Do tourism commercials really work?

Have you ever been even remotely influenced to visit a part of the world because you've seen a television commercial about it? Tourism commercials seem to be on the increase and, to me, they seem such time-wasters.

The latest I've seen is a California tourism commercial discrediting "the many misperceptions about California" and features Kim Kardashian in a bikini reading a book, which is in itself a misperception about California.
I don't think the ads make you want to jump up and go there. But "out of sight, out of mind" is reality.

I think any venue that has a healthy tourism market had better keep their name out in front of everyone.
As someone that has spent a great deal of time studying advertising effectiveness I can tell you measuring its effectiveness is an inexact science at best for even the largest of advertisers/agencies (with huge resources for analysis; not necessarily the case for the tourism board for some seaside town a couple hours drive from you).

I'll suggest the effectiveness varies, just like for other product categories. Like RK suggests, it does little for immediate purchase (i.e. picking up the phone, "Wow, Savannah, next weekend, we're in!"), but does reinforce different destinations as options.

Finally, remember, for most of us, vacation planning is a long cycle purchase. Much like a new car or a new life insurance agent we aren't in the market for these categories every day. Contrast that for an ad for a beverage or a new cleaning product which we might put in our shopping cart the next time we are out.
Borat really made me want to see Kazakhstan.

Disney seems to do a fairly good job.

I tend to be intrigued by little-known out of the way places. Before my Dad passed, I wanted to see Mongolia and Iceland with him (he traveled widely).
Jamaica's commercials once inspired me to buy a new Bob Marley album.

Up here in Mazoland we get a lot of ads for South Dakota and Minnesota. Who do they think they're kiddin'? I mean, really?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Up here in Mazoland we get a lot of ads for South Dakota and Minnesota. Who do they think they're kiddin'? I mean, really? Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
That reminds me when I lived in St Louis they were always pushing Iowa.
  • WTF
  • 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
The latest I've seen is a California tourism commercial discrediting "the many misperceptions about California" and features Kim Kardashian in a bikini reading a book, which is in itself a misperception about California. Originally Posted by FLWrite
What is the misperception? Kim reading a book, Kim reading a book in a bikini, Kim in a bikini

To your orginial question, I live in Houston, we get allot of commercials to visit San Antoine. I haven't been there in a few years but was in LA last month playing golf at Trump National GC while my gf shopped in Beverly Hill hoping to see one of those silly witchs. So don't discount those Kardashians!

I don’t watch TV so I don’t see the bulk of any advertising campaign. In the newspaper or magazines, I simply don’t bother to look at any advertising unless it is sufficiently flashy to catch my eye. When it does catch my eye, I hate to admit this, but it usually works. That’s how I ended up on my first cruise. I would have never considered a cruise, but the ad worked. That trip was mas o menos so I took another one to Alaska. Alaska was awesome; the cruise was not. I’ll probably never go on another cruise.
When it does catch my eye, I hate to admit this, but it usually works. That’s how I ended up on my first cruise. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Your first husband too, right?
Your first husband too, right? Originally Posted by pjorourke
How'd you know .