A Fun Trip Down Memory Lane

I know this is pretty random but after I started to really reminisce I could not help but smile reflecting fondly of the past and I wanted to end this Friday on a positive note and share with you guys! It all started earlier today when a friend and I were at a gas station and we decided to pick up some soda and snack foods! While we were waiting at the check out counter I noticed she got a Payday candy bar; I asked her if she remembered when they used to put nickels that were packaged in plastic in with the candy bar? She looked at me crazy and said “no” and I started to explain my old childhood memory of only getting paydays because they had nickels I could put in my piggy bank! After a few minutes of me trying to explain myself and her looking at me with this dumb grin other people joined in and said they didn’t recall a time when their were nickels in the candy bar either but the question started a whole big conversation that followed through the entire line - Do you remember…..

Some of the things I recall clearly are - do you remember when Pepsi used to sell clear Pepsi, do you remember garbage pail kids, remember when everyone had a pager and it was difficult to find a payphone that was not occupied with someone standing there looking for the number that just paged, do you remember Joe Camel and Spud McKenzie, and finally one of my favorite toys when I was a kid - does anyone remember Teddy Rupskin?

My girlfriend and I talked about the things in life that we no longer own but cherished in the past the entire two hour trip home! Time flew by with all the overwhelming memories from the past! Take a trip down memory lane with me and tell me something that sticks out in your mind from years ago that is no longer around but was such a huge deal to you back when…. Oh, and another favorite, CD players were first coming out, do you remember the first CD you bought?
I remember....I miss those days...First Nintendo...Fraggle Rock...Sit n spins...I had a Teddy Rupskin and I still have a few Garbage Pail kid cards...My very most favorite two things were my Rollerskates and my big wheel...
Blowing on the Nintendo cartridges to get them working.
Ha Ha - remember the power pads?!? I never would actually run in place, I always used my hands and dominated the computer at power jump because I would just run with the pads of my hands and then leap the hurdles what seemed like forever and a day - I always landed with glory because I was not actually about to exerte real physical activity and actually attempt to run in place and *gasp* attempt to jump these game hurdles - I never would have won if I did not cheat!

Oh my gosh, I forgot all about Fragle Rock, I used to love them! Ahhhhh memories!
I remember saving a lot of money for the Nintendo Powerglove. And what a piece of crap it was.

They called it Crystal Pepsi, right? That, too, was awful.

Garbage Pail Kids, however, were incredible. Fryin' Brian was a good controversial one.
ah fucking eh................

Garbage Pail Kids...... I loved Rob Slob, Large Marge...............

Nintendo...... Tyson's Punchout........ and rob the robot..... lol

Pee Wee's Playhouse....... something disturbing about sitting on a talking chair's face.... wonder what the chair would do with its tongue lol

First CD i bought was Anthrax's Persistence of Time........

anyone remember columbia house and BMG cd club's what would always advertise in back of the Parade section sunday's paper??
I remember.....

Vinyl records....
8-tracks....
filling the tank on my motorcycle for less than a quarter....
12 cent comic books..... (worth thousands today!)
miniskirts and thigh high boots.... (the first time around).....
Stewardesses in miniskirts and thigh high boots....
Roller Disco!........
Bell Bottoms and satin shirts.......

But Most of all.....

I remember FREE AND UNPROTECTED SEX WITHOUT WORRIES!
My first pair of platform disco boots.....yes, I said it; the matching suit also; I was a disco dancing fool, and unfortunately, there are pictures.......
  • yeesh
  • 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I remember watching "The Gong Show" JUST so I could see "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine"...I still watch the YouTube clip of that!
I do remember Crystal Pepsi, and the commercial featured the song "Right Now" by Van Halen. I also remember New Coke, and that Jolt Cola was the original energy drink.

I remember Fraggle Rock, the Smurfs, Snorks, and Gummi Berry Juice.

I remember that I was instructed to "Avoid the Noid" when ordering Domino's Pizza.

Also, I believe that the first CD that I ever bought was MC Hammer.
i loved my evel knievel stunt cycle! and all us fuckers thought vanilla ice was da shiznit when ice ice baby came out......cmon ur prolly singing it right now, Stop! collaborate and listen. lol
I remember playing Pac Man and Donkey Kong Jr. on the arcade games in front of Pizza Hut while waiting on my Personal Pan pizza. I remember trying to talk my parents into buying me a pair of the crazy-looking "Back to the Future" sunglasses Pizza Hut sold.

I remember the stiff, sticks of pink gum they used to put in the wax, paper packs of Garbage Pail Kids. I remember when they made trading cards out of every movie and cartoon that came out.

I remember Saturday morning cartoons like "Alvin and the Chipmunks", "Thundarr the Barbarian", "Captain n the Game Master", "Pirates of Dark Water", "The Flintstone Kids", "The Snorks", "Galaxy High", "Ghostbusters", "The Real Ghostbusters", ect.

I remember daily cartoons like "He Man", "Woody Woodpecker", "Batman the Animated Series", "G.I. Joe", "Transformers", ect.

I remember O.G. Readmore, Alf, Punky Brewster, My Pet Monster, Nickelodeon magazine, Max Headroom, "Short Circuit I and II", Coke 2, slap barcelets, flip-top glasses, mad balls, truckapiller, plastic cans of slime, McDonald's commercials that starred Ronald McDonald on Saturday mornings, my buddy and kid sister, Teddy Ruxpin and his spotted caterpiller friend, saving up proofs of purchase from Kool-Aide packs so I could win a stereo, New Kids on the Block (Lame then/ lame now), ect.

I remeber T.G.I.F. coming on A.B.C. on Friday nights with shows like: "Family Matters", "Full House", "Dinosaurs", "Perfect Strangers", "Step by Step", ect.

I remeber high top sneakers, Nike and Rebok pumps, Members only jackets, denim jackets and Panama hats.
Super Balls!.....

Slinky.......
Super Balls!.....

Slinky....... Originally Posted by Whispers

i could bounce a super ball from our front driveway over our two story house into the backyard. i think i almost took out a few windows trying to get the angle just right.
Wow, what a journey!

Let's see:
Kaptain Kangaroo and Mr. GreenJeans
45 rpm records
MTV originally signing on
ESPN broadcasting ping pong matches
When the only news came on at 6 and 10 pm
AM Radio and Rick Dees and Wolfman Jack as DJ's
PinBall machines likeCaptain America that cost a nickle
Grand Funk Railroad's "Inside lookin out"
Lawrence Welk
Johnny Quest