Could not help posting this

I present the useless fact for the day:

The species with the largest testicles (in relation to body weight) is..... drum roll please....the tuberous bushcricket! Click here to read the article.

You see, this is what happens to scientist who have been in the lab too long, they begin researching some rather... interesting things. The nerd in me is fascinated, while researcher in me is wondering where I can find funders so willing to back any project.

Oh well, congratulations to the tuberous bushcricket! That is a mighty impressive evolutionary feat for a little insect...Although I am pretty sure this will be all I can think about should I ever be offered crickets (or grasshoppers for that matter- admit it, they look the same) by anyone again :-)
Come on Pretty Lady. Give us a Showcase otherwise we might be relegated to Penthouse Letters. Oh sorry! That was another thread.
  • Roark
  • 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm still hoping for this type of a provider experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ry2...eature=related

My grandfather was a tuberous brushcricket...
I present the useless fact for the day:

The species with the largest testicles (in relation to body weight) is..... drum roll please....the tuberous bushcricket! Click here to read the article.
Originally Posted by Anna Symon
Chuckie, looks like you have some competition for the "too much free time on their hands" title.

Charles, you have way to much free time on your hands. Originally Posted by John Bull
Oh, so that is why several ladies have referred to me as "bush cricket balls". Thanks for solving that mystery for me!
  • 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM
The nerd in me is fascinated, while researcher in me is wondering where I can find funders so willing to back any project. Originally Posted by Anna Symon
mmh, a certain HDH would have given you a priceless Shakespeare quote: "Love talks with better knowledge, and knowledge with dearer love."
lol--interesting!
...The species with the largest testicles (in relation to body weight) is..... drum roll please...... Originally Posted by Anna Symon
I saw a democrat joke coming there.
lol--interesting! Originally Posted by DallasRain
+2
Come on Pretty Lady. Give us a Showcase otherwise we might be relegated to Penthouse Letters. Oh sorry! That was another thread. Originally Posted by John Bull
Penthouse Forum Letters?! Oh, the horror! ;-) Feel free to browse my website, I have plenty of photos up there- have fun :-)
I saw a democrat joke coming there. Originally Posted by FLWrite
Hahahahaha, it was so tempting to make a political joke, but I resisted the urge :-)
Oh, so that is why several ladies have referred to me as "bush cricket balls". Thanks for solving that mystery for me! Originally Posted by Spaulding Smails
Anytime, that is what I am here for: companion and mystery solver extraordinaire! ;-)
Chuckie, looks like you have some competition for the "too much free time on their hands" title.
Originally Posted by pjorourke
I admit to abusing my free time occasionally :-) Although in my defense, this time it is more about being a nerd than being overburdened with free time. I am a follower of NGS on twitter and saw the headline on my phone.

Side note: I am truly a nerd, half of the accounts I am following are research organizations haha. Is it bad when your twitter follow list is more like an list of NSF grant receivers than a group of close friends???? :-)

Oh well, I've come out of the closet at last. I, Anna Symon, am a nerd. :-)
But what animal has the largest penis proportional to body size? I've been told that the freshwater ostracod (a type of mollusc) has a penis that is about 20 % of it's body size.