Veterans Day

I come from a military family and have a great deal of respect for those who lay their lives down for all Americans.
Today I met a gentleman while I was shopping and he had a Vietnam Veteran t-shirt on, he had his grandson with him. I walked up to him and asked if he served in that war and he said yes. I put out my hand and said “thank you for your service”, he reached out and shook my hand saying “you’re welcome”. My eyes started to fill as I walked away, and as I left, he said, “They won’t let me sign up again!” He said it in a joking fashion, but just the fact that he SAID it, struck a cord in me. I almost lost it.
I have wanted to visit the World War II Museum in New Orleans, but I don’t think I would make it through without making a complete fool of myself by getting emotional.
To all our veterans who have served our country, I say thank you.
I am a veteran, but honestly don't feel like one. I didn't go overseas or really do anything (that I thing anyways) was important. But I do know what it feels like to serve, and I proudly salute all those who did
I did four years of active duty and 25 years in the Guard.

Your welcum!! I would do it again if God would issue me more younger years. Semper Fi!!
I am a veteran, but honestly don't feel like one. I didn't go overseas or really do anything (that I thing anyways) was important. But I do know what it feels like to serve, and I proudly salute all those who did Originally Posted by LovelyLolita
I'm w/LL--I never know what to say when people thank me, b/c although harassed & over-worked @ times (although not always), my service including actual physical danger was few & far between. Also, I felt generously-compensated for my service. Sometimes I felt overworked--I never felt under-paid: it's odd but there it is. Anyway, I feel the same way when I see these, what look like children to me now, in their BDU's @ airports flying off to God-knows-where--they're the ones I want to thank & buy them some geedunk & they're the ones who really deserve the thanks.
I will say it was an honor to serve. And to LL and OHD, you signed up and new what the consequences could result in. I respect anyone who has said "I am volunteering to do what my country needs me to do."

Thanks Nicolet, for starting this thread.
I am a veteran, but honestly don't feel like one. I didn't go overseas or really do anything (that I thing anyways) was important. But I do know what it feels like to serve, and I proudly salute all those who did Originally Posted by LovelyLolita
LOL - I was an E-9 and served overseas and I don't feel like a vet either! I did support the WWII vets during the government shutdown - with my long hair and everything ... nobody really thought I was a vet in that crowd but they appreciated me being there.

When I retired, I decided to start a new life and not try to lean on that stuff I did in the military. It was fun - but it's over and the next phase begins. If you don't do this then you are just constantly mired in the past and you will never accomplish anything else in life. My old shipmates, when they see me, they call me "Master Chief" ... I tell them ... "Nope - I have a name now". LOL
Honestly...I dont make a big deal about it. I wanted that title since I was a kid. I dont know what else to say when someone says ty.
I'm a vet and proud of it! Served in Desert Storm, 4 years active 8 years National Guard. Whether you served during peace or wartime you did a great service to our country. Much more than the average complaining citizen has done! In addition some of my favorite providers were vets. Lolita, that explains your dedication to service! ;-)
I agree
LOL - I was an E-9 and served overseas and I don't feel like a vet either! I did support the WWII vets during the government shutdown - with my long hair and everything ... nobody really thought I was a vet in that crowd but they appreciated me being there.

When I retired, I decided to start a new life and not try to lean on that stuff I did in the military. It was fun - but it's over and the next phase begins. If you don't do this then you are just constantly mired in the past and you will never accomplish anything else in life. My old shipmates, when they see me, they call me "Master Chief" ... I tell them ... "Nope - I have a name now". LOL Originally Posted by Arverni
I knew you were a MCPO although I don't know your rate. But you have NO idea how many times when we're arguing about something I've nearly typed, "Now G*DDAMMIT Master-Chief!.." which I spent a fair amount of MY career saying, both "up" & "down".

I agree w/the way you look @ it though Arv. Too many times, guys (and I DO mean men--women don't seem to have this particular psychological issue or not have it as often, maybe b/c they have their crises @ other triggering events: children grown, death of spouse, etc.?) retire (not just military--I mean retire from anything) & have nothing left to live for. It sucks for them & those who care about them. Having a plan to do something else, ANYTHING else, is a good one. Retirement, overall, kills people I'm convinced: I meet a lot of guys who really are just sort-of waiting to die after they retire, yet you're young enough & in many cases now (far more than even 20-30 yrs ago) still are healthy enough to productively embark on another career or at least do a decent job @ something.

You may not call bouncing a career, but you have a job you seem to like, some free time, etc. It's not a bad place to be in--I'm not saying your life is perfect or you never have cause to bitch, I'm saying I think you've done a smart thing & I hope I can structure mine in a similar way. You & I fundamentally disagree about some things, but the way you have structured & planned post-retirement for yourself strikes me as admirable.

And to those guys like getsum69 & ILTG68 who enlisted before I did (they weren't QUITE desperate enough for me yet in July 1990), so actually made it to Gulf I, THANK YOU! And LL too!--I knew you were a veteran, you told me awhile back. I have GOT to plan better so I can visit again before Xmas...
Veterans can get free meals at both Hooters and Twin Peaks on Monday.
Thanx for givin me a right to run my mouth rex!!
Now I see why lovely lolita doesn't have any NO-GO's here lol.