ICYMI: Kehinde Wiley's works will be exhibited at MAMFW until 1/10

To my fellow art appreciators who are based in DFW, The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth will be exhibiting works by visionary contemporary artist Kehinde Wiley. Kehinde Wiley: A New Republic serves as an extensive career overview and features nearly 60 works. The works on display include Wiley's signature portraits of modern day African American men superimposed onto classical historical backdrops and posed to evoke regal and elite figures of centuries past. More recent portraits of Black women, as well as videos, sculptural portrait busts, and stained glass pieces are also components of the exhibition.

Although A New Republic has been open since this past September, it is only up for one more week. (I sure wish I found out sooner!) The last time I was so thoroughly excited for an exhibition was last winter, when some of Jean‑Michel Basquiat's works were on display at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art for the "Basquiat and the Bayou" exhibition.

John the Baptist in the Wilderness, by Kehinde Wiley, 2013

Randerson Romualdo Cordeiro, by Kehinde Wiley, 2008

More on Kehinde Wiley: A New Republic
looks like something important to art nerds, but it's lost on me..

my idea of art is a stick figure with a penis.
^^^^^ I could vaguely envision how a stick figure with prominent genitals could be art. But it is quite a stretch for me. Then again "art" is subjective...

p.s.

Lena,

Thank you for this topic! I haven't been to that museum, yet, and I've wanted an excuse to visit Fort Worth.

First, to go to that pretty lingerie shop that I wrote about last month, plus I haven't been to the Kimbell in forever.

Again ... thanks for the topic.

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
It closes this weekend? Damnit! What am I doing with my life? Now I need to find a way to get over to see it. It's an awesome premise and the photos I've seen are breathtaking.
I'm bummed that I missed it, but I do hope that I'll get the opportunity to see another Wiley exhibition in the future. Either way, I'm very much looking forward to my time in DFW. I'm still going to check out the The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. And Elisabeth, The Velvet Box has been on my mind since you mentioned it!