Tipping etiquette

I apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere or I've posted in the wrong form. I'll try not to use the newbie card too often...promise.

I've got a question that may apply to multiple scenarios, but my specific question is regarding incall visits to an independent TS provider.

A long time ago, I read that it is appropriate to leave donations shortly upon entry on a table or someplace similar. In a recent visit, I did just this. I kind of got the feeling that the provider was giving me a "look" that this was something she hadn't seen before. I may have just been overthinking things. I was pretty nervous. I guess I'd like to know what the appropriate protocol is here but my real question is regarding the amount. I left the total amount requested for one hour. Since my visit, I've noticed more listings that have lines that read "tips are appreciated" or something of that nature. I started poking around, mainly on these forums, and noticed a lot of questions about how much a provider costs, with tip. Got me thinking...Did I stiff this young lady? It should be noted that we never actually agreed upon an amount of time? She did as me if I wanted a "full hour or half-" then quickly said "i mean, do you know what my donations are." Her listing actually only offered information on a full hour. The actual session was actually right at about 1/2 hour. This is likely me rationalizing the fact that I probably did walk out without tipping.

Begs the question, for me anyhow-What is the proper tipping etiquette in this scenario? Feel free to expand on other situations as well.
Based on what you described, I'd say what you did is pretty much standard.
I'll tip if I get extra good service, or if I've (gently) negotiated beforehand. I don't do TS, though, so that may be different.

On negotiating, since I mentioned it - I'll generally only negotiate if the lady is new or for some other reason I don't know what to expect. I wouldn't normally negotiate with a lady who has several reviews and plenty of pics, because I know ahead of time what I'm getting, and how much I should expect to pay. An exception be if there's an unusual situation - once I booked an incall, because I can't do outcall. It turned out she didn't have an incall available, so we had to do a car date. That's not her usual service, so it wasn't her usual rate.

If it's very late at night and they take care of me last minute, I'll tip.
I always leave the money before the session starts very discretely on the dresser.

Reading alerts from providers and customers it does seem that some wait until the session is over to pay.

I tip if I got an unexpected BBBJ an unrished session and the picture/age matched the girl....that's like the triple crown in horse racing and rarely happens. When it does I tip $20 to $40 .....high end tip if I want to make her a regular.

My hookups over the past 12months have been very bad so I have not been in a tipping situation for a long time.
You never tip business owners so I would never tip an independent provider, only agency and studio girls