why not pay college players?

My brother plays football for a very large university. They are very good and on espn all time. They had a big win this weekend and a couple of hours after the game, my brother called me for money. Now while I don't mind helping my brother, I just think with all the money the schools get from TV, ticket sales, food and donations, why couldn't they give more back to the student athletes. If he gets anything form anyone but me, they investigate, so what are they supposed to do? He gets a small amount from the NCAA, but that's not enough. They should figure something out. Paying for two college students is a pain. Lol
  • CJ7
  • 09-16-2013, 01:28 PM
smaller schools would be at a disadvantage ... simple
Believe it or not, very few colleges make money from their football programs. The costs of running a football program are incredibly high. Certainly there are many teams that rake in the dollars, those that fill 100,000 seats 6-7 weeks a year, those that have tremendous sales of football-related items, and those that receive thousands upon thousands of dollars in contributions from their fans. UT-Austin made a $77.9 profit from football in 2011-12 to rank #1. Far from the norm.

Something I quickly found:

A recent NCAA report done by professor Dan Fulks of Transylvania University in Kentucky shows that only 14 of the 120 FBS schools profited from campus athletics during the 2009 fiscal year. Maybe not surprisingly, sixty-eight universities reported a profit in football.

So 52 of the 120 FBS (formerly known as Division I) universities were not making a profit in 2009 from their football programs. So how many FCS (Division II) universities and Division III and NAIA Universities are making a profit from football? My guess is a much lower percentage than those in the FBS. So for most college football programs, giving athletes some sort of monthly stipend for living expenses would push more programs into the red.

Let's not forget that football players on full scholarship get free tuition, room and board, and money for books I believe. Even at state colleges that is a nice chunk of change. At schools like Notre Dame and Stanford it is a king's ransom. I would certainly agree with you that a minority of the football players have trouble generating money for living expenses. Paying student-athletes money has been talked about for years. Below is a link to an article on the subject.

http://www.kaleo.org/sports/paying-p...9bb30f31a.html
Sorry to put it like this, he's not in College to play Football. He's there to get an education. If he wants to get paid to play he needs to seek the NFL. In the meantime tolerate him mooching off of you and other family members.
Sorry to put it like this, he's not in College to play Football. He's there to get an education. If he wants to get paid to play he needs to seek the NFL. In the meantime tolerate him mooching off of you and other family members. Originally Posted by acp5762
I'm on board with that.

ALL college students mooch off family for money. Yours just happens to play football. Support him now and ope for a big payoff later if he goes pro.
  • CJ7
  • 09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Sorry to put it like this, he's not in College to play Football. He's there to get an education. If he wants to get paid to play he needs to seek the NFL. In the meantime tolerate him mooching off of you and other family members. Originally Posted by acp5762
While I certainly agree with you in theory, and I agree it is the way that student-athletes should think, for many football/basketball/baseball players, college is simply a pass-through to a pro career. More-so in basketball than in football though. Certainly short-sighted thinking on those that don't maximize the education opportunity given to them, but it is a fact of life for many student-athletes.
My brother plays football for a very large university. They are very good and on espn all time. They had a big win this weekend and a couple of hours after the game, my brother called me for money. Now while I don't mind helping my brother, I just think with all the money the schools get from TV, ticket sales, food and donations, why couldn't they give more back to the student athletes. If he gets anything form anyone but me, they investigate, so what are they supposed to do? He gets a small amount from the NCAA, but that's not enough. They should figure something out. Paying for two college students is a pain. Lol Originally Posted by ladylove12
I agree completely. It is time to let them earn money. A college degree is almost worthless these days, anyway, might as well let them make some money because very few go pro.
In a way, it is somewhat amusing - you make more money with an audience of one than he makes with an audience of millions!!
if you start paying one student athlete, you will have to pay all of the student athletes.
Political? Come on!
if you start paying one student athlete, you will have to pay all of the student athletes. Originally Posted by JCM800
ok then, let them earn money off their signatures, etc.
Just slightly off the mark...

Let the alumni pay the student/athletes or set then up with cushy jobs. To the OP: does your brother start?
While I certainly agree with you in theory, and I agree it is the way that student-athletes should think, for many football/basketball/baseball players, college is simply a pass-through to a pro career. More-so in basketball than in football though. Certainly short-sighted thinking on those that don't maximize the education opportunity given to them, but it is a fact of life for many student-athletes. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Well that might be true. I would support any guy who has that endeavor in mind to seek professional sports. Realize this though most now days do desire to walk away with a college education to fall back on in case they don't have a lasting career due to either injury or change of heart.
Just slightly off the mark...

Let the alumni pay the student/athletes or set then up with cushy jobs. To the OP: does your brother start? Originally Posted by gnadfly
That's basically against the Alumni Associations Policy.
Your point being????