Older hobbyist question

Not really sure how old some of you guys are on here, I have a question about the old days. Are any of you guys old enough to hobby in the 70's before the HIV scare? If so how common was BBFS back then? I was just curious I just watched documentary on early prostitution in the US I bet they didn't use protection much back then
Sybian
ops: I thought I clicked copy. but last search came up

History of HIV/AIDS - AIDSHealth.org‎

It is now known that it was in US going back to 1940. Reading link has 1980 or 81 that it was known about. Being more than a problem for bi or gay men was not thought of till 1985 if I remember right.
Condoms where in use most of the time but BBFS was a bit more common than now.

mmmmmm need ta think a bit ta get around PT
Not really sure how old some of you guys are on here, I have a question about the old days. Are any of you guys old enough to hobby in the 70's before the HIV scare? If so how common was BBFS back then? I was just curious I just watched documentary on early prostitution in the US I bet they didn't use protection much back then Originally Posted by Seanross26
Sybian
ops: I thought I clicked copy. but last search came up

History of HIV/AIDS - AIDSHealth.org‎

It is now known that it was in US going back to 1940. Reading link has 1980 or 81 that it was known about. Being more than a problem for bi or gay men was not thought of till 1985 if I remember right.
Condoms where in use most of the time but BBFS was a bit more common than now.

mmmmmm need ta think a bit ta get around PT Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
In addition, I don't believe latex was even invented back in the time frame we speak of.

Animal products, such as lamb skin, I assume, were most common and not as protective as latex as a barrier in preventing the spread of STDs, due to porousity.

Nope. Wait. I'm wrong.

According to Wiki:
  • Latex, rubber suspended in water, was invented in 1920. Youngs Rubber Company was the first to manufacture a latex condom, an improved version of their Trojan brand.
  • Europe's first latex condom was an export from Youngs Rubber Company in 1929.
  • Until the twenties, all condoms were individually hand-dipped by semiskilled workers. Throughout the decade of the 1920s, advances in automation of condom assembly line were made. The skin condom, now significantly more expensive than the latex variety, became restricted to a niche high-end market.
mmmmm CBJ was a WTF is that back then.
Condoms where not as good then and more folks had skin reactions problems with. That problem is better now also.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to get around PT, and a few groups of organized groups. PT of one type was more mmm so what till it changed format. yet dealing with another PT was more fun and easier to deal with, but became a big problem with your question at hand. yet not if taken another way.
errrrrrr nope can't get around rules of the board and tell you the truth of the way it was.

Add in then and still a bit now if a gal pointed the finger at another for a PT problem. She most the time was the one with the problem mmm or bigger na greater ya problem.

so for now I will stick with yes, FS was a bit more common than CFS now.
errr forgot: in my opinion some PT problems are easier to deal with than a person that uses Alcohol to much. But we can talk about Alcohol.

I find what we can or can not talk about on a SHMB for adults strange. It seems mostly driven by creditors the board needs to deal with. But it also help keeping down the pointing finger.

So in my opinion to talk about was FS more common before mmmm 1985 and the 70's, yes it was. But to understand why I say yes one needs to see the whole pic what it was like before boards, pagers, cell phones, etc that was not on the street. With out upsetting some groups and getting into the history of some PT with you having HIV and aids part of your question is almost imposable.

I also find that the pointing finger on PT or FS, that finger is on the hand of the most guilty. even on the board. And I never believe not me till I know better.
I miss those days. I could still get laid without paying for it in the 70s and early 80s. I always used to keep a rubber in the wallet. Not thinking about STDs back then, more worried about creating little wantsomes. When I started paying, around mid 80s, I usually used local alternative mags or let my fingers do the walking in the yellow pages to find some fun. The only major difference I think between then and now is many ladies had a shag rug where now its mostly hardwood floors.
wantsome,
I miss the bars and private clubs to find providers. Any restaurant or barber shop that had a hidden card game, well also had providers. If it was more than a grill with hamburgers n hots many times it was the waitress that where the providers. It was hard to get a stripper to do much unless you had PT on hand. But if you knew where she drank outside of the strip club well bingo. Some hotel bars where always hot.
well in Rochester anyways

For me the old ways where safer and more fun than on a board.
It seem like the hobby was a lot better back then except for the forest downstairs lol.
Curious, were there a lot of GFE's back then?
It seem like the hobby was a lot better back then except for the forest downstairs lol. Originally Posted by Seanross26
I beg to disagree on both counts. Without review boards and screening procedures, hobbying was done "in the dark" and there were a lot more potentials for bad or even dangerous encounters for both providers and clients - but I do miss the bushes.
I would often call an agency in the phone book and have out calls to my hotel when traveling for work. Never participated around the home turf. It was like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were getting till ya opened the door. I had some of my best and worst experiences back in the day. Almost always thought with the little head and invited them in for an encounter regardless of what they looked like. Never did the SW stuff, but you at least knew what she looked like prior to picking her up from the corner.
I beg to disagree on both counts. Without review boards and screening procedures, hobbying was done "in the dark" and there were a lot more potentials for bad or even dangerous encounters for both providers and clients - but I do miss the bushes. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
I disagree with the disagreement. I wasn't a hobbyist in 1985, but as for DD's reasons, I wish I could dump this board and go all on the street, my pre-Internet days. It isn't as safe, but it was a lot more fun. I got ripped off then and but I still do now. I don't visit who errs for safety. I'll offer a preemptive: I could still find my loving on the street, but for personal reasons.

I also think those who say the sweet spot of partying over the last several decades was the ten or so years pre-AIDS and pre-New Jack City PT might be right. I am too young to know for sure.
I disagree with the disagreement. I wasn't a hobbyist in 1985, but as for DD's reasons, I wish I could dump this board and go all on the street, my pre-Internet days. It isn't as safe, but it was a lot more fun. I got ripped off then and but I still do now. I don't visit who errs for safety. I'll offer a preemptive: I could still find my loving on the street, but for personal reasons.

I also think those who say the sweet spot of partying over the last several decades was the ten or so years pre-AIDS and pre-New Jack City PT might be right. I am too young to know for sure. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
Sorry, I meant Jack, not DD. I will add I agree with wantsome, you'd call the agency and who knows whats coming until you see through the peephole. The intensity of the anticipation enhanced the experience. Same with the street shopping. I've said several times I think this hobby loses some intensity when you schedule a blowjob three days out.
I am not going to say how old I am, but at Woodstock not many condoms were used and for lube we used petroleum jelly. Hey FREE LOVE that did not last forever.
I beg to disagree on both counts. Without review boards and screening procedures, hobbying was done "in the dark" and there were a lot more potentials for bad or even dangerous encounters for both providers and clients - but I do miss the bushes. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
I disagree with that jack. screening in person I think was a much better way to go. you just had to know where to drink. you did not have ta book ahead.