Steeler season almost here!

I haven’t been this optimistic in 3-4 years. I really felt we gave Ben 2 years to many. Definitely one.

Reason for optimism:
More depth than we have had in YEARS! That made easier by not being saddled with Ben’s huge contract. Loved Omar Khans aggressive approach!!
I think Kenny is better than Ben was his last couple years. Ben couldn’t move.
Our defense might be as good as the James Harrison/Troy/Ryan Clark led defenses.
Loved our draft

Reason for doubt:
Matt Canada: This is the reason I don’t like defensive minded head coaches. We have to trust an assistant coach to make it work. Look around the league at the most successful teams.
Kenny is unproven. He beat shitty teams end of last year.

I’ll be at the first game against San Fran for sure. A very tough test!

Your thoughts if any.
I think they improved their depth quite a bit, certainly the offensive line, and maybe the secondary, assuming Peterson still has some gas left in the tank. However, I don’t think they can be a contender simply because they are not playing the type of game that contenders play. The NFL today is dominated by big play, quick strike offenses that score a lot of points and score quickly. The Steelers simply are not built that way. The Steelers have committed to a run-oriented offense that uses the QB primarily as a game manager rather than a dynamic playmaker. This is understandable to a degree. Their QB is not one of the elite QBs in the league and probably not capable of leading a dynamic offense. I know we love Pickett, but let’s be objective - he probably is the fourth best QB in the division. At the very least, it is objectively true that all three QBs in the division have had more productivity in a season than Pickett has had. (Watson bouncing back is the most questionable of the opposing QBs). Can Pickett improve? Certainly, but IMO he does not have the talent to become an elite QB like Mahomes, Allen, Burriw, etc.

Just an interesting stat to back up my assertion about the Steelers offense and it’s lack of big play capability. Last season the Steelers scored a grand total of 2 touchdowns from outside the red zone all season. By comparison, the Eagles scored double that number — in the first half of the Steelers-Eagles game! The Steelers offense certainly has a long way to go to match up with that type of production.

Don’t get me wrong; they are not a bad team, and the formula they are using works against bad to mediocre teams. It might possibly get them into the fringes of playoff contention. I just cannot envision them going int Kansas Coty, Buffalo, or Cincinnati and winning a playoff game, though.
I don’t disagree with anything you wrote Smarty. I think being a fan clouds my perspective a lot. Particularly preseason.
Teams have won big with average QBs, but since we don’t have a Doug Pederson or Kyle Shanahan as a head coach it’s a stretch.
I’m just hoping Canada somehow turns into a great coach with a young QB that can move.
I think Kenny has the talent and smarts to command a run and shoot offense. They did very well after he settled in as a starter.
  • Devo
  • 07-29-2023, 11:50 AM
Still the same mediocre coach, I expect what we have seen for the last decade will continue, the hope of a possible playoff, and, a quick finish if the playoffs do occur.

Kenny Picket is the ghost of Dan Marino reincarnated for a great hometown hero story, but I don't think he has the ability to pull it off.
Still the same mediocre coach, I expect what we have seen for the last decade will continue, the hope of a possible playoff, and, a quick finish if the playoffs do occur.

Kenny Picket is the ghost of Dan Marino reincarnated for a great hometown hero story, but I don't think he has the ability to pull it off. Originally Posted by Devo
No playoff wins in 7 years does make your point about Tomlin. I saw a comparison between him and Mike Mcarthy down in Dallas. VERY similar career. One is considered a sure fire HOFer and other has pressure on him every year.

But, he never loses his team. And that’s not easy with todays millionaire athletes. So there’s that. I think if it’s another average year, his time here will come to an end.

It’s always a long shot to find a franchise QB. I hope you’re wrong about Kenny. He probably will be average, but you never know.
No playoff wins in 7 years does make your point about Tomlin. I saw a comparison between him and Mike Mcarthy down in Dallas. VERY similar career. One is considered a sure fire HOFer and other has pressure on him every year.

But, he never loses his team. And that’s not easy with todays millionaire athletes. So there’s that. I think if it’s another average year, his time here will come to an end.

It’s always a long shot to find a franchise QB. I hope you’re wrong about Kenny. He probably will be average, but you never know. Originally Posted by Charley3
I don't think Kenny is going to be another big Ben or Bradshaw but I do expect him to be much more than an average qb.
He has the tools and the mindset, his progress will depend greatly on the offensively coordinator,......