her own work, and she has a dedicated choreographer, as does rihanna. rihanna writes maybe a bit less of her own music than Beyonce. it appears that MJ wrote all of his own music, and had a sort of dance coach guru who taught him his famous moves, but then MJ did basically his own choreography.

if anyone has better intel, please give us the scoop.
how could you not know the backstory in Prince?

Sounds like you didnt do your homework.

I'd gladly vote for a mofo singin PurpleRain in, well.. purple rain....as he did during superbowl show.

MJ's makeup (or prosthetics) mighrlt melt ifn he got out in the rain
  • pxmcc
  • 10-10-2022, 02:35 AM
i give props to any man who as an adult is 112 pounds and 5'2" and survives grade school bullies and makes something of himself. like i said, he's a marketing genius..

can anyone give me one prince song that shows he's a musical genius? it's not purple rain. purple rain is a hackneyed and prosaic 3 note dental chair clusterfuck. if you have no idea what that means, pull out your old school Merriam Webster and your urban dictionary and do your homework until it makes sense. when you ask questions after you've done your due diligence, it makes you look smart. otherwise, you look lazy or stupid or both. just no..

believe it or not, i'm not denying that prince was a musical genius. (and i've already stipulated he's a marketing super genius, no question about it.) i just want at least 1 song i can listen to that demonstrates that fact.

off topic-point me if you must-but who the hell is meteor man? i've heard suggestions he's evil, maybe even sauron himself in disguise, but i dont buy it for a second. it's true he has unimagineable power-making wargs scurry off wimpering is a rare show of force-but wargs are evil. only a lover of the goodness of the elves, men and dwarves (and halflings, goddam it. never forget the halflings, who saved middle earth in the third age) would do such a thing. i think he is a force for good, like maybe some type of wizard distantly related to Gandalf. the priestesses? aww, hell naw. they some bad bitches but probably hellions in the beaudoir. survive a 1-night 4some with the priestesses without selling your immortal soul and u a pretty bad mofo urself in my book..
When Doves Cry
Prince was pretty private so the inspiration for the lyrics is kind of a mystery. They appear to be about a break up and his concern that he is turning into his parents. Not bad writing and I don't think Prince had a ghost writer. He was far too independent for that.
Prince arranged most if not all of his music. When Dove Cry has no Bass. He just pulled it out pretty much shocking the music world.

He was know for tirelessly working in the studio. His sound engineer on Purple Rain has said that Prince would work around the clock when the creativity was flowing. He would make himself leave so the band and sound crew could get some sleep.
The song showcases his range and pitch.

The fact that he famously wrote, arranged and played every instrument on that song is a testament to his genius.

Now as to the bigger question:

Purple rain credits several musicians.

I think it was his first album that he wrote, arranged, played all the instruments, did all the vocals and meticulously controlled every aspect of the production. By the time purple rain came around he was able to let go of some aspects.
He did most of the Choreography on his videos and Purple rain.

Watch the solo of "while my guitar gently weeps". It was basically unrehearsed. He just stepped on stage and played an incredible outro solo that is memorable in many ways. It's said he could play something like 27 instruments and none mediocre.

Jackson is the undisputed "King of Pop" He wrote or co wrote most of his music. He could play a few instruments but nothing notable. He had moves but I don't think he did a ton of the overall choreography in some of his bigger videos where there were dozens of people.

No doubt he was prolific. What Jackson did have was all of Motown behind him even if it wasn't the actual label by the time Thriller rolled around. You can credit a lot of MJ's success to his relationship with Quincy Jones who was a machine at pushing music out and he helped with collaboration on music. I think Eddie Van Halen played guitar on one track. Everyone wanted to work with MJ for the sheer star power.

MJ didn't mind the spotlight in the early 80s but as his life evolved he became more and more estranged.

Musical geniuses. I'd say both were. I give the star power nod to MJ. Pure talent? Prince hands down.
Prince was a musical dynamo. Not all his songs were winners, but as an artist he could do anything and was filled with creative talent

Michael Jackson, well, do you know who Quincy Jones and/or the entire braintrust of Barry Gordy was? the guy was a pop icon but the producers are what made his music
PX,

As far as Prince being a genius, you have to go back before Purple Rain. Before that soundtrack album he did most of the music(at least 80%) of both The Time, Vanity/Appolonia 6, and Sheila E’s albums on top of his own albums. This is the way Prince worked mostly throughout his career. He also had Paisley Park(named after a song he wrote in 1984 and created a record label under the same name) built which housed a full fledged recording studio, performance stage, his instrument room and vault for all his many tapes of music, just a big ass museum because he eventually got tired of going back and forth to LA to record his music.

One thing I will say is if Prince was still alive, we wouldn’t have all this info on him as we have now.

All I can tell you is to go on YouTube and listen to as much of his music BEFORE 1984 as you can. Most of it is work done by only one man.
Let's not forget that Michael liked to dittle little boys. Still loved his music but that was certainly a black mark that he could not overcome.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-12-2022, 01:31 PM
Let's not forget that Michael liked to dittle little boys. Still loved his music but that was certainly a black mark that he could not overcome. Originally Posted by Mr Willy
i'm not convinced about that. i think he saw himself as a real-life Peter Pan. was he a weirdo? yup. was he a serial pedophile as portrayed? i haven't seen solid evidence to prove that.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-12-2022, 01:40 PM
When Doves Cry
Prince was pretty private so the inspiration for the lyrics is kind of a mystery. They appear to be about a break up and his concern that he is turning into his parents. Not bad writing and I don't think Prince had a ghost writer. He was far too independent for that.
Prince arranged most if not all of his music. When Dove Cry has no Bass. He just pulled it out pretty much shocking the music world.

He was know for tirelessly working in the studio. His sound engineer on Purple Rain has said that Prince would work around the clock when the creativity was flowing. He would make himself leave so the band and sound crew could get some sleep.
The song showcases his range and pitch.

The fact that he famously wrote, arranged and played every instrument on that song is a testament to his genius.

Now as to the bigger question:

Purple rain credits several musicians.

I think it was his first album that he wrote, arranged, played all the instruments, did all the vocals and meticulously controlled every aspect of the production. By the time purple rain came around he was able to let go of some aspects.
He did most of the Choreography on his videos and Purple rain.

Watch the solo of "while my guitar gently weeps". It was basically unrehearsed. He just stepped on stage and played an incredible outro solo that is memorable in many ways. It's said he could play something like 27 instruments and none mediocre.

Jackson is the undisputed "King of Pop" He wrote or co wrote most of his music. He could play a few instruments but nothing notable. He had moves but I don't think he did a ton of the overall choreography in some of his bigger videos where there were dozens of people.

No doubt he was prolific. What Jackson did have was all of Motown behind him even if it wasn't the actual label by the time Thriller rolled around. You can credit a lot of MJ's success to his relationship with Quincy Jones who was a machine at pushing music out and he helped with collaboration on music. I think Eddie Van Halen played guitar on one track. Everyone wanted to work with MJ for the sheer star power.

MJ didn't mind the spotlight in the early 80s but as his life evolved he became more and more estranged.

Musical geniuses. I'd say both were. I give the star power nod to MJ. Pure talent? Prince hands down. Originally Posted by boardman
When Doves Cry: no doubt, absolutely genius piece of music. thanks BM.
  • BLM69
  • 10-13-2022, 05:22 AM
Let's not forget that MJ broke down the doors for all the black artists to be played on MTV, that was a huge deal back in its day, today anyone with talent can go viral by uploading a YouTube video. Wasn't as simple back in the 80s