That was a close one!

Was at the Astros vs. Reds game and thought you guys were going to be spoilers. . .then Stubby jumped up and robbed the Strohs. . .WOW!

Reds clinch title, 1st playoff spot in 15 years

CINCINNATI—Jay Bruce raised both index fingers as he rounded first base and took the final steps toward a long-awaited championship. Jubilant Reds teammates streamed toward the plate while fireworks went off overhead.

Fifteen years of futility had just ended with Bruce's dramatic swing.

Bruce homered on the first pitch from Tim Byrdak leading off the ninth inning Tuesday for a 3-2 victory over the Houston Astros, securing an improbable NL Central title for a franchise that has gone through some of the worst times in its history.

Nine straight losing seasons. A 15-year playoff drought. All washed away with one home run and an eye-stinging clubhouse spray.

"There's nothing like it," said Bruce, who repeatedly got doused with bottles of Korbel champagne and 24-ounce cans of beer in the clubhouse.

The 23-year-old outfielder, part of Cincinnati's young nucleus, provided a fitting finish to the championship drive. Cincinnati has won 22 games in its last at-bat, second-most in the majors.

Drama found them all season as they got into contention early, then held off the heavily favored Cardinals in a tight-as-could be race.

"When he hit that one up there, there was a big sigh of relief and the party was on," manager Dusty Baker said. "I'm as happy as a man can be. This is sweet. This is a special group, special guys and a special feeling."

With the latest title, Baker joined Bill McKechnie as the only managers to lead three different NL teams to the playoffs. Baker also has made it with the Giants and Cubs.

There could be more drama left.

Left-hander Aroldis Chapman (2-2) pitched a perfect ninth, topping out at 101 mph while showing playoff opponents the nasty stuff they can expect in a week or so.

The Reds sold 30,151 tickets for the clinching game -- above-average for a cool September weeknight -- and took the field almost tasting it. Second baseman Brandon Phillips said he doesn't drink and has never taken so much as a sip of champagne.

"I don't know how it's going to taste," Phillips said. "I don't know what's going to happen."

Most Reds were novices at the sip-and-spray tradition. Four female fans in the upper deck wore shirts that, side-by-side, urged the home team to "Show Us The Bubbly."

The crowd was on its feet in the sixth, when the Reds loaded the bases with none out. Phillips tied it at 2 with an infield single to the hole at shortstop, but Bruce grounded into an inning-ending double play.

Bruce made up for it on his next swing. Byrdak (2-2) left his lone pitch right down the middle -- a perfect spot to start a celebration.

"You never want to see that," Byrdak said. "We wanted to win all three games and make them clinch against somebody else."
Maybe you should re-title this thread, "hey, since you're down, let me kick you in the balls one more time."
Maybe you should re-title this thread, "hey, Houston, Please kick me in the balls one more time." Originally Posted by Killersalt
fixed that for ya
Oh come on. . .it has been fifteen, well actually twenty years since the Reds have been any good. Let me have my moment. I am sure the Astros will kick our tail again for many seasons to come.

• bbkid
  • 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Was a very good game to watch regardless of the outcome. A bit of drama, good defense, good pitching, and alas, a celebration at the end.
Cinci had Pete Rose and the big red machine.
We had.........uh...............w ell,
we had Nolan Ryan haulin' ass up 45 north and they named a fucking road after him in Houston.

It'll take a long time before we're even.
Now Nolan owns the Rangers. Pete Rose is still a douche bag.
  • bbkid
  • 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Pete Rose is still a douche bag. Originally Posted by pyramider

HUH? Perhaps the greatest hitter of all time?

An addict? Yes.
Bad Decisions? Yes.
A douche bag? Uh, no sir.

These are still the images I see when I hear Pete's name.
Douche bag never came to mind.

I loved watching Nolan pitch. He was every bit as intense. You knew it was a fast ball just from the grunt when he let it go. It didn't matter though because the ball was already in the catchers mitt by the time the sound got there.

Rose is a douche. Why else would he be setting up shop across the street from the HOF and signing autograghs? Greatest hitter of all time? Get real, he was just a slap hitter.
Rose is a douche. Why else would he be setting up shop across the street from the HOF and signing autograghs? Greatest hitter of all time? Get real, he was just a slap hitter. Originally Posted by pyramider
Slap hitter? OK, so were Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn. What's your point? BTW he had more home runs than either of those guys.

I always liked watching him play because of his intensity. Some of his behavior off the field may qualify for the douche bag award but the argument has been way too political for me ever to be able to make a judgment. I do know this, If you tell someone for long enough that they are a douche bag, they will become one.
Which came first with Rose? His douche bag behavior or the label douche bag?
That was a close one!

Close to getting A hit!

Cincinnati0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

Philadelphia1 3 0
0 0 0
0 0 x

but Cincy is at least there to try.
Killer Salt 'ol buddy. You said you saw him as a kid and he wouldn't autograph for you? WWWAAAA? He would never autograph anything from kids who had duct tape residue on their foreheads, because they were little assholes!!! You know, the kind that should be taped to the wall away from their sippy cup. C'mon dude, man up and grow up.

You have no clue what drives him to react 'douche-baggy' at times. He drank a lot, probably had an extra black molly vitamin or two and probably had some pretty scary people yanking his strings and bank account. A lot of pressure from that, let alone keeping 250% committed to the love and spirit of the game. If you're a man, you cannot trash a man who committed to that level all those years.

Can I hear an AMEN?

Best story I ever heard were two guys in Vegas in the '90's, in the late am, broke, stopped in a sports bar for a nightcap then to the room. Lo and behold at a table by some tv screens was Pete, a bunch of betting slips and a pyramid of beer bottles in the 2 dozen range.

One bets the other he can start a fight with him and Rose throws the first punch. Bet made, he borrows a pen from the bartender, grabs a bev nap and goes to his table and says,

" Excuse me, Mr. Jenner. Could I have your autograph"?

He jumped up, pushed him into another table and had to be pulled off him.

Douchebag? ... keep it to yourself. He is alright in my book.
  • bbkid
  • 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Can I hear an AMEN? Originally Posted by Big Juan
AMEN, brother. AMEN

boardman, thanks for posting the pics. I have that one of Charlie "in air" autographed. (And no, Killersalt, I DID NOT have to pay for it).

That was a close one!
Close to getting A hit!
Cincinnati0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0
Philadelphia1 3 0
0 0 0
0 0 0
but Cincy is at least there to try. Originally Posted by notanewbie
Careful nan, you'll hurt ftime's little ego. He just loves the Reds.