Social Commentary?

First, do no harm. That's a motto I try to live by. I'm a low volume hobbyist and I normally don't do reviews. I enjoy the chat room and reading the forums and comment where I think appropriate. Lately, I see an explosion of drama here on ECCIE...black helicopters overhead, clients and providers seeing LE behind every stop sign, pimps, providers with pimps, providers that are dirty, addicted, pimped, clients that are scumbags, thieves, potentially dangerous, don't pay, etc. SW is a complete drama bomb all by itself. Lately, I've been wondering if my participation makes things worse. Kind of like one tiny piece of coral on a coral reef. So my question to my fellow hobbyists and providers is: am I, are we, making the situation worse by participating in this thing of ours?
I welcome comments from the more erudite of you.
The problem with your last statement is those you wish to exclude from the conversation won't know you meant to exclude them.
First, do no harm. That's a motto I try to live by. I'm a low volume hobbyist and I normally don't do reviews. I enjoy the chat room and reading the forums and comment where I think appropriate. Lately, I see an explosion of drama here on ECCIE...black helicopters overhead, clients and providers seeing LE behind every stop sign, pimps, providers with pimps, providers that are dirty, addicted, pimped, clients that are scumbags, thieves, potentially dangerous, don't pay, etc. SW is a complete drama bomb all by itself. Lately, I've been wondering if my participation makes things worse. Kind of like one tiny piece of coral on a coral reef. So my question to my fellow hobbyists and providers is: am I, are we, making the situation worse by participating in this thing of ours?
I welcome comments from the more erudite of you. Originally Posted by cimarron

"Lately, I see an explosion of drama here on ECCIE"---Lately huh? I know you have been registered since October 2011, but obviously you have not read the postings prior to your registering. You are not making it worse by participating in the hobby, the hobby is supposed to be fun and drama free, and this board, along with other "adult boards", should really be all about info exchange between fellow hobbyists about the providers, be it reviews or whatever, and adult discussion threads amongst both hobbyists and providers that gives opinions on subjects and answers some questions, exactly what the letters ECCIE stands for. Don't let the "drama" get to you and show the kids that try to start the pissing matches, "agendas" by some and insulting comments by not participating in their discussions and/or using the ignore button. I had to learn that the hard way myself, that you cannot resolve problems with the same level of thinking that caused the problem(s).
  • hd
  • 02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
How dare you call me a erudite!

But I digress, I think these topics you mention are cyclic. I've seen them over and over here, and in other forums. But that is what forums are about, throw in your 2 cents worth and discuss whatever, and most of the time drama will be involved. It's your choice to read and or participate.
Drama? What drama? Oh you mean the occasional spiels about something that scared or angered someone? Quite honestly, the drama I have seen here it the kind you get from any activity that is essentially harmless that has been forced to go underground for one reason or another. It's just part of the turf. You want real drama? Work at a restaurant. And I'm not talking about the fast food kind either. I pop on this board when I want to forget real drama.
Drama? What drama? Oh you mean the occasional spiels about something that scared or angered someone? Quite honestly, the drama I have seen here it the kind you get from any activity that is essentially harmless that has been forced to go underground for one reason or another. It's just part of the turf. You want real drama? Work at a restaurant. And I'm not talking about the fast food kind either. I pop on this board when I want to forget real drama. Originally Posted by Daen1304
I've worked around the restaurant business about 40 years now, as an employee, restaurant owner, and now in sales to the food service industry. Got out of owning restaurants because I couldn't deal with the drama anymore. Guess what? Still got drama on the new gig. I guess we never get away from it.
"Lately, I see an explosion of drama here on ECCIE"---Lately huh? I know you have been registered since October 2011, but obviously you have not read the postings prior to your registering. You are not making it worse by participating in the hobby, the hobby is supposed to be fun and drama free, and this board, along with other "adult boards", should really be all about info exchange between fellow hobbyists about the providers, be it reviews or whatever, and adult discussion threads amongst both hobbyists and providers that gives opinions on subjects and answers some questions, exactly what the letters ECCIE stands for. Don't let the "drama" get to you and show the kids that try to start the pissing matches, "agendas" by some and insulting comments by not participating in their discussions and/or using the ignore button. I had to learn that the hard way myself, that you cannot resolve problems with the same level of thinking that caused the problem(s). Originally Posted by bigdog0311
I was on ASPD for a number of years when I lived in the Austin and Houston areas. Read the forums for those areas, didn't pay much attention to the Dallas ones. Then it disappeared and I recently discovered ECCIE. I'll keep your words in mind, just didn't remember it being this way in the old ASPD days. I want to have fun, while at the same time being ethical in all my dealings. Thanks for your thoughts.
The p was worse than anything here.