RiP - Mr Hockey

So, from a small child, Hockey has been born into me.

My father was a die hard Red Wings fan, and Gordie Howe was his favorite all time player.
When he passed away, I got a tribute tatoo with Mr Howe and Sawchuck incorporated.

Thank you for all the Memories of great hockey when the sport was about love of the game and not money.

I met Mr Howe at a book signing, and have his book signed by his and his wife.
Off to the golden goal posts in the sky sir.......
this forum isn the obituries
The Sandbox - Kansas City Metro
The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

lets keep it light, besides no one knows who the fuck you are lamenting about,
I'm sure a lot a people are aware of who Gordie Howe is ...it just won't get the same attention with all the Ali coverage going out there I guess.

Dude was a badass ...played in 4 decades and retired in his 50's.
this forum isn the obituries
The Sandbox - Kansas City Metro
The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

lets keep it light, besides no one knows who the fuck you are lamenting about, Originally Posted by johnnyretard
Your right, "Sports Talk" is listed in the title here.
I did not ask who the fuck knows who he is. - If you dont know, dont comment, or use google, one of the top 2-3 Hockey players in the history of the sport.
  • Cleo
  • 06-11-2016, 07:11 AM
I did not ask who the fuck knows who he is. - If you dont know, dont comment, or use google, one of the top 2-3 Hockey players in the history of the sport. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
+1
Dude was a badass ...played in 4 decades and retired in his 50's. Originally Posted by JCM800
Sorry JCM,
5 decades, he did have one game in a 5th decade.
(couldn't resist correcting a mod)

... one of the top 2-3 Hockey players in the history of the sport. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
Sorry Mccaffery, also wrong. Try #1
Orr himself calls Howe "Mr. Hockey".
Orr should know, Howe had Orr kiss ice their first game.
and,
Gretzky recently stated Howe was "Greatest hockey player ever".
Gretzky played with Howe against the Russians (so what if Gretzky was quoting another Orr statement)

With the other 2 of the top 3 deferring to Howe, that puts Howe #1.
I did not ask who the fuck knows who he is. - If you dont know, dont comment, or use google, one of the top 2-3 Hockey players in the history of the sport. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
this isnt sports talk
this is LAMENTING
la·ment
ləˈment/
verb
gerund or present participle: lamenting
mourn (a person's loss or death).
"he was lamenting the death of his infant daughter"
synonyms:mourn, grieve, sorrow, wail, weep, cry, sob, keen, beat one's breast "the mourners lamented"

antonyms:celebrate, rejoice

• express one's deep grief about.

• express regret or disappointment over something considered unsatisfactory, unreasonable, or unfair.
    "she lamented the lack of shops in the town"

if you wanna feel sorry for the life works, great but expect others to move on,

google who what is?
that was never the issue, go google irrevelant, eh?
you set up a strawman so you can knock it down? LOLZ weakz
Johnny Retard - if this was posted in the wrong forum, I am sure the Mods would have moved it to the correct forum. Funny how they posted and did not move it.
Your another Keyboard warrior with nothing better to do than tell others when they are wrong, when in fact you are the wrong one.
Do us all a favor and leave starbucks - you are no cooler than the yuppie in flannel buying cold fucking coffee because they are sweating thru thier stocking cap when it is 95 degrees outside.. Real men drink it black, not flavored.

Statistcly Gretzky is #1 with 9 Hart Trophies / Howe has 6
When Howe played he yes would have won 1 more but it was not around yet.
Still Howe is behind Gretzky in the stats books.
Of course another player is going to call their idols #1.
When Gretzky dies, Mario will call him #1

Example - Didnt Barry Sanders quit so he wasnt the one to break Walkers record.
Sanders one of the best running backs in the game.

I am an Avalanche fan, never going to admit a Red Wing to be #1 anything.
I am an Avalanche fan, never going to admit a Red Wing to be #1 anything. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
Heh
Do you think you have a vote vs Orr & Gretzky?
Heh
Do you think you have a vote vs Orr & Gretzky? Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
I did say Statistically Gretzky was #1
Just like Roy is Statistically is the #1 Goalie.
Most would say Sawchuck, but he didn't live long enough to play as long as Roy.

Funny, Hey Johnny - this became a sports thread. You should be happy now.

UC - I honestly think it is unfair to compare all 3 mentioned.
They did play in different times. It is best to say Howe is the best in his generation, and the younger crowd would say Gretzky.
I would say Sakic / Forsberg "Sakic being my favorite player all time".

I was young when they played, so honestly I cannot vote on any of them.
Gordie is the only one I have personally met, and he was a genuine person.

Gretzky has a great story about his first game against Howe.
He stole the puck, and got slashed on the hand. He says he took his glove off, and was shaking his hand and looking at it when Gordie skated up and said "Don't ever steal the puck from me again"

It is however great to see somebody in KC talking about Hockey.
Funny, Hey Johnny - this became a sports thread. You should be happy now. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
Heh.

It is however great to see somebody in KC talking about Hockey. Originally Posted by Mccaffery
True.
And sadly amusing that Sprint Ctr and Kemper both have ice equipment installed and all we have is the Mavs at IEP.
  • Cleo
  • 06-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Well since we seem to be weighing in, from a casual hockey fan mind you, my favorite all time was "the dominator." Never seen anything like him! Also loved "super Mario," and Brett Hull. But from what I've read, & heard from more knowledgeable people than I, my top 3 are at the least, a reflection of how truly little I may know about the sport. I guess that's the thing about opinions, huh? Lol
Gordie was good, but he was no Andre Faust.
The Mavs are a good time, inexpensive, great for a family.
The last Pro game I went to was Detroit vs Colorado at Pepsi Center.
My dads birthday present.
This was before the CBA, and 4 tickets was $500.00
Now we did sit right behind the Detroit bench, on the Blue Line, but that is an expensive 2.5 hrs.
Wasnt the Sprint Center supposed to be getting the Penguins when it was built lol.
LIke Mario would have ever let them move.