Service dog?

Just got a request for a session with a guy that mentioned he has a service animal and said the dog would be present during the session. Not really sure how I feel about the idea. Thoughts?
Now that's what I call doggystyle.
Service dogs are docile and very unobtrusive
He may need his dog nearby to tell him if he is fixing to go into a critical situation such as a diabetic reaction. Or something along those lines.

It will be a well trained dog I'm sure. It's not like it would shit on your floor or anything.
Of course, if it's because he is blind, then the obvious question is, how will he get to your place? Will someone else bring him (and see where he is dropped off/picked up)? If he rides a bus, he will have to ask someone else where your incall is? Etc. Nothing that can't be dealt with ahead of time with a little planning, but would have to be addressed.
Service dogs are docile and very unobtrusive Originally Posted by txexetoo
I agree.

I would first ask him why he has the need for the dog. Then decide.

Last April, I was in this hotel for a few days and there was this rather odd guy who worked there and who had a "service" dog that was this tiny thing in a backpack and well, it was odd.

But supposedly, this dog was there for mental health. The dog was completely fine. It was one of those tiny yip yap dogs. Not sure what type of breed. Certainly one that was able to be carried in a backpack.

If he had wanted an appointment and had the dog, even though the idea of this dog as being a companion dog was dubious, it would have been fine with me.

But most service dogs wear a certain type of vest, with a certain type of harness attached, that makes it obvious to others that it's a service dog.

I do think that some people will say that an animal is a service animal and it's not. I've seen it before.

Could he send you a picture of the dog? Generally, they have a certain look. Like a Labrador, something like that.

Sounds interesting! (I wonder what I would say if a guy had a service dog? I would ask him why he needed one. I think his disability would concern me more than the dog.)

EW
People with service dogs always carry paperwork and most dogs wear tags to certify that it is actually a service dog and not them just wanting to take their house pet in restaurants and anywhere else they want.
Just make sure it really is a service dog (edit By Namssa see forum guidline #22) Does he have references?
  • ktiix
  • 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I am sure you did already, but make sure you know what the dog is for. There are some delicate medical conditions with service animals, you don't want to trigger one with your professionalism.

And are you sure it's a dog? I've seen other animals miniature horses, monkies. While rarer, I'd imagine that expecting a dog and getting a horse might make me pass a stone.
There is an increasing, and IMHO a dubious, trend in prescribing dogs for social anxiety. But there are many legitimate and new uses for service dogs, too. One example, mentioned very briefly and in passing in another post is the use of dogs to warn diabetics if they are about to go into a ketoacidotic coma based on things the dog can smell very early on.
  • EZ.
  • 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I have one. It is an Australian Shepherd that came from a home with an autistic child with other medical conditions. I believe the child passed away and it was put up for adoption. I had a blue healer that was also a service dog. My ex has her. That dog was in a hospice house. Damn, I miss that dog.
I agree.

I would first ask him why he has the need for the dog. Then decide.

Last April, I was in this hotel for a few days and there was this rather odd guy who worked there and who had a "service" dog that was this tiny thing in a backpack and well, it was odd.

But supposedly, this dog was there for mental health. The dog was completely fine. It was one of those tiny yip yap dogs. Not sure what type of breed. Certainly one that was able to be carried in a backpack.

If he had wanted an appointment and had the dog, even though the idea of this dog as being a companion dog was dubious, it would have been fine with me.

But most service dogs wear a certain type of vest, with a certain type of harness attached, that makes it obvious to others that it's a service dog.

I do think that some people will say that an animal is a service animal and it's not. I've seen it before.

Could he send you a picture of the dog? Generally, they have a certain look. Like a Labrador, something like that.

Sounds interesting! (I wonder what I would say if a guy had a service dog? I would ask him why he needed one. I think his disability would concern me more than the dog.)

EW Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers

He still works there and still has the backpack with the tiny little doggy in it.
The title of this thread made me think peanutbutter...

Ok ok, ya I live in the gutter

Honeydavis,

May I suggest that you get the doggie a treat if you decide to see this gentleman.

The polite way to handle this is to only ask 2 questions.
● Is the dog required
because of a disability?
● What task or service has the dog been
trained to do?
The polite way to handle this is to only ask 2 questions.
● Is the dog required
because of a disability?
● What task or service has the dog been
trained to do? Originally Posted by Ravasher
#22 - ECCIE Staff will go to great lengths to avoid editing, deleting, or censoring our members posts or threads...unless absolutely necessary. Forbidden topics such as underage sex, illicit drugs, bestiality, revealing personal info, medical speculation, or images not in compliance will be removed from public view.